Confirmed Signing with Link: Adam Mascherin signs with Skellefteå AIK, SHL, goes to Sweden

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Varmt välkommen, Adam Mascherin!

After signing his ELC in 2018, and waiting 3 years to get some games in the NHL
Adam Mascherin (23) goes to play for Skellefteå AIK, in the SHL.

I still think theres an NHL:er in him and this signing is a good stepping stone for him.

296 points in 250 games in the OHL + another 42 play-offs points (39 games)

Was almost ppg player in the AHL last season, scord about 20 goals, 50 points
in his rookie season in the AHL (18-19 season). For Texas Stars

Has 0 games in the NHL.

Reactions: BHD

Norwegianoiler

Nov 17, 2014
Still a decent prospect - and I am surprised that there aren't more players that go to Europe to boost their NHL chances like this - you get to see another part of the (hockey) world, probably get paid as much as you would riding highways in the US. and play at a higher level, too.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Surprising as a Stars fans I thought he had a real shot at making the team this year. However, we still get to keep his rights and he gets another year to develop without the threat of going through waivers

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
As a Kitchener Ranger I really liked him. He has a great shot. His skating wasn’t the best but I figured that his shooting would get him some NHL time. He has had a solid AHL career so I am surprised that he is not sticking around for another year or two.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Surprising as a Stars fans I thought he had a real shot at making the team this year. However, we still get to keep his rights and he gets another year to develop without the threat of going through waivers

Where ? The top 9 will be ( in no particular order ) Hintz , Robertson , Pavelski , Benn , Seguin , Gurianov , Radulov , Faksa , Kiviranta and then have a checking line of Raffl-Glendening-Comeau.

He is not a checking line defensive player and he's not beating out the top 9 . He'd have to fight to get injury callups with waiver exempt prospects.

He migth have asked for a 1-way deal and the Stars just can't provide him an opportunity for that this year.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Where ? The top 9 will be ( in no particular order ) Hintz , Robertson , Pavelski , Benn , Seguin , Gurianov , Radulov , Faksa , Kiviranta and then have a checking line of Raffl-Glendening-Comeau.

He is not a checking line defensive player and he's not beating out the top 9 . He'd have to fight to get injury callups with waiver exempt prospects.

He migth have asked for a 1-way deal and the Stars just can't provide him an opportunity for that this year.

Likely as a heathy scratch, but if he performed well I could have seen Raffl getting scratched and Kiviranta moving to the checking line

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Likely as a heathy scratch, but if he performed well I could have seen Raffl getting scratched and Kiviranta moving to the checking line

Stars like to do the AHL-NHL limbo with some of their healthy scratches. Can't do that with someone requiring waivers. Caamano and Hanley both require waivers. I think the 3rd extra will be someone waiver exempt ( Gardner still is by the way ) . I personally think Mascherin was unhappy with the AHL salary he was offered. Pretty sure he wanted at least L'Esperance AHL money ( 250k ) . Was that on the table ? Dunno maybe not.

Reactions: AveryStar4Eva

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013

Well if Benn does play center as was sort of indicated before free agency then the second line LW could have been a possibility for him or Damiani (cap savings reasons). A bit more of long shot with Faksa/Glendening at 3/4C, you are right.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Well if Benn does play center as was sort of indicated before free agency then the second line LW could have been a possibility for him or Damiani (cap savings reasons). A bit more of long shot with Faksa/Glendening at 3/4C, you are right.

I think the main sticking point must've been money. Stars don't give RFA's without arbitration rights that aren't really NHL players more than ~100k on two-way deals if they're send to the AHL. I'm looking at what Caamano , Gleason , Gardner and Point got on their deals. Their AHL salaries are all around 100k . I don't think Stars offered more for a guy who has zero NHL experience.

Sure he had a nice AHL season last year but how much is that really worth ?

Last edited:

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
I think the main sticking point must've been money. Stars don't give RFA's without arbitration rights that aren't really NHL players more than ~100k on two-way deals if they're send to the AHL. I'm looking at what Caamano , Gleason , Gardner and Point got on their deals. Their AHL salaries are all around 100k . I don't think Stars offered more for a guy who zero NHL experience.

Sure he had a nice AHL season last year but how much is that really worth ?

Yeah for sure that could’ve been a sticking point. Went through re-draft and grinded out low salary AHL years.

I would still bet that an (realistic) okay length NHL call-up gig would have netted him more than the Swedish league salary.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Wait, he is going to Sweden to play in the Swedish Hockey League?

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Yes, evidently he considers himself too good for Allsvenskan.

My comment was based on the title showing the team, league and then adding Sweden at the end. Like he is going to play in the SHL while being in Dallas or something.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad