Proposal: Acquiring Cost Friendly Talent

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
@Jet Walters was reported Tanev is going to probably be offered $3.5 M and multiple years. Too rich for a 3rd 4th liner on the Oilers who need more premium scoring in the top 6 than more cash wasted in the bottom 6.
He'd be top 6 in Edmonton probably. Tanev/McDavid/Drai or Tanev/RNH/?

I suggested Connoly in this thread as my UFA pick but like Tanev too. Connoly being a RHS makes him a little more appealing. Tanev helps our brutal PK more though. I'd take both to round out the top 6 if we could dump some cap to be honest.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
He'd be top 6 in Edmonton probably. Tanev/McDavid/Drai or Tanev/RNH/?

I suggested Connoly in this thread as my UFA pick but like Tanev too. Connoly being a RHS makes him a little more appealing. Tanev helps our brutal PK more though. I'd take both to round out the top 6 if we could dump some cap to be honest.
I think your evaluation on Tanev is off. He's not a top 6 player on any team in the league. At most he is a Paul Byron type on your 3rd line. Effective player, but you don't sign him to a deal like Roussel got IMO.

As for Connolly, if someone wants to give him 5 years let them. He's one of those guys who struggled everywhere until he found a good situation in Washington. I think he's a player to avoid.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

oil Leaks

The Ultimate Decoy
Jul 5, 2011
I think your evaluation on Tanev is off. He's not a top 6 player on any team in the league. At most he is a Paul Byron type on your 3rd line. Effective player, but you don't sign him to a deal like Roussel got IMO.

As for Connolly, if someone wants to give him 5 years let them. He's one of those guys who struggled everywhere until he found a good situation in Washington. I think he's a player to avoid.

Exactly, I would want Connolly in a long term deal.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013

He'd be tied with Chiasson for 4th on the Oilers this year for non PP goals scored with 13, and that's from bottom 6 minutes in Winnipeg. He's a nice complimentary winger for a skilled duo like Drai and McDavid. Could bang in 20 ES goals and really help the PK.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
He'd be tied with Chiasson for 4th on the Oilers this year for non PP goals scored with 13, and that's from bottom 6 minutes in Winnipeg. He's a nice complimentary winger for a skilled duo like Drai and McDavid. Could bang in 20 ES goals and really help the PK.
The issue for me is that McDavid and Draisaitl have nothing to do with his value. Yea, Patrick Maroon was a 27 goal scorer here but he sure didn't get paid like one. It's the same thing on the main board you see.. "Lekhonen would be a 30 goal guy with McDavid"... who cares? He's not without him so he's not worth the value of a 30 goal scorer.

If we're going to use this argument, might as well get a guy who's actually scored 20 goals before so he has the potential to score 30!

He's done nothing to warrant a long term deal in the 3-4 range. I'd take him for less, I'm just talking about the price point.

I really don't like anyone in the UFA route though other than maybe Pirri. I think they're all due for overpayments and we can't be the team to do it.

Reactions: onetweasy

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Scored 14 goals in 55 games a year ago.. I think he's in Torts' doghouse but he's very skilled.

Pretty much the ideal change of scenery type of pickup IMO.

True but you’d think he would have some traction in Columbus by now. Haven’t seen him play or follow the Jackets all that closely to make my own evaluation of him. If we could get him on a Ty Rattie type deal maybe.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Oil would be crazy not to get Michael Raffl.

Fantastic on the boards and on the PK. Playing w/ Drai could be an excellent opportunity for him. He'd be a total upgrade on half our bottom 6

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
The issue for me is that McDavid and Draisaitl have nothing to do with his value. Yea, Patrick Maroon was a 27 goal scorer here but he sure didn't get paid like one. It's the same thing on the main board you see.. "Lekhonen would be a 30 goal guy with McDavid"... who cares? He's not without him so he's not worth the value of a 30 goal scorer.

If we're going to use this argument, might as well get a guy who's actually scored 20 goals before so he has the potential to score 30!

He's done nothing to warrant a long term deal in the 3-4 range. I'd take him for less, I'm just talking about the price point.

I really don't like anyone in the UFA route though other than maybe Pirri. I think they're all due for overpayments and we can't be the team to do it.
Rieder type experiments are the way to go. Youngish talents that teams are walking away from on their second or third contracts. These are the types of players where we'll eventually stumble on another Maroon.

Reactions: Panda Bear

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
We all know our cap situation so who are some players that would obviously add skill to the team that would not cost an arm and a leg cap or trade wise? We've seen guys like Domi, D. Strome, etc. make significant impacts on their new teams after fighting it for their old clubs, we could really use a player or two like that. Here are some candidates that the Oilers GM should be looking at IMO:

Forwards

UFA's

Richard Panik 65gp. 13-18-31 current AAV $2.8 million UFA
Joonas Donskoi 71gp. 14-40-34 current AAV $1.9 million UFA
Brett Connolly 71gp. 19-20-39 current AAV $1.5 million UFA
Brandon Tanev 70gp. 13-12-25 current AAV $1.15 million UFA
Alex Chiasson 61gp. 20-12-32 current AAV $0.65 million UFA, highest AAV to date $1.2 million
Brandon Pirri 27gp. 11-5-16 current AAV $0.65 million UFA, highest AAV to date $1.1 million
Tyler Ennis 44gp. 12-5-17 current AAV $0.65 million UFA

Trade Targets
Anthony Duclair 63gp. 13-11-24 current AAV $0.65 million RFA
Josh Ho-Sang (AHL) 45gp. 7-30-37 current AAV $1.076 million RFA
Andre Burakovsky 65gp. 11-12-23 current AAV $3.0 million RFA Arbitration eligible
Mattias Janmark 70gp. 6-16-22 current AAV $2.3 million RFA Arbitration eligible
Connor Brown 70gp. 6-18-24 current AAV $2.1 million Signed through '19-20 then RFA Arbitration eligible
Oliver Bjorkstrand 65gp. 14-11-25 current AAV $2.5 million Signed through '20-21 then RFA Arbitration eligible

Who would you add to this list? Which players on defense might you be looking at?
Really like the list! Guys I would add are Milano, Hinostroza, and Vatrano.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Really like the list! Guys I would add are Milano, Hinostroza, and Vatrano.
Hinostroza, just acquired by AZ having a great year. Vatrano also having a great year, just signed a 3 year extension. Neither are available. Those guys are examples of what we need to find ourselves.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
That deal would get beat in a heartbeat.

He's only 26 so 5 years brings the AAV down but only takes him until he is 31.

Other guys with his production are older and either command and AAV of 4.5-5m for 3-4 years or around 6 years of term.

The cap has went up a lot and will go up even more this summer. Getting a ~20 goal + 45 point scorer for 3.75m is a very good deal.
Don't sign any UFA to a contract that ends when he is over 32. Also give more 1 year contracts for iffy players until the cap situation stabilizes here. 2 yrs max for a somewhat proven player down in the skids now.

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
Rieder type experiments are the way to go. Youngish talents that teams are walking away from on their second or third contracts. These are the types of players where we'll eventually stumble on another Maroon.

If we aquire 3 or 4 of these maybe 1 pans out but then we're stuck with the duds. Blow another year.

Only way we should get gamble players is if we trade away a gamble player not add to the pile.

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc
I think PTO’s are going to be huge for this club. Guys like Updawg, Chiasson, Letestu, Garrison and Stepniak can battle it out for league min plus they add valuable veteran leadership intangibles. We all saw this year with Chiasson that there are some real stud players available out there for league min.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I think PTO’s are going to be huge for this club. Guys like Updawg, Chiasson, Letestu, Garrison and Stepniak can battle it out for league min plus they add valuable veteran leadership intangibles. We all saw this year with Chiasson that there are some real stud players available out there for league min.

Remember Chaisson only landed here because of Gulatzan and Upshall was our other PTO. Had Upshall not wrecked his knee and failed his physical we would have had Upshall and probably 3 goals and no Chaisson. While I agree PTOs will be critical for the team in the next 2 years we need to sign players who provide more than mere intangibles.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Every time I see Anthony Duclair, I ask myself why this player gets shuffled around the league like a hot potatoe. Always been impressed and maybe he’s getting to the stage in his career where the light suddenly goes on. Just love all the tools this kid possesses. Would add a huge amount of speed to our lineup.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
If we aquire 3 or 4 of these maybe 1 pans out but then we're stuck with the duds. Blow another year.

Only way we should get gamble players is if we trade away a gamble player not add to the pile.
Next season isn't banking on who we add in free agency. The group we have now is the one that's going to have to improve. There isn't some magic UFA or trade acquisition that's going to drag us into the playoffs.

These signings are to upgrade the Reiders, the Ratties and the Brodziaks on the roster.

Draisaitl - McDavid - XXXX
XXXX - RNH - Chiasson
Khaira - XXXX - Gagner
Lucic - Brodziak - Kassian

Cave, Puljujarvi

Gotta fill those roles somehow. And the risk of being 'stuck with the duds' is high regardless of how much you're spending in free agency.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I've long said that we need to look at greatly improving our pro scouting and this is exactly why. There are players out there to be had for cheap who can contribute. Guys who are miscast or misused, guys buried by roster depth and who just need a chance. And with players like McDavid and Draisaitl, finding a player who fits with either would pay off huge.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Here is a list of my buy low candidates for the Oilers. All young(ish), with potential, most of whom are struggling or the their team needs cap help.

Christian Fischer
Brendan Perlini
Alexander Kerfoot
Alexander Wennberg
Oliver Bjorkstrand
Radek Faksa
Mattias Janmark
Chris Tierney
Adrian Kempe
Connor Brown
Cody Eakin
Erik Haula
Andre Burakovsky

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Here is a list of my buy low candidates for the Oilers. All young(ish), with potential, most of whom are struggling or the their team needs cap help.

Christian Fischer
Brendan Perlini
Alexander Kerfoot
Alexander Wennberg
Oliver Bjorkstrand
Radek Faksa
Mattias Janmark
Chris Tierney
Adrian Kempe
Connor Brown
Cody Eakin
Erik Haula
Andre Burakovsky
I doubt the bolded get traded. I'd add Duclair and Milano to the list.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
I doubt the bolded get traded. I'd add Duclair and Milano to the list.

I don't see why Ottawa would try to keep Tierney. If we offer them sufficient futures I'm sure they'd accept.
Faksa isn't really a buy-low guy, but he hasn't been able to crack 33 points yet, so I doubt he has much value, but I really like him.
Perlini's on a hot streak, but it won't last. His value is quite low.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

Christian Fischer
Brendan Perlini
Alexander Kerfoot
Alexander Wennberg
Oliver Bjorkstrand
Radek Faksa
Mattias Janmark
Chris Tierney
Adrian Kempe
Connor Brown
Cody Eakin
Erik Haula
Andre Burakovsky

Haula is not struggling. He’s been on IR all year.

Wennberg has never been a goal scorer and his cap hit is way too high for us to take on.

Don’t see Chicago moving Perlini. They just got him and he’s always been a streak scorer. He’s on a heater right now in fact.

Eakin w Vegas is having a very good year and gives Vegas great bang for the buck. Can’t see him on this list at all.

I wouldn’t say Fischer is struggling at all. He’s a 2nd year forward on an entry level deal on a team decimated by injury playing defense first , Az way below the cap. No chance Az trades him on a buy low deal especially to a divisional rival.

Kerfoot also is not struggling. He is also a 2nd year forward on an ELC.

I don’t think many of these players are “buy low”.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad