Salary Cap: Acquiring bigger contracts to obtain draft picks

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
That's the last thing Holland should do. I'd rather him trade a 1st with Neal to free up more cap space and fill Neal's spot with someone like Benson.

What he should do with the extra cap space is poach a good player from a team against the cap. Similar to Vancouver acquiring Schmidt from Vegas.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I think the Oiler focus will be on disposing of bad contracts as opposed to acquiring any more.

Imho, the 2 toughest contract decisions (by far) in the off season are:

1. Re-sign RNH or let him walk

2. Buyout Neal this year and live with him being on the books for 4 more years or let him get back in game shape and hope that he can contribute 10+ goals next year and then buy him out in 2022.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
If Holland is considering retirement, that would be a good way of expediting the process

Holland has the instincts to know that those types of moves are going to go over like a Led Zeppelin with Oiler fans who have suffered enough with having to pay for a string of bad contracts and bad management/coaching hires.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Absolutely not, this offseason and beyond should be treated as the time to build a perennial contender. All but waiving the white flag this deadline should be the last time that we do such a thing unless we have major injuries at future deadlines.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I think Holland should act like he has 21 million to spend and keep 6 in a rainy day fund to acquire some players at next year's deadline otherwise we're gonna see the same thing as this year if he spends it all like a drunken sailor.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
With $27m in cap space in the off-season, it got me thinking about what the team could do and one of the things that came across my mind was acquiring a bigger contract that a high draft pick could be attached to.

For example, Loui Eriksson has one year left at a cap hit of $6m. If the Canucks attach a 1st or 2nd round pick in exchange for say Zack Kassian, would you do it? Or from Tampa, for acquiring Tyler Johnson or Palat, they attach a 1st or 2nd for whatever, since they're in cap hell.

From the Canucks standpoint, they only have $16 million to re-sign Pettersson and Hughes. Even on bridge deals for those two, most of that cap space is going to get taken up and they only have two other defenseman signed for next season.

Are there any players you would want to target using this basis?

Actually a pretty creative idea.

I like the idea of Holland moving Neal and a 1st pick to Seattle for some 5th rounder or something.

Then we trade Kassian to Vancouver for erikssen and a pick and get back a pick.

Last thing would be to banish Koskinen.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
With $27m in cap space in the off-season, it got me thinking about what the team could do and one of the things that came across my mind was acquiring a bigger contract that a high draft pick could be attached to.

For example, Loui Eriksson has one year left at a cap hit of $6m. If the Canucks attach a 1st or 2nd round pick in exchange for say Zack Kassian, would you do it? Or from Tampa, for acquiring Tyler Johnson or Palat, they attach a 1st or 2nd for whatever, since they're in cap hell.

From the Canucks standpoint, they only have $16 million to re-sign Pettersson and Hughes. Even on bridge deals for those two, most of that cap space is going to get taken up and they only have two other defenseman signed for next season.

Are there any players you would want to target using this basis?

We want to win now and do not want to be saddled with bad contracts from other teams.

Also. Let's see where we are in July 2nd with all this space people keep talking about

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
I think the Oiler focus will be on disposing of bad contracts as opposed to acquiring any more.

Imho, the 2 toughest contract decisions (by far) in the off season are:

1. Re-sign RNH or let him walk

2. Buyout Neal this year and live with him being on the books for 4 more years or let him get back in game shape and hope that he can contribute 10+ goals next year and then buy him out in 2022.

1.) Resign Nuge to highest 6.5 at 5 years. Ife doesnt, sign hin anywaybto his demand and have a side deal with seattle to take him with Neal and Koskinen . All problems solved.

2.) True truebto keep Neal one more year. Depends on the first point woth Nige resigned at reasonable contract.
If not , well look at Chiasson. You could be close to useless. Just standing away for the goalie, and nog skate, make some garbage goals for one year- then be bought out-pr traded for/ with something.

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
If the Oilers can’t come to terms with RNH one name that comes to mind is Max Domi. He’s on the last year of his deal, he walks as a UFA and he’s being paid $6M in money on a $5.3M cap hit. To me this screams someone CBJ might want to trade, especially with his recent healthy scratches. For pennies on the dollar I’d definitely do this. I’m sure there are other players out there.

But the time to take on bad contracts for picks and prospects was in 2010. The Oilers should’ve tried helping out the Blackhawks after their first Cup to finagle a Buff or Ladd but they didn’t. They essentially have 3 years left to convince Draisaitl to extend his contract here and 4 more with McDavid. It isn’t the time to piss around trying to be cute with asset management.

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
How much you wanna bet we don't trade any picks to free up cap space this offseason?

If their first round pick is actually used this year I'll be very disappointed.

Not sure why you’d be disappointed.

The Oilers have two bad contracts that they wouldn’t miss: Neal and Kostkinen. Kostkinen has one year left and Neal has two. Neal also seems to be struggling with the after effects of Covid-19 so I’m hesitant to declare that his lack of on-ice success is due to suddenly not being able to play the game.

If I were GM I’d treat both players as sunk costs in 2022. Kostkinene is done after one more year and can be sent to the minors. So if a young goalie pushes him out the Oilers might save a few bucks and then his $4.5M is gone. With Neal, if his struggles are health related, both player and team might go the injured/unable to play route. His contract will be dicey this off-season and next but it should sort itself out. If he is healthy enough to play but sucks the Oilers can send him to the AHL and use one of their prospects for some savings this year and then buyout Neal so the penalty only lasts two years, not four.

To me this is the moment you sit back and see what happens. But to trade 1st round picks to jettison guys is stupid IMO. To me even with both they have the cap space to retain who they want and dabble in the market.

For all the hate heaped on Chiarelli the Benoit Pouliot buyout bugged me the most. The Oilers could’ve easily buried him for one year - maybe two. But his cap hit won’t leave us till after this season.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad