Player Discussion: Adam Lowry

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
And after a hot (see: extremely lucky) period of games, Tanev has exactly one point, an assist, in his last 17 games. I’ll give it to Lowry that he still does a pretty decent job of keeping the puck out of his own net but without the offence, they are both liabilities with the icetime they get. As a fourth line, they’d be more than fine but Maurice plays them both out of their depth. And Tanev is clearly never coming close to 13 goals ever again.
Definitely agree that Lowry line needs more P/60. I thought this last year even more since they were playing second line minutes. Need offense in that time.

And really, every hot streak is usually "luck". No one goes on a hot streak while shooting 5%, etc.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Andrew Copp is proving he can handle playing center and be productive and seems to have more offence in his game. Would anyone trade Lowry and restock some picks if it meant keeping Hayes?

Lowry is more a shutdown power forward that doesn't have good scoring hands at all, and a bit overrated. H e certainly is one of the most rugged, and toughest guys on the team, and he plays that role well. I think Copp is the better player, and I've been impressed with him this year, and he has "not bad" scoring touch as well.

Since Hayes has come to the Jets, I think that Bryan Little has got lost in the shuffle, and isn't scoring, and he's a talented player.

I'd like to see Little used more effectively as other posters have stated. I'd like to see Little center Perrault, and Roslovic, and we'll get very good results from this trio, playing on the 3rd line.

Just drop Lowry to the 4th line, and have him play with Copp, and Tanev, and these would make a more well rounded lineup, and be way more productive on the scoreboard.

Would I trade Lowry -- yes , if the return was right, and we had got a player that was more productive. I'd only do this if I felt we had someone that would fill his enforcer role, so our guys don't get pushed around. It's a bit of a dilemma ?? :huh:

Reactions: wgpsensfan

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Some key players do not seem to feel accountability compared to previous years.

It happens. I think Scheif and Lowry had internal accountability for the first several years. They worked hard no matter what because they are high character guys. Sometimes that drive slides over time.
So, what’s the answer?
EXTERNAL accountability. Unfortunately that seems to be lacking - and it’s a big problem that needs to be addressed.

AKAChip

Nov 19, 2013
Winnipeg
Liability may not be the right word but we need a change. Can’t afford to have these guys not producing something. I’d like to split Tanev and Lowry but that’s fairly unlikely.
I’d like to see it too since it couldn’t hurt at this point and even more importantly, it puts one on the fourth instead of both on the third.

AKAChip

Nov 19, 2013
Winnipeg
Definitely agree that Lowry line needs more P/60. I thought this last year even more since they were playing second line minutes. Need offense in that time.

And really, every hot streak is usually "luck". No one goes on a hot streak while shooting 5%, etc.
You’re absolutely right regarding the hot streaks, however talented offensive players get by on more than just lucky shooting percentages. Tanev doesn’t create for his teammates or have a good shot. When his shots go in, it’s almost always off a turnover when the goalie is caught off guard, or a softie that the goalie shouldn’t have let in. Of course, if he were on the fourth line, any offence he provided would be a bonus rather than something more or less required while playing on the third line. I just hate to see people thinking he had turned some sort of offensive corner early on in the season when it was clearly just good fortune.

Reactions: Maukkis

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
It happens. I think Scheif and Lowry had internal accountability for the first several years. They worked hard no matter what because they are high character guys. Sometimes that drive slides over time.
So, what’s the answer?
EXTERNAL accountability. Unfortunately that seems to be lacking - and it’s a big problem that needs to be addressed.
You think the Jets org lacks external accountability? Really? I think the Jets have built a very strong culture, I think they have pretty clear values and a commitment to winning. Really should be all someone needs to be internally accountable. External accountability isn't coercion, it's providing the environment to achieve your best.

Personally I think Scheifele and Lowry are very accountable to their teammates and organization, as well as themselves.

Reactions: DiggerD

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
You’re absolutely right regarding the hot streaks, however talented offensive players get by on more than just lucky shooting percentages. Tanev doesn’t create for his teammates or have a good shot. When his shots go in, it’s almost always off a turnover when the goalie is caught off guard, or a softie that the goalie shouldn’t have let in. Of course, if he were on the fourth line, any offence he provided would be a bonus rather than something more or less required while playing on the third line. I just hate to see people thinking he had turned some sort of offensive corner early on in the season when it was clearly just good fortune.
Something something working hard beats talent when talent doesn't work hard. :laugh:

13 goals out of Tanev is a nice surprise, but Maurice once said he wants 40 goals out of the third line:

Tanev = 13
Lowry = 9

2/3 = 22 goals

3rd Wingers
Copp = 11
Rosie = 7
Perreault = 14
Little = 15 (shouldn't count for 3rd line)

Seems like the third line is going to miss.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Copp has made huge strides since he came into the league, solid player who can play up and down the roster and fill a variety of roles, downside not a lot of offensive skill or scoring ability.

Lowry is almost the same player he was/is when he came into the league, lumbering big centre with no offensive upside, no scoring ability and slotted into a line where he really should produce more than what he has! Not a lot of marked improvement in his game since year one!

Mbraunm

Oct 19, 2016
You think the Jets org lacks external accountability? Really? I think the Jets have built a very strong culture, I think they have pretty clear values and a commitment to winning. Really should be all someone needs to be internally accountable. External accountability isn't coercion, it's providing the environment to achieve your best.

Personally I think Scheifele and Lowry are very accountable to their teammates and organization, as well as themselves.

I tend to disagree with this. Having a culture and values will not come close to ensuring that players play according to that culture and values-not even close.

Like any business and workforce, in addition to a corporate culture, mission and values, it is essential to establish and maintain accountability. Whenever a worker or player strays from those values then those values must be supported and reinforced.

In the NHL, this is performed by the coaching staff who hold all players to an equal standard. The coaching staff maintains the values and culture. If this is no longer performed effectively by the coaching staff, then the internal leadership (players, captain) will not be able to maintain that culture on their own.

The regular season so far hasn’t been a great indication of the overall accountability and leadership of this team. However, who knows? The coaches may be waiting for the playoffs to establish and demand full 60 minute efforts. The playoffs will give us the answer.

AKAChip

Nov 19, 2013
Winnipeg
And this is less of a Lowry issue and more of a Maurice issue but it takes a REALLY bad and clueless coach to have pairs of unbreakable guys. I don’t care how historically good offensively Scheifele and Wheeler have been or how good at suppressing shots Lowry and Tanev have been together. At this very moment and for the past number of months, neither of these pairing have been working. Separating them for a period of time doesn’t mean they can’t be reunited eventually. The fact that it hasn’t even been tried for a short period says all that needs to be said about this coach.

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
Copp has made huge strides since he came into the league, solid player who can play up and down the roster and fill a variety of roles, downside not a lot of offensive skill or scoring ability.

Lowry is almost the same player he was/is when he came into the league, lumbering big centre with no offensive upside, no scoring ability and slotted into a line where he really should produce more than what he has! Not a lot of marked improvement in his game since year one!
Agreed. He is what he is. In my opinion he is the reason that the team has had to go out and get Stasney and Hayes in consecutive years. Close to 3 million a year to score 10-12 goals isn't exactly prudent cap management regardless of how good he is defensively. Time to sell high on this guy and get some picks back to restock because other than Vesalainen they don't have much coming.

Reactions: sipowicz

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Agreed. He is what he is. In my opinion he is the reason that the team has had to go out and get Stasney and Hayes in consecutive years. Close to 3 million a year to score 10-12 goals isn't exactly prudent cap management regardless of how good he is defensively. Time to sell high on this guy and get some picks back to restock because other than Vesalainen they don't have much coming.

Totally agree. Time for some Belichicking on the Jets, trade expendable vets on the cusp of going down and bring in vital new blood.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
I tend to disagree with this. Having a culture and values will not come close to ensuring that players play according to that culture and values-not even close.

Like any business and workforce, in addition to a corporate culture, mission and values, it is essential to establish and maintain accountability. Whenever a worker or player strays from those values then those values must be supported and reinforced.

In the NHL, this is performed by the coaching staff who hold all players to an equal standard. The coaching staff maintains the values and culture. If this is no longer performed effectively by the coaching staff, then the internal leadership (players, captain) will not be able to maintain that culture on their own.

The regular season so far hasn’t been a great indication of the overall accountability and leadership of this team. However, who knows? The coaches may be waiting for the playoffs to establish and demand full 60 minute efforts. The playoffs will give us the answer.
External accountability is providing an environment for success, to allow and encourage people to achieve to their fullest capabilities. It provides a place in which people are highly internally accountable as a result.

The coaching staff making people accountable as a form of external accountability is a myth. The environment is there, if players aren't accountable to it, then they are lacking internally. Which I doubt is the case.

What you're suggesting by the coaching staff making players accountable is to somehow discipline them in some way in order for them to be more accountable. Whether it's though reduced ice time or a change in the pecking order with the lineup.

I don't buy into that, it's what I said before, it's coercion. No organization will have any long term success with that type of thinking. The external motivation has to be the environment with which internal accountability is important to the players. I think the Jets do that, I also don't think accountability is an issue for Scheifele or Lowry. I find it ridiculous tbh.

Reactions: Ibanezrokr

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
I dumped all over Lowry the other day and he has a 3 point night! I should have done it sooner. Correct me if I'm wrong but the broadcast said those were the first points that line got in 10 (!) games.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

If he got PP time, which he was pretty effective with, he'd be around 40 points. He's a valuable player. A guy who can handle top line matchups, can kill penalties well. Faceoff beast. I think this playoff, healthy again, might be a breakout for him. I wouldn't sell his leadership off this team, because no bright young star in the system is going to replace it. I'd kind of like to see Dr. Suess, who is a similar player, crashing and banging with him next year, alongside a speedster.

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
I dumped all over Lowry the other day and he has a 3 point night! I should have done it sooner. Correct me if I'm wrong but the broadcast said those were the first points that line got in 10 (!) games.

Lowry and his line have had themselves several very good games since the heat got turned up in this thread. Another goal last night in Chicago.

I think Lowsie is going to be a beast in the playoffs this year for us.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Yup, last year they were great in the role as not only did they defend well but they scored at a very high rate as a line.

This season both Lowry and Tanev are producing at fourth line rates and Little's ES production has dropped like a stone since being played with them.

Ideally Maurice elevates Perrault - Copp - Little are elevated to third line minutes. All are scoring at >1.5 p/60, Copp is a better all around player than Lowry, Perrault still drives possesion and Little can still produce playing with players who can carry the mail.

Don't blame Tanev, he's playing with plugs ( :) ). Seriously though Tanev has pretty much doubled his career stats this year. 14 goals and 29 points is just fine for someone in that role.

Lowry on the other hand has been really underwhelming. I can't help feeling he's worried about staying healthy. He doesn't hit as much or as hard, and I feel like that's where he gets his moxie from.

Reactions: surixon and GNP

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad