OT: Depends Who You Ask Apocalypse - Off Topic Thread of Summer

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Like I said he’s not a clinician who actually has contact with patients, gotcha.
Right. He's not. But, I feel like you're conflating two separate issues. I understand it's not easy for some folks right now. That's not what I was commenting on. Best of luck to your friends and family, friend.

No offense to your Dad but there’s an enormous difference between being a clinician and a microbiologist or researcher.

In the course of 2 weeks, my hospital has gone from COVID cases in the low single digits to now over 100. There are many patients on ventilators which are now in short supply. These numbers dwarf anything we’ve seen related to influenza by many multiples.

The entire hospital is planning on becoming a COVID only hospital and transferring other patients to a nearby institution.

We will get over this but it’s bad, getting worse and not at all comparable to influenza.

Reactions: thedonger

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
We are using Microsoft Teams as our means of communication with our students at the school where I work. It works really well and you can actually do a fair bit of real teaching through the meeting function. The screenshare option is gold, as it allows you to share your screen with the students and you can use a Word document alomsot like a blackboard. Today was the last day before Easter holidays so we finished off with a kahoot with all the kids using their ipads and me sharing the screen from my house. OneNote is also great because it allows you to see the homework the students do without ever asking their permission, or calling them up :)

An older colleague of mine still comes into work every day despite the school being closed, as he is alone and with no family nearby. For ones like him this is really tough.

It should be interesting to see if all these technological changes teachers are having to make will change the way in person classes are held. Kahoot is great I love it. You cannot use Plickers with online teaching, but since I student teach at a low socioeconomic school I would typically use that instead of Kahoot and the kids loved it.

That sucks for you colleague. It feels kind of weird going from student teaching all day and then working at the aftercare I work at to just doing college work all online now.

How are your districts handling students who don't have internet access at home or limited amount of PC's?

The district I work at is planning on sending technology home to the kids who need it. I feel like with all the extra work and training going in for these teachers the school closures will be lasting longer than the middle of April or however long it will be.

Hopefully the state tests will be cancelled. I am not sure if that call has been made yet but it would be crazy for that to happen.

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
My daughters school district is supposed to be doing some form of live distance learning, but they’re not. Each teacher assigns the students work everyday that they must complete. My daughter finishes all this by 10 am, at the latest, then spends the rest of the day on Tik Tok, FaceTime and god knows what Else.

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
I realize that. I never said there was.
All good. My point, inarticulately made, was that clinicians and microbiologists have different perspectives and skill sets.

It's truly eye opening how times like this reveal people's character, mostly in the positive sense. The responses I've seen from most docs/RNs/PAs/APRNs have been inspiring.

There's also a small minority who unfortunately aren't the type of people you want in the foxhole with you. I was going to suggest they might have a hockey rooting interest in a local rival but.....too soon?

Last edited:

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
How are your districts handling students who don't have internet access at home or limited amount of PC's?
RVC has pretty much given out the districts iPads. Since there isn’t enough for ever kid, each family gets one so that multiple kids can use it. I had to go in last week and hand out iPads for students in grades K-2 since grades 3-5 in my building were already issued iPads. Not sure about the limited/no internet thing though. I dunno if maybe they were setting them up with like a hotspot or something

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway

Most people will hve access to some sort of digital means, be it an Ipad, computer, smartphone or similar. If the rare cases they do not I think schools will have some for loan but a crisies such as this really widens the gap between the haves and have-nots. Here in Norway we are rather well off and lucky in that regard but of course that does not apply everywhere

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Are long island schools just now handing out laptops?

I live on the island but I'm a NYC teacher. The week schools closed our staff was driving into neighborhoods in all 5 boroughs literally hand delivering sanitized chromebooks.

If there wasn't already a big enough of an educational advantage for the 'Haves' vs the 'Have Nots' it's getting a whole lot bigger right now with tech and internet access, so lets be thankful our kids can do the work and still be safe and fed all day.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Are long island schools just now handing out laptops?

I live on the island but I'm a NYC teacher. The week schools closed our staff was driving into neighborhoods in all 5 boroughs literally hand delivering sanitized chromebooks.

If there wasn't already a big enough of an educational advantage for the 'Haves' vs the 'Have Nots' it's getting a whole lot bigger right now with tech and internet access, so lets be thankful our kids can do the work and still be safe and fed all day.

The school district I work at (not student teach) had the last two weeks off as their spring break and used all of their snow days so they spent that time handing out laptops and such.

benedictTavares

JT's PJ's'
Jan 15, 2013
Scottsdale
My mother has been battling pancreatic cancer since September 2019. She just passed from complications from a surgery after a failed attempt at intubation she died from a heart attack. We were unable to visit her the last couple of weeks at the hospital because of COVID. This whole mess bleeds into every other facet of society and healthcare. When I was facetiming her the night before her passing a monitoring wire came loose and it was a good 2-3 minutes till a nurse came to investigate the alarm. This is in Scottsdale which is not even yet a hot spot.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
My mother has been battling pancreatic cancer since September 2019. She just passed from complications from a surgery after a failed attempt at intubation she died from a heart attack. We were unable to visit her the last couple of weeks at the hospital because of COVID. This whole mess bleeds into every other facet of society and healthcare. When I was facetiming her the night before her passing a monitoring wire came loose and it was a good 2-3 minutes till a nurse came to investigate the alarm. This is in Scottsdale which is not even yet a hot spot.

I am sorry for your loss.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Most people will hve access to some sort of digital means, be it an Ipad, computer, smartphone or similar. If the rare cases they do not I think schools will have some for loan but a crisies such as this really widens the gap between the haves and have-nots. Here in Norway we are rather well off and lucky in that regard but of course that does not apply everywhere

My wife's district has about 20-25% of their students without reliable internet access so it's creating problems. There's about a 15% participation rate for their online classes right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: YearlyLottery

scottywiper

Dec 2, 2018
Such a sad story. Condolences mate.

BossyMVP

Die SABRES die
Jun 27, 2011
Long Island
My wife's district has about 20-25% of their students without reliable internet access so it's creating problems. There's about a 15% participation rate for their online classes right now.
I teach in nyc. Remote teaching math to 90 7th graders. Every single one of them is on. I hate remote teaching. I miss the kids. No matter what anyone says, we are not opening schools up again this year.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I teach in nyc. Remote teaching math to 90 7th graders. Every single one of them is on. I hate remote teaching. I miss the kids. No matter what anyone says, we are not opening schools up again this year.

We're not in NY so I'm not sure what's gonna happen. Right now they're saying the target date is the middle of May. The whole remote teaching is bizarre for my wife because they're not allowing them to teach anything new, they can't count anything towards their students' grades, so they're just reviewing older material for 5 students in every class who want to participate. It was a lot of work to set up and doesn't seem to be worth the effort. She teaches high school and a lot of her students are working (gas stations, super markets, etc.) or watching their siblings during this. It's just nuts.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008

Sorry for your loss.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
New York State now closed until April 29th, as per Governor Cuomo.

FourRings

Mar 26, 2013
New York City
Really sorry to hear about your loss, man. My best to you and your family.

Reactions: benedictTavares

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
My daughters school district is supposed to be doing some form of live distance learning, but they’re not. Each teacher assigns the students work everyday that they must complete. My daughter finishes all this by 10 am, at the latest, then spends the rest of the day on Tik Tok, FaceTime and god knows what Else.

Same exact boat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad