Proposal: Acquiring Rebuild Parts

echlfreak

Aug 1, 2003
Now that the Rebuild/Retool is in full effect what are the part that Chicago can build from?

Draft 2021
1st, 2nd. No 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th

UFA's...Janmark is the only one with TDL value
Smith
Janmark
Seeler

RFA's...Zadorov and maybe Suter have value in this group
Kampf
Wallmark
Nylander
Zadorov
Suter
Carlsson

I would love to see Chicago get a high end UFA this year on a one year deal. Like Lehner and then trade him at the TDL for picks or prospects. Lehner got Chicago a 2nd Rd pick for less than $5m. Use the cap space to buy draft pick-tradeable players.

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
Oilers fan here. Would you guys do Alex Chiasson for Ryan Carpenter? Edmonton needs a low-cost PK guy to replace Riley Sheahan, and Chiasson is only a year removed from a 20-goal season and two from winning a Cup with Washington.

As a net-front presence on your powerplay he’d have a good chance of producing, which in turn would up his value at the deadline. Given his low salary and zero trade protection I could see him returning a 3rd or even a 2nd, which would bolster your pick count.

Malaka

you know, **** it, let’s just not think so much
Mar 3, 2020
www.youtube.com
Oilers fan here. Would you guys do Alex Chiasson for Ryan Carpenter? Edmonton needs a low-cost PK guy to replace Riley Sheahan, and Chiasson is only a year removed from a 20-goal season and two from winning a Cup with Washington.

As a net-front presence on your powerplay he’d have a good chance of producing, which in turn would up his value at the deadline. Given his low salary and zero trade protection I could see him returning a 3rd or even a 2nd, which would bolster your pick count.
Give us picks for our trash or gtfo

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
LOL so Oilers a team with no depth are going to move Chiasson to Hawks and we should be thrilled with it?

What are Oilers going to give the Hawks to take him?

He struggled this past season and just turned 30 yrs old

Why should we give up Carpenter who is key part of our PK for a player the Oilers reduced icetime for because of his struggles and would be looking to move

Throw in a 3rd and maybe we do it after Strome signs

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
LOL so Oilers a team with no depth are going to move Chiasson to Hawks and we should be thrilled with it?

That’s an uninformed comment. The Oilers are overloaded on the right side. They simply have no room for Chiasson.

What are Oilers going to give the Hawks to take him?

The opportunity to trade him for a better pick than what Carpenter would return.

He struggled this past season and just turned 30 yrs old

You’re not acquiring him for the long-term so I don’t know why his age matters. His floor is still higher than Carpenter’s best offensively speaking.

Why should we give up Carpenter who is key part of our PK for a player the Oilers reduced icetime for because of his struggles and would be looking to move

I outlined it I think pretty well in my original post. If you’re still not sure I’m happy to repeat or clarify it.

Throw in a 3rd and maybe we do it after Strome signs

Good luck with your rebuild.

Reactions: BuddyTheGoon

wahsnairb

Jun 9, 2010

cracks me up that I keep seeing comments like this thrown in to posts (especially in Kane and Toews lowball proposals that are shot down)

It’s like people forget we won the Cup 3x recently (almost a couple more) to get in this position .

Get your sorry’s and petty jabs out of here.

This isn’t the fan base for it.

Last edited:

Malaka

Mar 3, 2020
www.youtube.com
That’s an uninformed comment. The Oilers are overloaded on the right side. They simply have no room for Chiasson.

The opportunity to trade him for a better pick than what Carpenter would return.

You’re not acquiring him for the long-term so I don’t know why his age matters. His floor is still higher than Carpenter’s best offensively speaking.

I outlined it I think pretty well in my original post. If you’re still not sure I’m happy to repeat or clarify it.

Our right side is loaded

Doubt he would fetch anything better

Thx you too

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
I like the idea of bringing in another UFA with the intent of trading them at the TDL, If they're able to move someone like De Haan without taking back much money or retaining too much. Maybe they could sign Hoffman to a one-year deal. He'd look good on Toews' wing, hopefully pots 20+ goals by the TDL and can be shipped out for a 1st round pick. Of the RFAs you mentioned, I'd want to keep Zadorov, Carlsson, Nylander and Suter beyond this year. I'd only move Carlsson if it became clear he wasn't going to factor into the left-side for the foreseeable future; if someone like Kalynuk or Beaudin were to clearly pass him on the depth chart. Nylander is either going to be good enough that we'd want to keep around, or not, in which case he isn't going to have much value.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Guys I’m confused, if EDM lost to us in the play in and we’re rebuilding shouldn’t they...

I think the rule states they need to fold the franchise, and all their players get entered into a special draft. The team that beat them last gets the first pick in that draft.

echlfreak

Aug 1, 2003
Key tradable players in a total rebuild:

Kane: Everyone always says BUF
Toews: Everyone says WPG
Keith: Everyone says VAN or WPG
Seabrook: Doesn’t matter unless he is ITLR. This guy is salt of the Earth otherwise as a person and a leader. Future Executive or retired snowboarder in BC.

Just because they are from those regions doesn’t mean that’s where they want to play or it’s a good fit based on availability and cap space.

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
I like the idea of bringing in another UFA with the intent of trading them at the TDL, If they're able to move someone like De Haan without taking back much money or retaining too much. Maybe they could sign Hoffman to a one-year deal. He'd look good on Toews' wing, hopefully pots 20+ goals by the TDL and can be shipped out for a 1st round pick. Of the RFAs you mentioned, I'd want to keep Zadorov, Carlsson, Nylander and Suter beyond this year. I'd only move Carlsson if it became clear he wasn't going to factor into the left-side for the foreseeable future; if someone like Kalynuk or Beaudin were to clearly pass him on the depth chart. Nylander is either going to be good enough that we'd want to keep around, or not, in which case he isn't going to have much value.
The problem with Hoffman is that he is bad defensively and a playoff team would rather get a guy who is more of a two-way player. Beyond that, we have DeBrincat, Kane and Kubalik. Our deficiency isn't in scorers. Like I'm surprised a team like Nashville or Columbus or even Dallas who need goal scorers didn't grab him.

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary

Finally a poster who comes in with politely formed opinions and proposals but gets shit on harder than some of the truly petty Vancs who come only to troll...

Sorry.

I think you got such strong replays because Chaisson isn't really the type of player who would do much for our team. Maybe we could flip him like you say, but i don't think it's through trade our FO likes to acquire those type of assets (more like free through FA).

Carpenter is actually important for us because he's cheap, the main PK guy, and he's a constant teacher and example for our soft little youngsters. And the guys like him. I'd be really surprised to see him traded, maybe only next year when he's expiring.

Pitter Patter

May 20, 2020

You too.

Last edited:

CP

Thou shalt not Tank
Mar 8, 2008
Outsider perspective. Not really a Jets or a Blackhawks fan. Came up with a trade on another board, just thought I’d throw it out here to see the response. Not trying to troll, but if it seems like it, my apologies (even if I’m a Canuck fan). Here is the trade I came up with and thought was fair.

Kane, Toews, and Keith (40% retained) for Laine, 2021 First, Stastny and Perrault.

Laine wants out of Winnipeg.
Stastny and Perrault are UFAs that come off the books at the end of this season and are used in this trade to even out salary.
Chicago just announced they are starting a rebuild which pissed off at least Toews. Chicago will not be good this year. Their goalies are Subban and Delia, and Seabrook plans to play this season. Why would Toews, Kane and Keith want to stick around for that at their ages. They have NTCs, so they control where they go.
Laine and a first gives Chicago’s rebuild a jump start.
Veteran core of Chicago joins veteran core of Winnipeg and gives them a realistic shot at a cup.
Top six would be awesome in Winnipeg and Keith would help plug their biggest hole on defence:
Wheeler, Scheifele, Connor
Kane, Toews, Ehlers
Yikes!
Toews is from Winnipeg. He’d just have to convince his two teammates to move for a shot at another cup.

Malaka

Mar 3, 2020
www.youtube.com
Outsider perspective. Not really a Jets or a Blackhawks fan. Came up with a trade on another board, just thought I’d throw it out here to see the response. Not trying to troll, but if it seems like it, my apologies (even if I’m a Canuck fan). Here is the trade I came up with and thought was fair.

Kane, Toews, and Keith (40% retained) for Laine, 2021 First, Stastny and Perrault.

Stastny and Perrault are UFAs that come off the books at the end of this season and are used in this trade to even out salary.
Chicago just announced they are starting a rebuild which pissed off at least Toews. Chicago will not be good this year. Their goalies are Subban and Delia, and Seabrook plans to play this season. Why would Toews, Kane and Keith want to stick around for that at their ages. They have NTCs, so they control where they go.
Veteran core of Chicago joins veteran core of Winnipeg and gives them a realistic shot at a cup.
Top six would be awesome in Winnipeg and Keith would help plug their biggest hole on defence:
Kane, Toews, Ehlers
Yikes!
Toews is from Winnipeg. He’d just have to convince his two teammates to move for a shot at another cup.
Literally go jump off the capilano suspension bridge

Pitter Patter

May 20, 2020

Kane, Toews, Ehlers
Yikes!
You think Toews, Kane and Keith for Laine and a late first is fair?

CP

Thou shalt not Tank
Mar 8, 2008
My bad. I like Laine a lot. The Chicago players are nearer the end, while Laine is nearer his beginning, so I thought the trade was okay. Kane is as good as Laine, but does not have as many years left. So one for one wouldn’t work. A first for Keith at his age I thought was probably fair. Then because the players have control over where they go and contract size in a low cap world, it might be difficult to make trades unless they can move together. As well, it lets those players that have done so much for the hawks a chance to move together to try for a cup. They probably have more value if the players didn’t have control and could be traded one by one, but that’s not the case, and they might not want to leave unless they left together. So I thought it was fair, but I’ll go find that bridge. Have a good one.

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012

Seriously? Chiasson is OLDER than Carpenter.
Hawks are not trying to get older.

Pitter Patter

May 20, 2020
My bad. I like Laine a lot. The Chicago players are nearer the end, while Laine is nearer his beginning, so I thought the trade was okay. Kane is as good as Laine, but does not have as many years left. So one for one wouldn’t work. A first for Keith at his age I thought was probably fair. Then because the players have control over where they go and contract size in a low cap world, it might be difficult to make trades unless they can move together. As well, it lets those players that have done so much for the hawks a chance to move together to try for a cup. They probably have more value if the players didn’t have control and could be traded one by one, but that’s not the case, and they might not want to leave unless they left together. So I thought it was fair, but I’ll go find that bridge. Have a good one.
You think Laine is a good as Kane? You should be ashamed of yourself.
So, to expand on your thought process, you basically have Kane for Laine and Keith for a late first then Toews for Stastny and Perreault?

Reactions: wahsnairb and Crow

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

So your saying Chiasson floor is still a better player then Carpenter and he has more value as a TDL chip but yet you want Oilers to give him up for Ryan Carpenter a 4th liner who's upside is still below Chiasson floor and would have little value on trade market at TDL

Pretty poor spin on your part

Reality is Chiasson was given a nice pay raise from Oilers after 22 goal season (Riding shotgun with star talent) and now that his play regressed back to norm you are looking to move him

From a team that is weak on supporting talent on top of that

Says alot about Chiasson and why Hawks he is someone Hawks should avoid

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
Key tradable players in a total rebuild:

Kane: Everyone always says BUF
Toews: Everyone says WPG
Keith: Everyone says VAN or WPG
Seabrook: Doesn’t matter unless he is ITLR. This guy is salt of the Earth otherwise as a person and a leader. Future Executive or retired snowboarder in BC.

Just because they are from those regions doesn’t mean that’s where they want to play or it’s a good fit based on availability and cap space.
never seen this

Reactions: RayP and ClydeLee

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs

Kane, Toews, Ehlers
Yikes!

:facepalm:

"Kane is as good as Laine."

Lol.

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
:facepalm:

"Kane is as good as Laine."

Lol.

Seriously.
Laine is a top 20 winger in the game. I really believe that.
Kane is a living legend 1st ballot HHOFer.

1st 4 years in the league:
Laine - .80 ppg.
Kane - .96 ppg

Kane’s most recent 4 years:
1.14 ppg. And that does not include his Art Ross season.

I won’t even mention Kane’s playoff performances.

Laine has a LOOOOONG way to go.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Laine is regarded as one of the best goal-scorers in the league -- at least upcoming. Kane has matched his goal totals since he entered the league, but he also makes everyone around him better. No, Laine is not close to as good as Kane. Probably never will be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->