Adam Larsson

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
Question for everyone. With the Devils in complete disarray, their fans are looking for changes. Many have been open to trading Larsson. My question is if you guys would be willing to trade Simmonds and either a 2014 2nd or 2015 1st for Larsson. Many Devils fan see it as a fair trade even if they wouldn't trade him to Philly out of principal.

Am I missing something? I see this as an opportunity for us to fulfill that #1 dman need without the price being too high (ie - someone like G, Voracek or even B Schenn).

If we could add Larsson to our group of young dmen then with the prospects we have coming our defense could be set for the next decade.

It may hurt a little losing Simmonds but to get a #1 dman in the making I think it's a price we should pay

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
Nah, don't want to trade Simmonds the division.

I understand that, it's the main reason Devil fans don't want to trade us Larsson. However, while inter-division trades are rare, they do happen. Just off the top of my head there was Tocchett to the Pens for Racchi (a win for us) and Lindros to the Rangers for "whatever".

While I don't relish the ideas of Simmonds wanting "revenge" against us for trading him and having that happen half a dozen times a year (plus possibly the playoffs) remember that we'd have Larsson on our side looking for the same against the Devils.

I just think that if we can turn Simmonds (a 2nd/3rd line tweener) and a pick into a legit top pairing dman (especially one that could become a for real #1 guy) I think we should do it even if it means dealing within the division.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Question for everyone. With the Devils in complete disarray, their fans are looking for changes. Many have been open to trading Larsson. My question is if you guys would be willing to trade Simmonds and either a 2014 2nd or 2015 1st for Larsson. Many Devils fan see it as a fair trade even if they wouldn't trade him to Philly out of principal.

Am I missing something? I see this as an opportunity for us to fulfill that #1 dman need without the price being too high (ie - someone like G, Voracek or even B Schenn).

If we could add Larsson to our group of young dmen then with the prospects we have coming our defense could be set for the next decade.

It may hurt a little losing Simmonds but to get a #1 dman in the making I think it's a price we should pay

If and that's a big IF our scouts are unanimously convinced that he will be a #1 I would consider the proposed deal.

If we only get a project who becomes a Coburn lite this is horrible value.

dookie88

Aug 18, 2008
Germany
To me Larsson is too much of a project at this point in time.
Depending on where it ends up I would however trade our first this year for Gormley.

Don't care if this draft is in Philly or not.

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
If and that's a big IF our scouts are unanimously convinced that he will be a #1 I would consider the proposed deal.

If we only get a project who becomes a Coburn lite this is horrible value.

I agree. It's no secret that Larsson has struggled since being drafted but that's not entirely his fault. He was 18, is still just the same age as Coots, and hasn't been given much help on ice. He hasn't had any mentoring on the ice, he was just thrown to the wolves against some of the leagues top players and expected to be the"savior" of the Devils defense. It's an overwhelming task for any young dman. Oel and Pietrangelo were given time to develop. Subban struggled a lot in his first few years. If we want a guy who can be a true #1 then we are going to have to take a chance BEFORE they break out.

Larsson has ALL the tools to become a true #1. Most importantly he has it between the ears. His vision and understanding of the game have never been a question mark. Coburn has all the tools but just doesn't have it between the ears, something Larsson doesn't suffer from.

I'll be honest with everyone, from last year through this year I've been unimpressed with Simmonds. He has stone hands. He just can't put the puck in the net and a PWF who can't score is pretty useless. Trading him doesn't bother me in the least. If he can be the center piece in a deal for a guy with even just a CHANCE of becoming a true #1 then I wouldn't lose a nights sleep even if that guy turns out to be just another"Coburn". I know everyone here is just so in love with Simmonds but honestly, look at his play unbiasedly. What he does well is hitting, hustling, and fighting. That's about it. He's just not a good play maker nor goal scorer.

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
To me Larsson is too much of a project at this point in time.
Depending on where it ends up I would however trade our first this year for Gormley.

Don't care if this draft is in Philly or not.

I would make that trade too, however I don't think that Gormley will be as good as Larsson.

As far as Larsson being a project, I think that if he were paired with Streit that he'd get the mentoring necessary for him to develop into that #1. Streit has been around for a long while and he knows the game. I truly believe that he can be a calming presence for Larsson when things get hectic much like Timonen is with Coburn. Larsson would have 3 1/2 years to work with Streit and by then I honestly believe he'd be a legit #1.

zarley zelepukin

Oct 25, 2008
Norristown, PA
I haven't followed Larsson's development that closely, but if he still has a reasonable shot at being a #1, you need to make that deal. I like Simmonds, but it's not like he's going to turn into Mario Lemieux if he gets traded.

laundryman

Jun 28, 2011
I don't want to trade any draft picks. That's how our prospect pool became so depleted.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I would 100% do Simmonds and a 2nd for him. It's much easier to find 2nd-3rd line wingers as UFA's to replace SOME of what Simmonds does, than it is to find d-men.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad