Proposal: Acquiring Rebuild Parts

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
I like the idea of bringing in another UFA with the intent of trading them at the TDL, If they're able to move someone like De Haan without taking back much money or retaining too much. Maybe they could sign Hoffman to a one-year deal. He'd look good on Toews' wing, hopefully pots 20+ goals by the TDL and can be shipped out for a 1st round pick. Of the RFAs you mentioned, I'd want to keep Zadorov, Carlsson, Nylander and Suter beyond this year. I'd only move Carlsson if it became clear he wasn't going to factor into the left-side for the foreseeable future; if someone like Kalynuk or Beaudin were to clearly pass him on the depth chart. Nylander is either going to be good enough that we'd want to keep around, or not, in which case he isn't going to have much value.

On the Alex Nylander topic, would there be any interest in trading him to Winnipeg for Jack Roslovic?
I don't have a true sense on AN 's value and worth to Hawks roster. I am thinking of draft pick placing and age and production in comparing Roslovic and Nylander. Any takes on this from you all?

migi

Feb 25, 2015
On the Alex Nylander topic, would there be any interest in trading him to Winnipeg for Jack Roslovic?
I don't have a true sense on AN 's value and worth to Hawks roster. I am thinking of draft pick placing and age and production in comparing Roslovic and Nylander. Any takes on this from you all?

I'll do it and I kind of like Nylander still.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
I'll do it and I kind of like Nylander still.

Cool. We would have deal, if I were a "Chevy"!
Jack Roslovic still has lots of potential, just not much in Wpg with their roster and coaches player decisions, style change they seem to demand out of him? Euro rooted players seem to excell there again, over heavy bias to US born/ raised players previously shown.
Might work out + for both teams?

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
Cool. We would have deal, if I were a "Chevy"!
Jack Roslovic still has lots of potential, just not much in Wpg with their roster and coaches player decisions, style change they seem to demand out of him? Euro rooted players seem to excell there again, over heavy bias to US born/ raised players previously shown.
Might work out + for both teams?

FWLIW, I don't think the Hawks are ready to throw in the towel on Nylander...yet.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
I know everyone loves this upcoming draft because of Power but we should start stockpiling picks for the 2022 draft if possible. Shane Wright, Matthew Savoie and Brad Lambert are all looking like potential franchise players 2 years out from their draft. All forwards. Getting one of them would be a huge boon.

echlfreak

Aug 1, 2003
Powers, Edvinsson, Hughes, Guenther, Clarke, Raty, Berniers, Johnson, Eklund, Lucius....that’s a pretty good crop. Especially when it comes to high end D

Chicago can move some great pieces at the deadline. Strome, DeHann, Zadorov, Wallmark, Janmark, Kampf, Nylander, Suter, Murphy. Tons of value!

There are a couple good Euro FAs too

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
Powers, Edvinsson, Hughes, Guenther, Clarke, Raty, Berniers, Johnson, Eklund, Lucius....that’s a pretty good crop. Especially when it comes to high end D

Chicago can move some great pieces at the deadline. Strome, DeHann, Zadorov, Wallmark, Janmark, Kampf, Nylander, Suter, Murphy. Tons of value!

There are a couple good Euro FAs too

Janmark, Kampf and Wallmark are moveable but Kampf and Wallmark are depth pieces that won't get much more than later round picks and I don't think Janmark would command too much more. Maybe a 3rd? Picks are precious in a salary cap world.

De Haan and Murphy have another year on their contracts so it's a bit tougher trade for playoff teams because they have to figure out what they do with that salary next year. Though one of these two would be your best bet for a higher pick.

Strome and Nylander are not what playoff teams are looking for, which is consistency and good all around play.

Unless he's terrible, I got the sense the Hawks wanna resign Zadorov.

Suter is a complete unknown.

Remember the Hawks got a 2nd for Lehner and a 3rd for Gus. Manage those expectations.

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
First time in Blackhawks territory. Hello Hawks fans. Always loved your team.

Just curious, if you could sum this up for me, but where is the direction for your team now? Your core is obviously on the back side of 30 and Kane isn’t going to be elite forever, so just wondering if you guys are going full blown rebuild mode and trading your core away to contenders, or letting them stay to help develop the new comers?

If it’s the latter, Toews’s and Kane’s contracts don’t really help with cap flexibility.

Cheers

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills

Just curious, if you could sum this up for me, but where is the direction for your team now? Your core is obviously on the back side of 30 and Kane isn’t going to be elite forever, so just wondering if you guys are going full blown rebuild mode and trading your core away to contenders, or letting them stay to help develop the new comers?

If it’s the latter, Toews’s and Kane’s contracts don’t really help with cap flexibility.

Cheers
Can't really see any of the core four being traded .. Unless of course one of them requests to be moved.
A full blown rebuild? Not that that's even possible given NTC's etc but sure a rebuild around the aging core who will mentor and finish off thieir HOF careers in Chicago. Kane and Toews' 21 mil come off the books in two years I believe so space is just around the corner .. that is after having drafted Powers and Wright! Kane is still a top 5 wing in the league and Keith and Toews are holding their own albeit with a little less vigour. Seabs we shall see. Lots of youth and Euro talent coming so if the stars align we may see one more swan song before the core is no more.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW

Cheers

Down.

Our GM got rid of 2 proven goalies that are a career .917/.918 and changed them into a .897/.906 with a combined 67 games between them.

The D barely improved with the loss of Maata and the addition of Zaddy. Keith is a year older, the entire D is basically a group of expensive middle-pair guys and a single rookie slot, so all of the D-prospects the 'hawks have may not hit the ice because said GM tried to go for it this past season. Either play players on D wouldn't fetch much in terms of non-roster prospects and thus require us to take someone off the scrap-heap back, they have an NMC or worse, or both.

The FWD core is still kicking. Kane is still Kane. Toews had a great playoff, lost Saad but I think that Dach comported himself quite well for a rookie. However, the Team O in 2019 wasn't able to carry the team over the lack-of-D hump with mostly-bad-goal-tending...and in 2021 they're older, with worse D and even worse G.

As for keeping the players as mentors? I think Keith won't move--especially since he's a recapture risk. Plus, he's decent with his time and deployment limited...we just can't expect him to carry a bad D-man anymore. Seabrook might be immovable. No reason to jettison Toews or Kane--especially since they both can mentor new guys--plus they have NMCs. The downside is guys like Kubalik. He might command a good deal soon. If Debrincat bounces back he might be worth keeping.

I think another aspect is whether or not the core wants to move. They might not--be it being settled in Chicago (as Seabrook's wife has said), or wanting to stick it to Bowman the Beancounter, or whatever. They hold all of the cards at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->