Prospect Info: Adam Beckman, LW, 75th Overall,

StanleyCup55

Feb 21, 2019
Minnesota
Great to see. He had a heck of a year up until season got cancelled.

Would imagine he’ll start in the AHL next season as a center?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
The Other Forward Prospect, I've been wondering about Beckman and how he fits in over the next few years.

He impressed in camp this year and while he hasn't really blown the doors off the AHL his scoring doesn't look bad for a first year pro. From @57special's reports in the Iowa thread they don't seem to be feeding him top line minutes, which I've been interpreting as an attempt to get him to round out his game and avoid railroading himself into a top-6-or-bust player.

One way or another a forward slot or five are likely to open up over the next few seasons, and after Boldy and Rossi he's got to be near the front of the line. He's less likely to get the choice 5v5 and powerplay minutes right away though, so he'll probably have to claw his way in from the lower lines.

He very much seems like the Zucker of this wave of Wild prospects.

Reactions: DemidovSaveUs

Wabit

May 23, 2016
The Other Forward Prospect, I've been wondering about Beckman and how he fits in over the next few years.

He impressed in camp this year and while he hasn't really blown the doors off the AHL his scoring doesn't look bad for a first year pro. From @57special's reports in the Iowa thread they don't seem to be feeding him top line minutes, which I've been interpreting as an attempt to get him to round out his game and avoid railroading himself into a top-6-or-bust player.

One way or another a forward slot or five are likely to open up over the next few seasons, and after Boldy and Rossi he's got to be near the front of the line. He's less likely to get the choice 5v5 and powerplay minutes right away though, so he'll probably have to claw his way in from the lower lines.

He very much seems like the Zucker of this wave of Wild prospects.

I'm thinking he spends his entire 3 year ELC in the AHL and used as a callup. Foligno, Hartman, and Zucc contract all end the same year. He basically get's Zucc's roster spot (if turns into anything obviously)

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Beckman/Khusnutdinov/2022 1st rounder is currently the hope to be a competent secondary scoring line behind Kap/Rossi/Boldy and the GREEF in 3 years.

Not out of the question that it turns out to be something pretty ok.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Zucker is a pretty good comp for Beckman. Zucker was faster, Beckman has a better shot. Both are scorers.

- Zucker scored 50 pts. in 55 gp in his D+3 year in the AHL. Beckman is quite ways behind that pace.

- Zucker didn't put more than 30 pts. in the NHL till his D+6/7 year. Hopefully Beckman can do better, or at least hope that we don't re-hire Yeo.

Beckman needs time. He could be NHL ready as early as next fall, or he might never be a full time NHL'er. He is a decent puck handler and passer, but he needs to be at least a better puck handler so he can possess the puck for longer, and create new shooting angles. Right now a lot of his shots are telegraphed. Some added strength would give him a bit of breakaway speed, help him in puck battles, and just allow him to survive better. He doesn't look particularly strong in the AHL.

My dark horse for some bottom six time on the Wild is Chaffee. He needs to stay healthy, though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bazeek

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
My gut says Guerin takes Fiala to arb again to get to a 1 year contract and plays out all next season with him as UFA. Wild are going for it anyways.

That would give Beckman enough time to get up to NHL skating and strength.

pfunk

Jul 1, 2019
My gut says Guerin takes Fiala to arb again to get to a 1 year contract and plays out all next season with him as UFA. Wild are going for it anyways.

That would give Beckman enough time to get up to NHL skating and strength.

If Boldy and Fiala keep producing the way they are now, that 1 year arb number is likely going to climb to something we can't afford.

Eegs

Jan 9, 2018
BC
Any chance Beckman makes the Wild out of camp guys?

I know he didn't exactly light the AHL on fire last year, but is there a chance we wins a spot in camp and gets on a line with Boldy? I feel like Boldy needs a scorer on his line with Fiala gone, and I don't see an obvious fit on the current roster. Not saying Beckman is that guy now, or ever will be, but his skillset seems suited to ride shotgun with Mr. Boldy.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN

I know he didn't exactly light the AHL on fire last year, but is there a chance we wins a spot in camp and gets on a line with Boldy? I feel like Boldy needs a scorer on his line with Fiala gone, and I don't see an obvious fit on the current roster. Not saying Beckman is that guy now, or ever will be, but his skillset seems suited to ride shotgun with Mr. Boldy.
Certainly possible and reasonably likely he gets a shot out of the gate this year, he “won” a spot last year after the Boldy injury and with Greenway starting on IR we have an opening that he would be a decent fill in for, the team loved him in the locker room last camp. Don’t think he plays much with Boldy to start though but it could happen at some point.

Reactions: Eegs

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

Slim to none. He's got a lot of work to do in the weight room, improving his skating, continuing to adapt to the physical game, and on the defense. He had a great training camp last year, but when the season started, he showed his age. They'll probably be looking for him to have a real nice season in Iowa before they start thinking about an NHL spot for him.

As for the roster, like Ovechkid08 said, Greenway being out to start opens up an extra spot off the bat. I feel like they're going to go with someone like Duhaime or Dewar (4th line guys last year), or Gaudreau, to move into that role, which opens up a spot on the fourth line. Beckman wouldn't be my first choice to fill that one though, due to the things I mentioned earlier that he needs to work on.

I see Boldy's line consisting of two of Rossi, Gaudreau, Jost and Steel. The other two will either fill out the fourth line/press box, or if Rossi is the odd man out, back in Iowa.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
At this point, Beckman has to be looked at as a scoring winger, who didn't score all that much in the AHL last year. He looked decent or better to me, and is not a limited one way player like Sokolov was, but he needs time. His skating is decent, but will get better with more strength, as will his board play and keep away game, hopefully.
Main thing for me, though, is that he needs to figure out how to score at the AHL level, nvm the NHL. I don't know exactly what went wrong last year...you can see he has a good shot, and loves to use it...maybe he's a tad too predictable? Unlucky?

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Main thing for me, though, is that he needs to figure out how to score at the AHL level, nvm the NHL. I don't know exactly what went wrong last year...you can see he has a good shot, and loves to use it...maybe he's a tad too predictable? Unlucky?
Optimistic take is that he needs a year to adjust to the speed of pro hockey and then he will take a massive jump forward like he did in the WHL.

I will say that the best version of him is a perfect fit with Boldy & Rossi

Eegs

Jan 9, 2018
BC
Slim to none. He's got a lot of work to do in the weight room, improving his skating, continuing to adapt to the physical game, and on the defense. He had a great training camp last year, but when the season started, he showed his age. They'll probably be looking for him to have a real nice season in Iowa before they start thinking about an NHL spot for him.

As for the roster, like Ovechkid08 said, Greenway being out to start opens up an extra spot off the bat. I feel like they're going to go with someone like Duhaime or Dewar (4th line guys last year), or Gaudreau, to move into that role, which opens up a spot on the fourth line. Beckman wouldn't be my first choice to fill that one though, due to the things I mentioned earlier that he needs to work on.

I see Boldy's line consisting of two of Rossi, Gaudreau, Jost and Steel. The other two will either fill out the fourth line/press box, or if Rossi is the odd man out, back in Iowa.
Pray it be Rossi on the wing and Gaudreau locking down center again in my books. Jost and Steel feel like landmines to me for Boldy.

Thanks for the great feedback! I watched Beckman a fair bit in the dub, and have followed him closely since, so I appreciate the insight.

At this point, Beckman has to be looked at as a scoring winger, who didn't score all that much in the AHL last year. He looked decent or better to me, and is not a limited one way player like Sokolov was, but he needs time. His skating is decent, but will get better with more strength, as will his board play and keep away game, hopefully.
Thanks. He's always been such a lanky kid, so I hope he's put in some major work in the gym. His shot is NHL level, but as you mention, maybe a bit predictable. Like the player, hope he becomes one for you guys.

Eegs

Jan 9, 2018
BC
Optimistic take is that he needs a year to adjust to the speed of pro hockey and then he will take a massive jump forward like he did in the WHL.

I will say that the best version of him is a perfect fit with Boldy & Rossi
I love this perspective. He's very likely a slow-bake prospect. Let him get some sort of comfort level and see how he does.

Reactions: MNRube

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I mean, if Duhaime and Dewar can make the NHL, surely Beckman can figure out a way.

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
I mean, if Duhaime and Dewar can make the NHL, surely Beckman can figure out a way.
Highly disagree, Dewar was an all around better player in the WHL, by far. That's why Dewar is able to transition professionally and Beckman is treading water. Higher odds Beckman doesn't see 20 career games in the NHL than him being a regular.

P10p

May 15, 2012
Highly disagree, Dewar was an all around better player in the WHL, by far. That's why Dewar is able to transition professionally and Beckman is treading water. Higher odds Beckman doesn't see 20 career games in the NHL than him being a regular.

I get what you're trying to say in that it isn't a "if Duhaime and Dewar can than Beckman can too" scenario. But also comparing Dewar to Beckman doesn't really work or do justice to Beckman. Totally different players and Dewar is 2 years further along in his development. "Dewar is able to transition while Beckman is treading water" makes no sense. As a rookie pro in the AHL Beckman put up a better season than Dewar ever has. Not really treading water compared to Dewar..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->