Movies: Ad Astra (Brad Pitt)

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
It does seem like they’ve done quite a bit of advertising on this, at least with the channels I watch. But I don’t think it’s been particularly great marketing, tbh. But the whole story is probably not that easy to promote in general.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Seeing a huge mix of (to put it in simple terms) “its amazing” and “it’s boring.” Kind of what I expected, tbh. I’m all for a divisive film. Excited to see where I fall on that spectrum.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Saw it this afternoon and really enjoyed it. Would probably be worth considering on iMax, lots of big iMax-worthy shots.

Without spoiling anything, I will say it’s far and away more story and introspective character driven then an action movie. If you go in expecting a big sci-fi action movie you’re going to be disappointed.

I dunno how much Pitt put into producing this, his Plan B org is listed as first or second exec producer. I have a bit of a soft spot for Pitt after producing much of World War Z, good movie that maybe doesn’t get done without him taking some risk on it.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Saw it this afternoon and really enjoyed it. Would probably be worth considering on iMax, lots of big iMax-worthy shots.

Without spoiling anything, I will say it’s far and away more story and introspective character driven then an action movie. If you go in expecting a big sci-fi action movie you’re going to be disappointed.

I dunno how much Pitt put into producing this, his Plan B org is listed as first or second exec producer. I have a bit of a soft spot for Pitt after producing much of World War Z, good movie that maybe doesn’t get done without him taking some risk on it.

So frustrating that the closest iMax to me is about 1.5 hours away.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

World War Z would have been done and better if someone other then Pitt and his people weren't involved

They bought movie rights and disregarded source material to make a mediocre film at best

There were other companies with interest in film when his people outbid them (Including Dicaprio's company) that were actually planning much different films based on source material

Also the super dad/super diplomat/super soldier/super scientist/super , etc , etc story was f***ing absurd as was the plane crash and shooting one's self with random diseases to find "Cure"

Train to Busan is a far superior film of similar zombie/apocalypse made on a far less budget without a "Superstar" actor in lead

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
World War Z would have been done and better if someone other then Pitt and his people weren't involved

They bought movie rights and disregarded source material to make a mediocre film at best

There were other companies with interest in film when his people outbid them (Including Dicaprio's company) that were actually planning much different films based on source material

Also the super dad/super diplomat/super soldier/super scientist/super , etc , etc story was ****ing absurd as was the plane crash and shooting one's self with random diseases to find "Cure"

Train to Busan is a far superior film of similar zombie/apocalypse made on a far less budget without a "Superstar" actor in lead

World War Z is a really difficult one because the book structure translates horribly to a usually linear screenplay and central characters.

Maybe I should say I’m satisfied with the approach they took to capture the concept of the book. There was no way to perfectly adapt it.

On a tangent, I loved Cloud Atlas. Another one of those books that’s very difficult to translate into a movie. I find that movie kind of a litmus test with friends. Folks that have seen it either like it or hate it, not as much room in the middle.

I’m old enough to remember David Lynch’s horrible version of Dune at the theater. So maybe I’m too forgiving on “just okay” adaptions of novels since then.

Last edited:

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I’m all for introspective, slow burn sci-fi, but I thought this movie sucked. The only thing it had going for it were the visuals, which we didn’t get nearly enough of in favor of Pitt’s face which spent most of the movie being wooden.

It wasn’t that there wasn’t action in the movie. I don’t need that. But the plot and premise were just uninteresting.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
World War Z is a really difficult one because the book structure translates horribly to a usually linear screenplay and central characters.

Maybe I should say I’m satisfied with the approach they took to capture the concept of the book. There was no way to perfectly adapt it.

On a tangent, I loved Cloud Atlas. Another one of those books that’s very difficult to translate into a movie. I find that movie kind of a litmus test with friends. Folks that have seen it either like it or hate it, not as much room in the middle.

I’m old enough to remember David Lynch’s horrible version of Dune at the theater. So maybe I’m too forgiving on “just okay” adaptions of novels since then.

I liked Cloud Atlas. Part of it was the built in cheat of using the same cast across the time periods - but I did find the individual stories varied and interesting. Tough adaptation.

Dune was funny for me - I was young but also remember watching it. Over the years I’ve come to enjoy a lot of the design elements of the film as well as most of the performances, but the plot was a shambles and the voice modules an abomination.

The mini series was much more faithful to the book but the sandworms in the Lynch version will always resonate with me.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth

Very much this. Don’t go in expecting Interstellar 2.0 with Brad Pitt. About the only similarity these movies have is that they take place in space.

Ad Astra is not a story trying to deliver mind blowing twists. Its a character study in space.

7.5/10. Maybe an 8 upon further reflection.

Reactions: Supermassive

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Very much this. Don’t go in expecting Interstellar 2.0 with Brad Pitt. About the only similarity these movies have is that they take place in space.

Ad Astra is not a story trying to deliver mind blowing twists. Its a character study in space.

7.5/10. Maybe an 8 upon further reflection.

I don't have a problem with that. I just wish the character study provided any meaningful insight into the human condition, which is what all good sci-fi does... twists or no, action or no. This movie did not provide that at all, IMO.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
I don't have a problem with that. I just wish the character study provided any meaningful insight into the human condition, which is what all good sci-fi does... twists or no, action or no. This movie did not provide that at all, IMO.

Understandable. I can see why some people may not like this movie. Just wanted to warn those who will go to see it and are interested in what to expect.

Reactions: Tawnos

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I liked it but the main plot points felt very mechanical: the writers made everything fit the message they decided they wanted to tell before actually coming up with anything.

Some cool set pieces, great music and strong visuals but enjoyable is the best I can describe it. Nothing wrong with a movie being "just enjoyable" though!

I wouldn't call this movie a real sci-fi movie though. It is a love story first and foremost, it just has some space elements to it.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I liked Cloud Atlas. Part of it was the built in cheat of using the same cast across the time periods - but I did find the individual stories varied and interesting. Tough adaptation.

Dune was funny for me - I was young but also remember watching it. Over the years I’ve come to enjoy a lot of the design elements of the film as well as most of the performances, but the plot was a shambles and the voice modules an abomination.

The mini series was much more faithful to the book but the sandworms in the Lynch version will always resonate with me.

I think what irritated me the most with Dune was they took one of the most calculating devious literary villains of all time in Baron Harkonnen and turned him into a buffoonish caricature.

Reactions: NyQuil

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
I liked it but the main plot points felt very mechanical: the writers made everything fit the message they decided they wanted to tell before actually coming up with anything.

Some cool set pieces, great music and strong visuals but enjoyable is the best I can describe it. Nothing wrong with a movie being "just enjoyable" though!

I wouldn't call this movie a real sci-fi movie though. It is a love story first and foremost, it just has some space elements to it.

This is a fantastic way to describe my feelings. I will say I hoped for more, but still enjoyed it a lot.

I really liked how they did world building to give you an understanding of where the world is at this time. That aspect of it was fantastically done.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
I will say that Pitt played the role perfectly (its a role suited exactly for him), but I think I liked his performance better in Once Upon a Time. I’ll probably give this another watch at an iMax, though, and will see for sure if I believe that.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
Thought it was really good, with the potential to be great. Just... didn’t quite hit the mark. Acting great. Cinematography fantastic. Overall plot/message really good. I think the writing could have been better I guess, still not really sure.

Pitt is on a roll.

Reactions: OhCaptainMyCaptain

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
My only real complaint would be plot convenience with
how it was revealed that Tommy Lee Jones killed the rest of his crew
and how unnecessary almost every single action scene in here was. I think the very first action scene that takes place right away is very well done and necessary, but you get to the point where it's
monkeys in space
I couldn't help but think that it was nothing more than filler to try to keep general audiences engaged. I think if they just relied on the slow burn and asking these bigger questions it would have been much better off for it.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
My only real complaint would be plot convenience with
how it was revealed that Tommy Lee Jones killed the rest of his crew
and how unnecessary almost every single action scene in here was. I think the very first action scene that takes place right away is very well done and necessary, but you get to the point where it's
monkeys in space
I couldn't help but think that it was nothing more than filler to try to keep general audiences engaged. I think if they just relied on the slow burn and asking these bigger questions it would have been much better off for it.

I like the action scene when he's boarding the spaceship for Neptune. It was all an accident that escalated way too far on accident, and it almost connected him to his father's story more, as he killed people on his search for more - though it wasn't totally his fault like his father.

My only complaint is..

The narration, sometimes. I think it works sometimes to get an idea of the character's mindset, but then was super redundant or unnecessary at other points. I understand and even like the idea, but just didn't always love the use of it.

Last edited:

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I like the action scene when he's boarding the spaceship for Neptune. It was all an accident that escalated way too far on accident, and it almost connected him to his father's story more, as he killed people on his search for more - though it wasn't totally his fault like his father.
I liked it on the level that it made sense on a narrative level, but it just felt out of place tonally and kind of like a 3 Stooges thing for the people he killed.

Even looking at something like the car chase, I thought that subtle bit of world building they did just before that with the moon being used as a tourist destination and seeing that food court with a Subway in it like it was a routine airport stop was so excellent, and they kind of ruined it a bit by having these "space pirates".

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
I liked it on the level that it made sense on a narrative level, but it just felt out of place tonally and kind of like a 3 Stooges thing for the people he killed.

Even looking at something like the car chase, I thought that subtle bit of world building they did just before that with the moon being used as a tourist destination and seeing that food court with a Subway in it like it was a routine airport stop was so excellent, and they kind of ruined it a bit by having these "space pirates".

True. That part was kind of redundant in that it reinforced the theme of people wanting too much and how we turned the moon into another Earth. However, it did eliminate a key character after the chase, which played a role shortly after.

Reactions: Trap Jesus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad