Player Discussion Adam Larsson (Hall talk will result in a thread ban)

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
My boss lost her dad a while ago, she was off for two weeks.
I don't expect Adam to be gone much longer.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
My boss lost her dad a while ago, she was off for two weeks.
I don't expect Adam to be gone much longer.

Everything is different. Pro sports is pressure packed. One also has to consider the relative anomie of a Euro player feeling easily lost in NA. All the memories are in Europe. That's where you want to be when you are hurting. You want to be home, not in a foreign land. Add to this the trauma of Mr. Larsson passing away while visiting here. So that there are emotional triggers of the death, that are here.

I had a high pressure job that requires me to be on top of my game. Without distraction. I didn't feel right for months when my Dad died. I felt like I was pressured back into work immediately. ( I was) I felt an employer that expected me to be completely normal within a month. That's way too soon. The work world generally doesn't grant enough healing time. There's untold costs rushing people back to work.

The Oilers are dealing with this right, and respect, because they are stating "take as long as you need" Those are the kindest words you can say to an employee and that are invaluable. This season is done. Adam Larsson is worth it and you give him the time. You give the family the time and that pays dividends and not only with that player but with sending message about how the org treats players.

Last edited:

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
Well said. But my boss also knows how much we rely on her, much like Adam thinks about our team.
I feel that with us being out of the playoff race, he may be gone longer than I previously had thought.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Apologies if this has already been mentioned, but what can also complicate matters is if Larsson has any logistical matters to deal with, such as funeral arrangements or even if he's the executor of his dad's will. It's one thing to just having to deal with the grief and attend a funeral, it's a whole other ball of wax when you have all that AND have to handle the funeral arrangements and any other legal or business proceedings.

A couple of years ago, my sister's father-in-law suddenly passed away after complications from having a stroke during a vacation in Bermuda. She told me that her husband was hit by it huge, not just because it was not only his dad, but they were also business partners in the running of the family business and had to deal with all the funeral arrangements. My brother-in-law was under a huge amount of stress for quite a while, it was NOT easy.

My heart goes out to the poor guy and his family.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
In Sweden funerals are normally held within a month of the time of passing away (3 months is the legal limit). I don't think there are any issues with logistics Canada/Sweden, at least not legally, and I hope (and think) that Adam would have been helped by people in the EDM organisation if necessary.

I guess he'll be away until after the funeral at the very least. After that it all depends on himself, I for one would not blame him one bit if he stayed away for the rest of the season, even though I think it would probably do him good to be back sooner. Better to get back to "routine" and break down a couple of times with people you know and trust than to stay away, that is my experience anyhow.

Reactions: nexttothemoon

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Apologies if this has already been mentioned, but what can also complicate matters is if Larsson has any logistical matters to deal with, such as funeral arrangements or even if he's the executor of his dad's will. It's one thing to just having to deal with the grief and attend a funeral, it's a whole other ball of wax when you have all that AND have to handle the funeral arrangements and any other legal or business proceedings.

A couple of years ago, my sister's father-in-law suddenly passed away after complications from having a stroke during a vacation in Bermuda. She told me that her husband was hit by it huge, not just because it was not only his dad, but they were also business partners in the running of the family business and had to deal with all the funeral arrangements. My brother-in-law was under a huge amount of stress for quite a while, it was NOT easy.

My heart goes out to the poor guy and his family.
I don't know the Larsson family, but normally 100% goes to the partner (if married). Kids, even if adults, don't have a say unless there is a will (which is very uncommon in Swe)

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Very sorry to hear that, my condolences to you and all others that have lost a parent in this thread. I cannot imagine the pain that all of you have felt.

I am so sorry to hear that, my deepest condonleances to you.

So sorry to hear this man. While it's still tough to swallow most days, trust me when I say that it gets easier as time goes on. You find ways of dealing with it and your memories of him become happy ones.

If you ever need advice or just to chat someone who's been through it don't be afraid to message me. Take care my friend! All the best to you and your family.

:(

Such sad news. Condolences go out to Adam and his family.

I'm truly sorry for your loss.

sorry to hear that. :(

Thanks a lot guys. It's honestly really appreciated.

Reactions: Oilers Propagandist

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
One thing I have learned is that time helps heal all wounds. They won't go away, but it helps. Can't believe it's been 18 years since for me already. He was only 48 as well. Made me stronger.

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
I lost my dad when I was 16; right on the cusp of becoming a man. It sent me down a devastating downward spiral. If you were lucky enough to have had healthy parents during your formative years, you should be very grateful.

On a slightly unrelated note, it's clear that Adam is our best defenseman and that his best years are yet to come

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
Thanks a lot guys. It's honestly really appreciated.

Just hit 3 years for me.

Not that you were looking for advice - but get through the early formalities, then grieve your ass off any time you need to. Expect it to take a toll on you physically, months down the road (I didn't expect that). It's a bumpy ride, just don't keep anything bottled up.

PM's always open.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
Adam looked amazing in these WCs, on a team with 4 defencemen who are viewed as top 15 in the world.

I really hope he gets to be more creative in Edmonton next season, instead of just be a shutdown defensive defenceman.

Reactions: A91

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Adam looked amazing in these WCs, on a team with 4 defencemen who are viewed as top 15 in the world.

I really hope he gets to be more creative in Edmonton next season, instead of just be a shutdown defensive defenceman.
He was a great shut-down D in the WHC. Added a bit of offense but still, that is his strong suit and he did it really good.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
FYI, Larsson has stated in Swedish media how fun and energizing it has been to play for Sweden this tournament, because the coach and the team have allowed him to use his full skill set and be able to skate and move the puck more. You don't play Adam Larsson like Adam Foote if you can avoid it.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I think Larsson could be the biggest beneficiary of the Yawney addition (if it actually happens). I've always felt that Larsson has some untapped offensive potential, when he jumps up in the play he looks like he knows what he's doing. He just needs the confidence from his coach to green light some of that offense and not instill in him that he has to sit back and cover for his partner all the time.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Larsson also finished with a +13 rating, best on Team Sweden and I think 3rd best in tournament only behind Aho and Teräväinen who scored a ton of points for Finland.

Wonder when people are going to start appreciate how good he is defensively. It's not a coincidence he keeps leading his teams in that stat while playing shutdown minutes.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Larsson also finished with a +13 rating, best on Team Sweden and I think 3rd best in tournament only behind Aho and Teräväinen who scored a ton of points for Finland.

Wonder when people are going to start appreciate how good he is defensively. It's not a coincidence he keeps leading his teams in that stat while playing shutdown minutes.

I know that +/- isn't the end all be all of stats but it's pretty telling that Larsson is always big time in the + column regardless of his surroundings.
+15 on a Devils team that was a big negative 3 years ago, +21 on a very good Oilers team 2 years ago, +10 on a horrendous Oilers team last year and now one of the best Dmen on a stacked Swedish D. All playing a tough minutes role.

I don't care what the advanced stats folks and Oiler fans who have an intense hatred of the Hall trade say, Larsson is one of the most underrated Dmen in the league because of who he was traded for, his teams are always a lot better when he's on the ice. Get some more offense out of him next season if the coaches allow him to spread his offensive wings and he'll finally get the respect he deserves. He should get more respect even if he never improves his offense.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad