Player Discussion: Adam Lowry

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
Lowry and his line have had themselves several very good games since the heat got turned up in this thread. Another goal last night in Chicago.

I think Lowsie is going to be a beast in the playoffs this year for us.
I hope so. Looking at that lines stats since they started playing together is depressing. Little 2 points, Tanev 5 points (3 in 1 game last week), Lowry 5 points (4 in the last 2 games).

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Don't blame Tanev, he's playing with plugs ( :) ). Seriously though Tanev has pretty much doubled his career stats this year. 14 goals and 29 points is just fine for someone in that role.

Lowry on the other hand has been really underwhelming. I can't help feeling he's worried about staying healthy. He doesn't hit as much or as hard, and I feel like that's where he gets his moxie from.

I don't really have any issue with Tanev, he's played well. I just think Lowry and Tanev are more suited to a fourth line energy role with lots of PK time. I think we need to use the Copp line more at ES as it can generate enough offense while being able to beat the comp.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Don't blame Tanev, he's playing with plugs ( :) ). Seriously though Tanev has pretty much doubled his career stats this year. 14 goals and 29 points is just fine for someone in that role.

Lowry on the other hand has been really underwhelming. I can't help feeling he's worried about staying healthy. He doesn't hit as much or as hard, and I feel like that's where he gets his moxie from.

I think the problem is Adam doesn’t have the body type to sustain a physical game. He is big but he just doesn’t have the durability so he has to pick his spots and games. We will see what the playoffs brings but Adam (like Blake, Mark, and Patrik) have all taken steps back this year especially in the 2nd half of the season.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
I think the problem is Adam doesn’t have the body type to sustain a physical game. He is big but he just doesn’t have the durability so he has to pick his spots and games. We will see what the playoffs brings but Adam (like Blake, Mark, and Patrik) have all taken steps back this year especially in the 2nd half of the season.
I get the feeling that he is playing to be healthy when the Play Offs start. Didn’t he play with an injured shoulder going in to the PO last season? When healthy, he can ramp it up and cause mayhem when the season is on the line.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I get the feeling that he is playing to be healthy when the Play Offs start. Didn’t he play with an injured shoulder going in to the PO last season? When healthy, he can ramp it up and cause mayhem when the season is on the line.

I believe he was banged up last year late.

Last edited:

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
I don't really have any issue with Tanev, he's played well. I just think Lowry and Tanev are more suited to a fourth line energy role with lots of PK time. I think we need to use the Copp line more at ES as it can generate enough offense while being able to beat the comp.
Too bad Copp shoots like Mike Eagles.

Reactions: KB1971

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Too bad Copp shoots like Mike Eagles.

The upside is if he shot better he would be too expensive for us to keep. Andrew is one of my favorite Jets and probably the forward I trust the most to defend responsibly. He is a very heady athelete and I am glad we have him in the Jets.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
The upside is if he shot better he would be too expensive for us to keep. Andrew is one of my favorite Jets and probably the forward I trust the most to defend responsibly.
I love him, just wish he could hit the net. Someone should tell him to aim for the goalie's chest.

Reactions: ps241

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia

I believe he went in healthy but that shoulder got re-aggravated early in the Minny series. Wasn’t the same after that.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
WTF has happened to Lowry this year? We're almost a third of the way into the season and he has 2 goals and 2 assists. That is 4th line offense if you ask me. Was Tanev the straw that stirred the Big Gulp?

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
WTF has happened to Lowry this year? We're almost a third of the way into the season and he has 2 goals and 2 assists. That is 4th line offense if you ask me. Was Tanev the straw that stirred the Big Gulp?
Hopefully if Little comes back it bumps Lowry down to 4C. He's getting top 9 mins but his scoring has been abysmal this year. seems quite likely that his 17-18 scoring at 5v5 was an anomaly.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010

I think his play has been good to very good. Earlier on IIRC, he was stapled to Bourque and Letestu. Not much chance to put up much with those 2 IMO.

Reactions: kanadalainen

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Lowry's about our best defensive C. He wins draws, and limits the opposition's scoring opportunities. He doesn't need to score a lot - just outscore the other team when he's out there...and he does. If he had some hands he'd be a Selke finalist.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
He's playing shut down minutes against top line talent many nights - hard to expect goal production on top of that, especially when he was never expected to be a goal scorer and is paid accordingly

Last edited:

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Scoring down, fighting up.

Reasonable trade-off?

Doesn't help that the scorer on that line is Perrault -- who has had some great games, but is no sniper at this point in his career.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Scoring down, fighting up.

Reasonable trade-off?

Doesn't help that the scorer on that line is Perrault -- who has had some great games, but is no sniper at this point in his career.
There's really no perceptible decline in Perreault's scoring abilities this year.

Perreault's career - SH%: 13.3; Goals/Game: 0.213; 5v5 G/60: 0.94
Perreault's 2019-20 - SH%: 13.0; Goals/Game: 0.214; 5v5 G/60: 0.93

He's having a pretty average year for him. And his average is pretty decent. His 5v5 G/60 is 2nd only to Ehlers this year. His SH% is 5th on the team. He's near the top of just about every individual offensive fancystat. He's got a positive penalty differential. He's crushing it this year.

Reactions: surixon

hn777

Apr 22, 2019
Since 2018 Lowry has had pretty much the lowest goal/points production rates among all regular Jets forwards. Also, worse than linemates Copp, Perreault, Tanev etc. He doesn't have the hands nor offensive instincts, I'm afraid. However, he is elite defensively and a very important player for the Jets overall.

Reactions: GNP

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
He's playing shut down minutes against top line talent many nights - hard to expect goal production on top of that

Why? Seems pretty easy to score goals against our top line. :sarcasm:

Look, I get that Lowry isn't a big scorer, but this year he seems to have fallen off the proverbial cliff in that regard.

Krauser

Oct 3, 2017
Lowry is one of the best defensive forwards in the league.

Among players with 300+ minutes over 5v5 icetime this year, only 3 have been on ice for fewer than the 6 goals that Lowry has been on the ice for. That's despite a high percentage of defensive zone starts (>62%) and what seems to be a high quality of competition.

Maurice uses Lowry's line to neutralize a major part of the opposition's offense. They do that very well. Lowry's role is a major reason why the Jets' low-event style of play has been producing so many close wins: anytime they keep a clean sheet (usually on both offense and defense), the rest of the team faces easier opposition and only has to win their matchups to produce a win for the team overall.

hn777

Apr 22, 2019
Poor Lowry! Him scoring tonight with that great move instead of hitting the post, would have been poetic justice for the guy after our discussion about his lack of offense:(

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad