Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Also Mike Ridley was soft as Charmin.

Not only that he was downright scared of fans. He was the only player who would not exit via the regular exit at Caps games in the old Cap Center/US Air Arena. All the other guys from Langway to Stevens to Gartner to May to Kypreos would come out and sign stuff for all of us who waited after games.

Never did Ridley. He went through the Press exit.

Therefore I'm not a big fan and since you have his name in your handle it transfers to you as well.

True story :)

Sure it is....

As we all know Bob, anything you say has to be true, right? Backed up with some irrefutable opinions...as well as oodles of ironclad hyperbole (albeit also w passion, I will give you that).

Oh, and my moniker? What do Ridley and Simon have in common? Certainly wasnt their style of play.....

To that end, you're constant themes remind me of George...same song and dance, all the time. To that end...All talk, no glory. I am as much of fan of his, as I am of you. ;)

dillyboy93

Dec 3, 2012
Canada
Erat-Backstrom-Ovie
Fehr-Johansson-Brouwer
Chimera-Grabovski-Ward
Volpatti-Latta-Wilson

Alzner-Carlson
Nikitin-Green
Urbom-Oleksy

Trade Laich to Columbus for Nikitn

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
It seems like the only hits from him are suspension worthy.

There is no middle ground, it seems. He decides to try to wreck someone once a year.

Either he is leading the league in goal scoring, or won't shoot.

There is no consistency to his game. Sure he is not a steady eddie, but we are not talking normal complaints of an offensive Dman either. Its more than hitting.

He has brain farts with the puck. With the puck is when Gonch Murp and Green are supposed to excel. And no, I am not talking when about to get clobbered in a playoff game. Which is an area Green has improved actually

Green is a mental midget. Must be why BobRouse likes him so much?

Its shown time and again. Things get hard, he gets erratic.

Liberati0n*

Your affections for Mike Green is a like a girl in a bad relationship. You continue to hold on the past and the few moments he treated you well. And refuse to see the truth about your man.

Are you very familiar with this relationship model?

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Erat-Backstrom-Ovie
Fehr-Johansson-Brouwer
Chimera-Grabovski-Ward
Volpatti-Latta-Wilson

Alzner-Carlson
Nikitin-Green
Urbom-Oleksy

Trade Laich to Columbus for Nikitn

The problem is Columbus is a division rival team now. I don't mind the the trade though and I'm a Laich fan.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Is it really wrong to worry about Ovi and the Olympics this year? Its not as if he's a child but...when you put your heart and soul into something, and Russians really seem to do that with Hometown Hockey, potentially losing can really tear a guy down.

I'm wondering if I actually should be weary of it.

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
Is it really wrong to worry about Ovi and the Olympics this year? Its not as if he's a child but...when you put your heart and soul into something, and Russians really seem to do that with Hometown Hockey, potentially losing can really tear a guy down.

I'm wondering if I actually should be weary of it.

It's why I'm secretly rooting for Russia while publicly rooting for USA

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
Any interest in a Niskanen for Chimera swap?

Oates will ONLY play RH D on the right and LH D on the left. We're somewhat packed with RD but could use a LD.

With that said... why would you want Chimmer? I mean, he's played well this year... but uhhh

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
So?!

1LW kinda fixed
1C kinda fixed
MJ kinda fixed
Erat kinda fixed
Erskine kinda fixed
Carlson kinda fixed
Grabo kinda fixed

Goalie fixed for sure

PP #1
PK #1

Who would have thought?!

Maybe I should go to renew my USA visa already.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Oates will ONLY play RH D on the right and LH D on the left. We're somewhat packed with RD but could use a LD.

With that said... why would you want Chimmer? I mean, he's played well this year... but uhhh

Pens are pretty small on the wing. Chimera's skating would be money in DB's system and the guy can actually forecheck and pot the occasional dirty goal around the net.

How about Brooks for Brooks? :sarcasm:

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
Another thing RE: Gonchar and Murphy

When Gonch was here is D partner was Joe Reekie for most of the time. Reekie developed into a solid gritty dman who was very stable. Then Gonch had Witt after Reekie left. Not terrible.

Murphy was paired with Stevens for much of the time here.

Up until they were 28 Stevens, Murphy, and Gonchar combined had 1 Norris runner up and a 3rd place finish. Green surpassed that.

Who was Greens partner(s)? Shamo? Jeff Schultz?

If that isn't impressive in itself then not sure what is.

And I will have to disagree. Gonchar hit when he first came here and was young but that quickly went away. Murphy never hit. Green did hit alot prior to Oates.

Green gets dirty sometimes and has been suspended too so its not like he lacks mean streak. He also stood up for Shamo in the playoffs after Upshall delivered a cheap shot to his broken jaw.

The change of scenery may be part of it. But look at it....Murphy turned it around when he was paired with Samuelsson in Pitt. Gonchar with Orpik in Pitt.

Green has never had a D partner near that caliber. NOT EVEN CLOSE.

So yes they had more to work with. But ...they did also get better with age in their own zone too and that happens to dmen.

All your points on 52 are pointing back to 4+ years ago......he is not that player and to my eyes has just flat out gotten worse. His play along the boards is terrible.....you cant have that from your top minute Dman.

arguing about who he has been paired with and comparing them to who (old)8 and 55 paired with does what? Looking at the player 52 is now and where he goes from here is really all that matters......I say move on from this player.....in a hatcher/tinordi type deal ideally

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
Sorta like we did for Murphy and Gonchar? How did that work out?

Between these 2 players they have 5 or 6 stanley cup rings

55 was a FA and the caps were terrible

8 was moved with 11, after years of playoff failure. They returned Dino and Rouse and the Caps got further in the playoffs than every before

I really dont see your point here.....because 55 wasnt resigned (which he wasnt going to do) and because 8 eventually won Cups playing on 2 dynasty-lite teams.....the Caps should never move on from 52?

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
Green was making the same mental mistakes he always has with Alzner and he's a damn good LD, hard to find a better guy like Alzner for Green. Even harder to believe that by doing so will lead to multiple cups.

Its never 52's problem.....

he has a bad GM
he got hurt
he has a bad partner
he has a bad coach
he's hurt again
he has a bad partner again
his coach is an idiot
so is his GM
he's banged up
his partner sucks

he's awesome though....just very unlucky

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002

8 was moved with 11, after years of playoff failure. They returned Dino and Rouse and the Caps got further in the playoffs than every before

I really dont see your point here.....because 55 wasnt resigned (which he wasnt going to do) and because 8 eventually won Cups playing on 2 dynasty-lite teams.....the Caps should never move on from 52?

Correct. Poile's mistakes 25 years ago are more relevant than McPhee's mistakes from the last few years. Not sure why, but that seems to be the theme.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
All your points on 52 are pointing back to 4+ years ago......he is not that player and to my eyes has just flat out gotten worse. His play along the boards is terrible.....you cant have that from your top minute Dman.

arguing about who he has been paired with and comparing them to who (old)8 and 55 paired with does what? Looking at the player 52 is now and where he goes from here is really all that matters......I say move on from this player.....in a hatcher/tinordi type deal ideally

Really? I thought he was our best dman the last few playoff series as a whole.

I have also felt that his D has been getting better every year since the Yzerman snub.

We clearly see the trend differently.

Question....do you think Brian Leech's career would have been the same if he was paired with Norm Maciver as opposed to Buekeboom?

A D partner makes a world of difference. You have to have one to compliment your abilities.

The point is that Caps fans WANTED those guys gone. They felt it was ADDITION BY SUBTRACTION..much like Semin.

They didn't "whoop" Larry Murphy b/c they loved him. They thought he was a negative influence that was hurting the team. Gonchar bore MUCH the same resentment the last few years he played here.

The point is that historically Caps fans have not appreciated certain qualities of what players bring. These guys are/were all elite offensive dmen

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Playoff dman MVPs the past few years:

2011: Carlson; HM No one
2012: Hamrlik; HM Carlson
2013: Alzner; HM Green (Erskine was overall MVP for NYR)

A couple things...

2011: I'd rather pretend that debacle of the 2nd round never happened.
2012: Green and Hamr were both excellent as a tandem. Not sure why you would only give the nod to Hamr.
2013: Green and Alzner were both excellent as a tandem.

So the last 2 years you are saying that the Dman who was partnered with Mike Green was our best? What is the common denominator there my man?

Also enough Erskine hate. He was clearly injured and apparently has been so ever since. He tried to fight through it and it didn't work out. Schultz in his place would have been worse.

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
Really? I thought he was our best dman the last few playoff series as a whole.

I have also felt that his D has been getting better every year since the Yzerman snub.

We clearly see the trend differently.

Question....do you think Brian Leech's career would have been the same if he was paired with Norm Maciver as opposed to Buekeboom?

A D partner makes a world of difference. You have to have one to compliment your abilities.

I would disagree that he was the best dman the last few playoffs....and I would strongly disagree his D has been getting better....his decision making and hesitation has been getting worse if anything, its inconsistent at best. Again....his play along the boards in his end is just pitiful, and to me thats where a D makes his plays.....too often he doesnt

Leetch would be a HoFer regardless, yes.....are you kidding me?

When I see 52 try to skate through someone or fancy his way around a player, with NO ONE behind him.....I dont really blame a partner...I blame the guy with the puck making a stupid decision, again.

The point is that Caps fans WANTED those guys gone. They felt it was ADDITION BY SUBTRACTION..much like Semin.

They didn't "whoop" Larry Murphy b/c they loved him. They thought he was a negative influence that was hurting the team. Gonchar bore MUCH the same resentment the last few years he played here.

The point is that historically Caps fans have not appreciated certain qualities of what players bring. These guys are/were all elite offensive dmen

Fans wanted 8 moved.....if your point is fans are stupid, then I agree. I always said Semin was always judged by what he isnt instead of what he is

I just dont see your point about Murphy/Gonchar and how that should impact 52. I think moving on from both those guys was the right move and wold do it that way again....if anything this is a Kevin Hatcher situation....Hatcher had big offensive seasons....had been a more physical player earlier in his career...but was moved as it appeared those days were behind him even though he was still fairly young (under 30 if i recall)

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I would disagree that he was the best dman the last few playoffs....and I would strongly disagree his D has been getting better....his decision making and hesitation has been getting worse if anything, its inconsistent at best. Again....his play along the boards in his end is just pitiful, and to me thats where a D makes his plays.....too often he doesnt

Leetch would be a HoFer regardless, yes.....are you kidding me?

When I see 52 try to skate through someone or fancy his way around a player, with NO ONE behind him.....I dont really blame a partner...I blame the guy with the puck making a stupid decision, again.

Fans wanted 8 moved.....if your point is fans are stupid, then I agree. I always said Semin was always judged by what he isnt instead of what he is

I just dont see your point about Murphy/Gonchar and how that should impact 52. I think moving on from both those guys was the right move and wold do it that way again....if anything this is a Kevin Hatcher situation....Hatcher had big offensive seasons....had been a more physical player earlier in his career...but was moved as it appeared those days were behind him even though he was still fairly young (under 30 if i recall)

OK

RE: Leech - I watched this kid in the olympics in 88 and followed the Rangers closely and saw him. He was EXTREMELY similar to green. Great skater, undersized a bit, great wrist shot, etc. Green is more physical and Leech had better passing vision but they are comprable. They both had the puck alot and made their fair share of blunders because of it.

Leech always had an excellent d partner. Patrick/Buekeboom/Samuelsson were all fantastic players.

Your point about Semin applies to Green/Gonchar/Murphy too. That is what I was saying..fans didn't appreciate what he brought.

Do you even remember the Kevin Hatcher situation? I am not sure you do...

Hatcher became a malcontent. He wanted a serious contract raise (in part b/c the Stevens contract threw the NHL out of whack). The guy wanted out and it was pretty much common knowledge.

Larry Brooks was throwing out ideas for a Hatcher/Yzerman swap (at the time Yzerman was known as a one dimensional playoff choker who would be a loser forever).

So no he was not moved for the reasons you stated. The Caps wanted to keep him but there was no way crusty abe was going to.

Just the year or two before Abe forced poile to trade Dynamite Dino b/c he didn't want to pay the outlandish 800k salary Dino had. So no way he was going to pay Hatcher.

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
OK

RE: Leech - I watched this kid in the olympics in 88 and followed the Rangers closely and saw him. He was EXTREMELY similar to green. Great skater, undersized a bit, great wrist shot, etc. Green is more physical and Leech had better passing vision but they are comprable. They both had the puck alot and made their fair share of blunders because of it.

Leech always had an excellent d partner. Patrick/Buekeboom/Samuelsson were all fantastic players.

Your point about Semin applies to Green/Gonchar/Murphy too. That is what I was saying..fans didn't appreciate what he brought.

Do you even remember the Kevin Hatcher situation? I am not sure you do...

Hatcher became a malcontent. He wanted a serious contract raise (in part b/c the Stevens contract threw the NHL out of whack). The guy wanted out and it was pretty much common knowledge.

Larry Brooks was throwing out ideas for a Hatcher/Yzerman swap (at the time Yzerman was known as a one dimensional playoff choker who would be a loser forever).

So no he was not moved for the reasons you stated. The Caps wanted to keep him but there was no way crusty abe was going to.

Just the year or two before Abe forced poile to trade Dynamite Dino b/c he didn't want to pay the outlandish 800k salary Dino had. So no way he was going to pay Hatcher.

I watched Leetch all the way as well.....he grew up in my then GF's home town so he was of particular interest. I had said over and over how 52 reminded me of Leetch....Leetch got better. His decision making became a strength....now maybe having a little Keenan helped that but still. Comparing 52 with 2 needs to end back in 09ish. Leetch elevated his game in the spring....big time. While 52 has had good playoffs games he has never been the same player in the post season that he was in the regular season.....never.

I totally remember the situation with 4.....and that he had already signed a huge contract AFTER 3 left, he actually held out as I recall. He played what.....4 more seasons after 3 left?

The Yzerman/Hatcher talks had gone on for several years before Hatcher was eventually moved. Not sure what you mean by "he wasnt moved for the reasons" I stated....essentially what I said was, he wasnt worth keeping. He was making big money already...was the C....and just seemed like time to move on from that player....saying he was a malcontent is probably fair. In any case I dont see why they moved him being that important....they made the decision to move on, and did. IMO it turned into a good move....

Liberati0n*

It's why I'm secretly rooting for Russia while publicly rooting for USA

I would easily root for Russia, but their players coming out in favor of that anti-gay **** is giving me a little pause. I'll probably just have to root for Anybody but Canada, but hopefully the U.S. isn't the team to beat them so I don't have to hear a bunch of non-hockey fans talking about it like they care.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Don't tease us, that's just mean...

Hey I'd do it. We could use a Laich. And I'd feel much better if Orpik is moved sooner than later. Shero won't be able to help himself this summer and will likely re-sign him. Further holding back our NHL ready talent on defense.

I'd do that swap. What's the latest on Laich's injury woes.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Hey I'd do it. We could use a Laich. And I'd feel much better if Orpik is moved sooner than later. Shero won't be able to help himself this summer and will likely re-sign him. Further holding back our NHL ready talent on defense.

I'd do that swap. What's the latest on Laich's injury woes.

I realize Orpik is slated to be a UFA after this season and has supposedly lost a step but you would trade a guy playing almost 20 minutes a night at even strength alone, most on the team, plus leading your defense in PK time, blocked shots, and hits, for Laich? Really? What am I not seeing about Orpik's game at the moment?

Laich appears healthy just so far not very effective outside of on the PK. Many feel he is still adjusting to Oates' system and still getting his timing back after being out so long. I don't know but I would trade him for Orpik in a second and I'm pretty sure most around here would completely agree for a number of different reasons.

Should we send the trade agreement to the league office...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad