Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
giphy.gif

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Been waiting a while for this one, always down for seeing a good sci-fi.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Looks pretty terrible

The fact they put Pitt in role to play the part of Brad Pitt in space is cringeworthy enough to avoid it (Seriously one of the worst and most overrated actors of his generation)

Story also looks like nonsense

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
Hey, a sci fi movie that isn't part of a franchise with a kick ass looking trailer. I'll go support it on those grounds. That and we need another Arrival/Martian type movie in this era of franchise fatigue.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Looks pretty terrible

The fact they put Pitt in role to play the part of Brad Pitt in space is cringeworthy enough to avoid it (Seriously one of the worst and most overrated actors of his generation)

Story also looks like nonsense

Hater! He is pretty much the same character in every movie. The dialog seems cheesy

on the flip side I think I spotted Tommy lee Jones and Donald Sutherland.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I was intrigued after the first trailer, but count me in after this one (new trailer just dropped):

That first shot/set gives me big-time 2001 vibes, but the rest looks kind of bland stylistically IMO. I guess you're limited to some degree with the setting in space for the most part though.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
I will say, I think this looks beautiful. Not like that's a surprise or anything. But I like how each trailer has continued to show us a little more, while I still have a ton of questions at the same time. This may be the movie I'm looking forward to the most the rest of this year.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
In case you're wondering (or complaining) about Hollywood not making original films anymore, let this movie be a prime example. An A-list actor in a space thriller with a *relatively* low production budget, and it'll probably lose money or make very little. It will probably finish 3rd domestically this weekend... and to what? Downtown Abbey and Rambo.

People can continue to bitch and moan about Hollywood & Disney and their choice of movies lately... but when most original movies struggle to make any money while the remakes and Marvel movies make money hand over first, how can you blame companies for continuing to go that route? This is all on the consumer just as much, if not more, than the companies.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
In case you're wondering (or complaining) about Hollywood not making original films anymore, let this movie be a prime example. An A-list actor in a space thriller with a *relatively* low production budget, and it'll probably lose money or make very little. It will probably finish 3rd domestically this weekend... and to what? Downtown Abbey and Rambo.

People can continue to ***** and moan about Hollywood & Disney and their choice of movies lately... but when most original movies struggle to make any money while the remakes and Marvel movies make money hand over first, how can you blame companies for continuing to go that route? This is all on the consumer just as much, if not more, than the companies.
True, but the only comment I'll make and I don't want to seem to negative, I feel like we've had a bunch of space moves in recent years. Martian, Interstellar, Gravity, and First Man, so while this will be an original film, maybe the audience won't be as interested.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012

People can continue to ***** and moan about Hollywood & Disney and their choice of movies lately... but when most original movies struggle to make any money while the remakes and Marvel movies make money hand over first, how can you blame companies for continuing to go that route? This is all on the consumer just as much, if not more, than the companies.
I don't think anyone's arguing the numbers, the proof is in the pudding. That being said, I just think it's sad. If this movie came out 20 years ago it would probably have been received very well. Weird little "blockbuster" movies like this did well back then, and it's something that encouraged moviemakers to take more chances. Yeah, it's partly the consumers fault, but you also have to consider how things are marketed now too.

I still think Annihilation is the best recent example of something like this. It didn't even get to theaters in the majority of the world because they got cold feet about it. Would it have tanked? Maybe. But the fact that it didn't even get a chance is worrying. Understandable, but worrying.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
True, but the only comment I'll make and I don't want to seem to negative, I feel like we've had a bunch of space moves in recent years. Martian, Interstellar, Gravity, and First Man, so while this will be an original film, maybe the audience won't be as interested.

I agree to an extent, though First Man is the only movie of that bunch to be released since 2015, so it's not like there is a crazy amount of them. And First Man was a biopic, which is a little different. But yeah, I agree that having similar kinds of movies in the somewhat recent history doesn't help.

Reactions: bleedblue1223

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I agree to an extent, though First Man is the only movie of that bunch to be released since 2015, so it's not like there is a crazy amount of them. And First Man was a biopic, which is a little different. But yeah, I agree that having similar kinds of movies in the somewhat recent history doesn't help.
But, yeah sad truth that a crappy Transformers or whatever will outperform quality original films.

Reactions: OhCaptainMyCaptain

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad