Adam Larsson vs Ryan Murray

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
No offense to other 2012 prospects but Ryan Murray is indicating to be the real deal on defense. Just wondering how you'd compare Larsson to Murray. Also, if you're Edmonton or Ottawa ... I know it's a bit of a stretch ... but you won't find another Nugent-Hopkins next season ... at least, it's unlikely to ... Just wondering if you'd go for RNH this year and plan on sucking next year and take a shot at Murray in 2012.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
No offense to other 2012 prospects but Ryan Murray is indicating to be the real deal on defense. Just wondering how you'd compare Larsson to Murray. Also, if you're Edmonton or Ottawa ... I know it's a bit of a stretch ... but you won't find another Nugent-Hopkins next season ... at least, it's unlikely to ... Just wondering if you'd go for RNH this year and plan on sucking next year and take a shot at Murray in 2012.

I'm not sure why you think there won't be forward prospects as good as RNH next year. I can't think of a year in the last 10 years where there hasn't been an equal or better forward prospect to RNH (And I do like him as a prospect).

I also don't see how Ottawa or Edmonton think for one second about next year's draft when they make their pick this year. Aside from the fact there is no way to know how bad (or good) there team will be at this point, what their future needs will be and what the draft will look like, remains to be seen (despite there seemingly being a lot of solid D prospects).

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
i would say Larsson. Murray may not be that much ahead of Reinhart, Reilly and co. But this is a fairly uninformed opinion lol

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
I'm not sure why you think there won't be forward prospects as good as RNH next year. I can't think of a year in the last 10 years where there hasn't been an equal or better forward prospect to RNH (And I do like him as a prospect).

I also don't see how Ottawa or Edmonton think for one second about next year's draft when they make their pick this year. Aside from the fact there is no way to know how bad (or good) there team will be at this point, what their future needs will be and what the draft will look like, remains to be seen (despite there seemingly being a lot of solid D prospects).

It's not much a prospect as good as Ryan Nugent-Hopkins. I'm sure Nail Yakupov is just as good a prospect. However, at what he does, I'm not sure we will see a prospect as good as Ryan Nugent-Hopkins at playmaking. I think every few years we see a good defenseman who's a great defender and can provide offense. We also get more balanced forwards, better scorers and whatnot. I'm not sure we get as many top playmaking centermen as RNH.

i would say Larsson. Murray may not be that much ahead of Reinhart, Reilly and co. But this is a fairly uninformed opinion lol

I think what sets Murray apart is the combination of offense and defense at such a young age. Rielly is terrific offensively, but not as good defensively. Reinhart is a good defender but not as solid offensively.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
It's not much a prospect as good as Ryan Nugent-Hopkins. I'm sure Nail Yakupov is just as good a prospect. However, at what he does, I'm not sure we will see a prospect as good as Ryan Nugent-Hopkins at playmaking. I think every few years we see a good defenseman who's a great defender and can provide offense. We also get more balanced forwards, better scorers and whatnot. I'm not sure we get as many top playmaking centermen as RNH.

I'm not even sure RNH is the best playmaker in this draft. Couturier averages a similar assists per game ratio, and that's without forgoing the shooting opportunities RNH does (Couturier scores more goals).

That said, even if the team's did feel he was the best playmaker in this draft, I don't think they make a decision based on that fact alone. Especially since we don't know whether a better playmaking center will be in text year's draft. For example, a guy like Patrick Kane wasn't even rating as a top 15 pick a year before the draft, but then a year later, they are the top pick (and a better playmaker than RNH, as an example). Backstrom was a solid prospect, but wasn't seen as the top guy a year out either. Meanwhile, other draft years have guys like Tavares, Stamkos and Hall come along. I'm sure either team would rather have one of those forward-type prospects than RNH, in a heart beat.

zjh

@ZenonHerasymiuk
Jan 24, 2011
AB88
Do you guys think the acquisition if Teubert means the Oliers will target another forward or will they still get Larssen. I was almost certain they would take Larssen but this changes things. IMHO Murray by a hair is better.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
Do you guys think the acquisition if Teubert means the Oliers will target another forward or will they still get Larssen. I was almost certain they would take Larssen but this changes things. IMHO Murray by a hair is better.

For me it doesn't, for the Oilers maybe it does. Teubert to me is a tough kid with good puck-moving skills, though not a PP QB. However, he needs work defensively and does not project as a shutdown guy, in my book. Larsson is a shutdown guy with offensive upsides. Not the most physical player out there but gets it done defensively and obviously projects as a top-pairing guy. Teubert is more of a 3rd pairing d-man.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site

Teubert most certainly doesn't make Larsson redundant. No more than having a Brendan Witt would make a Nick Lidstrom redundant. Two very different defenders.

They actually might make a good top pairing in the future, but either way both could certainly play a nice complimentary role together in the top 4.

Even when it comes to the Sens, Larsson brings a unique combination of an all-around d-men the Sens don't really have even with Karlsson, Cowen, Rundblad and Wiercioch in the fold.

seadawg

Sep 22, 2008

I think Edmonton's #1 objective at the deadline was to acquire a dman (rumors they were going after Bogosian and Blum, but "settled" for Teubert) so that they could placate the fans when they select RNH (assuming Edmonton has the first overall pick).

Akonite

Mar 9, 2010
Edmonton, Alberta
I think Edmonton's #1 objective at the deadline was to acquire a dman (rumors they were going after Bogosian and Blum, but "settled" for Teubert) so that they could placate the fans when they select RNH (assuming Edmonton has the first overall pick).

The Oilers weren't shopping Hemsky, Penner, or Smid; so by extension we weren't going after Bogosian etc. The Penner deal made sense in it's own right and that's why it was done. They'll take RNH if they believe he is the BPA, we need centers with top end potential as well as defenseman.

zjh

@ZenonHerasymiuk
Jan 24, 2011
AB88
I know Larssen is a lot better than Teubert but with the defensive depth of the 2012 draft do they take a forward. Does trading Penner mean they go with the bigger bodied Couturier over RNH. Man I'm trying to make a mock and I'm having trouble with the Oil.

As for Murray I think he is just a hair ahead of where Larssen was last year. Just an all around guy. Maybe a bit of a smaller Pietrangelo with his ability to work the PP and shutdown.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
If Larsson was playing major junior he would be hyped to ridiculous levels, it's him. I don't want to say easily but by a decent margin I'd say.

SeattleShark

Jul 16, 2010
Its crazy to think that its not even Murrays draft year.

Id take larsson right now but things can change in a year

R S

Sep 18, 2006
If Larsson was playing major junior he would be hyped to ridiculous levels, it's him. I don't want to say easily but by a decent margin I'd say.

Well of course it's Larsson right now.

But long term, I want Murray. The Niedermayer comparisons are just too close to how he plays on the ice. The kid is amazing.

umwoz

Feb 28, 2010
What makes Murray so much worse than Larsson that it is an easy choice for you? I've also seen both play and think this is a hell of a close comparison so I'd like to hear your thoughts on Murray

Level of competition in the SEL is miles ahead of any of the CHL leagues.

Murray looks like he will be a great defenseman, but to be honest I'm not 100% sure that he's the top defenseman of the class.(Reinhart)

seadawg

Sep 22, 2008
I know Larssen is a lot better than Teubert but with the defensive depth of the 2012 draft do they take a forward. Does trading Penner mean they go with the bigger bodied Couturier over RNH. Man I'm trying to make a mock and I'm having trouble with the Oil.

what you are saying makes some sense, but the 2012 draft has lots of great forwards too

I hope the Oilers don't have a lottery pick three years in a row, but if they grab RNH this year and then next year have another lottery pick, do they pass on Yakupov? What about Grigorenko? He is a big body centre which is EXACTLY what the Oilers need. They shouldn't worry too much about the 2012 draft and grab the BPA this year and worry about 2012 in 2012.

But, I do get what you are saying. I hope the Oilers grab Larsson, but I think they will take RNH if they have the choice.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
What makes Murray so much worse than Larsson that it is an easy choice for you? I've also seen both play and think this is a hell of a close comparison so I'd like to hear your thoughts on Murray

Level of competition in the SEL is miles ahead of any of the CHL leagues.

Murray looks like he will be a great defenseman, but to be honest I'm not 100% sure that he's the top defenseman of the class.(Reinhart)

Those two answered it well for me.

No knack on Murray whatsoever, it's just that Larsson is the real deal, imo and anyone who knows me will tell you i'm pushing for Ottawa to draft him even though we need a forward like crazy.

Of course anything can happen but as of now, Larsson all day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->