Adam Erne hit to the head of Jordan Weal

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Honestly didn't look dirty at all, but obviously there was some contact with the head too. The worst part was Detroit's colour guy just laughing at Weal and then saying "geez kid, it's a hitting league, I mean come on" when the guy was lying down on the ice. What a tool.

Mickey Redmond

Oct 8, 2019
Honestly didn't look dirty at all, but obviously there was some contact with the head too. The worst part was Detroit's colour guy just laughing at Weal and then saying "geez kid, it's a hitting league, I mean come on" when the guy was lying down on the ice. What a tool.

That would be Mickey Redmond. He played during the 70s, he makes those kind of comments.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Not a hit to the head at all. He hit him in the chest. If you do want to talk about actual head contact, maybe worry more about Folin on Ehn which was actually a hit to the head, albeit Ehn had his head low because he was reaching for the puck. Point is, stop trying to turn a normal hit into some massive bad play, to which you should be laughed out of the building for suggesting.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
2 games is my guess. Head was the principal point of contact from what I see.

FAIL! Principal point of contact was CHEST! Erne went in with shoulder to chest, just because the after affect may have gotten him in the head doesn't make that the principal point of contact. Principal means first, which is clearly not what happened. I actually watched the game, they showed it a number of times and everyone shows shoulder to chest as the principal point of contact. Man alive fans today want to turn everything into a witch-hunt. Also want to add, that Weal is smaller and the taller Erne still made sure to hit him in the chest first, head contact happens all the time on nice clean hits.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

Actually Redmond was laughing at the fans booing a normal hit, it wasn't about Weal. Redmond can absolutely be a homer at times, but here he was calling it like it is, a normal hit, and the fans immediately boo just because Weal was upset. He said, geez kids from what I remember hearing which for 65-70+ year old person means pretty much most in attendance at a hockey game.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Actually Redmond was laughing at the fans booing a normal hit, it wasn't about Weal. Redmond can absolutely be a homer at times, but here he was calling it like it is, a normal hit, and the fans immediately boo just because Weal was upset. He said, geez kids from what I remember hearing which for 65-70+ year old person means pretty much most in attendance at a hockey game.

Well you really couldn't tell from his laughter whether it was for Weal or the fans. Either way laughing for a play gives an unprofessional impression, especially when there's a guy lying down on the ice after getting hit in the head.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Well you really couldn't tell from his laughter whether it was for Weal or the fans. Either way laughing for a play gives an unprofessional impression, especially when there's a guy lying down on the ice after getting hit in the head.

Maybe, but thing is, he is a former player and has a players attitude about these things, as opposed to trying to be the most professional unbiased commentator.

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
I see a small player hunched over, and another player trying to bump him (from the front and with his arm tucked when contact was made) off and protecting the puck.

At most, 2min interference.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan

He didn’t think it was a dirty hit or that the player was injured. And neither happened. I don’t see the issue here?

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

Redmond was talking about the fans booing over a normal hit, it was pretty clear he wasnt talking about Weal when he said it. Redmond is old school and loves rough hockey but he would never make a comment like that about a player down on the ice lol come on

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
FAIL! Principal point of contact was CHEST! Erne went in with shoulder to chest, just because the after affect may have gotten him in the head doesn't make that the principal point of contact. Principal means first, which is clearly not what happened. I actually watched the game, they showed it a number of times and everyone shows shoulder to chest as the principal point of contact. Man alive fans today want to turn everything into a witch-hunt. Also want to add, that Weal is smaller and the taller Erne still made sure to hit him in the chest first, head contact happens all the time on nice clean hits.

Without discussing the rest of the contact; I don't think that's true. Principal means most important.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Without discussing the rest of the contact; I don't think that's true. Principal means most important.

I believe that it isn't necessarily first, maybe poor wording on my part, but initial contact or intended contact are more appropriate. He definitely intended to hit chest first which he did, and then as happens on many hits, they bounce off each other and the head gets contacted. This however is completely different to intentionally trying to hit someone in the head hits.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad