Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap/Lines etc. Part LXXXI -- Will we even care by July 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
I mean, we just went through all this same **** all over again, with more quotes about the team not giving 100% during a game 7. And we're still looking for bargain bin solutions to leadership like "anyone can do it"?

Really??

Bah. Leadership, shmeadership. We don't know what goes on in that room.

"We need more heart! We need more gumption! We need 120%! We need grit! We need... ummm... other invisible, spooky nonsense to fill column inches!"

What we need is a gameplan that includes creating real scoring chances, getting to the center of the ice, going to the net, and the ability to finish.

We don't know what's up in that room, but whoever's in charge of embracing conservative, perimeter hockey needs a smack. Maybe it's the coach, maybe it's the assistants, maybe it's the players, but whoever's idea it was to do the dipsy-doodle, let's-squeeze-in-an-extra-pass bull**** instead of pulling triggers needs a serious talking-to.

"But we outshot them!"

Yeah, mostly with weak-ass chances that build a goalie's confidence, not the kind that make him have to change his shorts at intermission, sit back in the goal, and second-guess his choices in life. We made that French ***** look like a Hall of Famer, just like we did with his replacement last year.

Having said all that, I love me some offseason. Excited to see how all these moving pieces fall together.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I mean, we just went through all this same **** all over again, with more quotes about the team not giving 100% during a game 7. And we're still looking for bargain bin solutions to leadership like "anyone can do it"?

Really??

Have anyone in mind?

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
The almost annual debate over Ovi the C is predictable at this point. The rip it off like a band aid group vs those that only care about assumed public humiliation; the team and any possible leadership void be damned until he retires.

I still contend it can be done at a time and in a way that does not cause public humiliation that will harm him. Any humiliation from a new coach saying he wants a new captain every month, or to roll with 3As, will pale in comparison to the humiliating playoff failures he has had to endure.

It's an easy way to try to change the dynamic of the team, if that is deemed something we need to try.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Is there any objective, quantifiable evidence that shows that the C matters? I bet there isn't.

It all sounds like superstitious ******** to me. Strip Ovie and suddenly the culture will change! Surely the team will score in game 7s if Oshie is the captain!

My hypothesis is that the C is almost totally irrelevant, and HF pays way too much attention to who wears letters.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
The almost annual debate over Ovi the C is predictable at this point. The rip it off like a band aid group vs those that only care about assumed public humiliation; the team and any possible leadership void be damned until he retires.

I still contend it can be done at a time and in a way that does not cause public humiliation that will harm him. Any humiliation from a new coach saying he wants a new captain every month, or roll with 3As, will pale in comparison to the humiliating playoff failures he has had to endure.

Its an easy way to try to change the dynamic of the team without having to eat his contract.

To be honest, the only decently realistic effect I see is Ovi deciding "ok, then I don't need to give a F any more". Not that it's the right response, but wouldn't be surprising (to me, at least).

If there was a clear captain-material candidate that could indeed light a fire under the team, it might be worth it. But I don't see one. Backstrom won't change the dynamics. Oshie is himself likely more comfortable in support role. Others make even less sense to me.

If it happened, I guess I wouldn't really complain. Just... meh.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
To be honest, the only decently realistic effect I see is Ovi deciding "ok, then I don't need to give a F any more". Not that it's the right response, but wouldn't be surprising (to me, at least).

If there was a clear captain-material candidate that could indeed light a fire under the team, it might be worth it. But I don't see one. Backstrom won't change the dynamics. Oshie is himself likely more comfortable in support role. Others make even less sense to me.

If it happened, I guess I wouldn't really complain. Just... meh.
As if he does now.

hockeyfan88

Dec 14, 2015
I think the C is a tradition and in sports those things matter. It's not of lesser importance.

I don't buy the story that the C is a only a letter.

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
His problem is 100% mental.

Having the "C" means when the Caps lose the first face a camera gets shoved in is Ovie's. He takes criticism to heart and can't handle that night in and night out. He knows it's coming, and every game the Pens won the look on his face said "oh great, here we go again.." In my opinion that's the single biggest reason he shouldn't have the captaincy. It's all mental, and it's enough to drag down his play and his team in the process. He has played a lot of his career while being praised by everybody around him because he was scoring, having fun, and generating excitement. Once the lustre of winning scoring titles has worn off and it's time to buckle down and actually win championships he's finding out that constant pressure is not easy to deal with, and with the window closing faster and faster it only adds to it.

The days of "Ovie, tell us about that great goal!" are over, from here on out its "Ovie, why can't you get out of the second round?" "Ovie, you had such a great team around you, what went wrong this time?" "Ovie, are you EVER going to win a Cup?"

He needs a different role. Think Hossa, or Kessel. Just a scoring winger who has one job to do, and doesn't have to walk off the ice to face the media every night. Resign a guy like Williams who isn't phased by the cameras and make him captain. Ovie will thrive if he's free to do his thing and let someone else answer the tough questions.

Last edited:

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
Who was the guy (during exit interviews) asking "what do you think about Ovi as a leader?" to Oshie and Williams?

Pigskin

Sponsor
Jan 14, 2014
Brisbane, Australia
I’m one of those fans that watch the interviews and dissect it all up ... right now I’m crushed and I want to see my players and coaches crushed also ... i do not want to see pay cheque players. The following is me just thinking out loud more than anything.

Here is my take on the exit interviews and where we are on each player moving forward ... feel free to disagree. These are my thoughts and I’m not fussed who agrees or disagrees. I have been a fan for around a decade now and have probably watched every Caps game for 5 or 6 years. I estimate I watched around 200 games total this year, and will likely only watch highlights of what is left. I’ll cheer for the Ducks from here on.

Wilson – I liked his answers, and I saw enough improvement that we have to hope he keeps getting better – 1 more year until contract negotiation again is ideal

Burt – is a kid on interview and said nothing unexpected, like Wilson our future revolves around him getting better and he has high potential, I think he was much stronger on the puck and in the corners as this season went on and that is a great positive, must foster the shoot first mentality, hopefully some kind of bridge deal for Andre – is 2 years x $2.5m enough ? I would also consider a long term deal for the right price. Doubt he would take it though as he has to back himself.

Beags – I know he has been ragged on here quite a bit, I don’t think he is overpaid by much, but he is very important to the character of our team it seems, i have seen him to be crushed on interview both at exit and after game 7, almost in tears – 4th line must keep if at all possible

Barry Trotz – The problem is that Barry is a GREAT salesman, knows exactly what to say in all situations, he certainly doesn’t sound like he is going anywhere with his answers and I guess until he is told otherwise, that is how he should act and sound – Whilst on the fence about what to do with him, i probably lean toward giving him 30 games to 1 more season ... I’d want to be able to actually see the changes or he is out the door. You can just imagine Barry being interviewed by Mac, Dick and Ted, in an interview to summarise the season which in essence is his pitch to save his job, and Barry being completely and thoroughly convincing in all aspects.

Nisky – Thankfully our D moving forward will be anchored by Nisky ... either that or give the guy an Oscar because like Beags he appears devastated. 4 years to run on his contract at $5.75m seems fair to both franchise and player. It also seems apparent that Nisky would like to say more, but he can’t. Unless I read him poorly, he doesn’t have a very good poker face. His book written now about the inner sanctum, would be a best seller to Caps fans.

Holts – Generally speaking I find him quite dull on interview, not to say he isn’t a good bloke. Nothing different in his exit interview. I probably think along the lines of there is not a lot between a good goalie and a great goalie and I would therefore prefer to not spend big in this area. To me, a good goalie can still get hot at the right time. I think we have just proven that a vezina goalie can be a little off at the wrong time also. I’d listen to any trade offers. 3 more years at $6.1m is ok i guess depending on how you look at goalies. No way do I ever want to pay any goalie more than that. I don’t see Crawford as outstanding, certainly not Murray either. We don’t know if Grubi has what it takes either.

Orlov – tough to read and understand, cultural thing. I have all the way along been very firm in seeing his great potential. I love his game, but fear his price as he gets better. It has already appeared difficult to negotiate with his management for each contract and his role in the team.

Schmidt – With a shift toward speed league wide, I have done a complete about face on Schmidt. Only 6 months ago I couldn’t see a great deal in him and would have been happy to “only†lose him to Vegas. Now I want to keep him somehow. I wish we could protect 4 D with Schmidt being one of them. Such a happy go lucky guy, even by his standards, he was more subdued on interview without getting anywhere near the Nisky or Beags level of devastation. Cost controlled and not likely to see any serious money any time soon make him very valuable should our window not be completely shut just yet.

Carlson – what to do with him is so complicated. Not sure where to begin. He can be a stud, but he is going to cost $7m after next year. If the window is open, we have to ride his last year .... again. If its not, he must go for the best offer. We can’t predict the future. Tough decisions need to be made. Hold a gun to my head and he is gone along with a couple of others. I don’t get the feeling he will dwell on the loss for very long. Has all the tools, but just doesn’t make a difference in the big moment.

Connolly – He won’t get a pay raise no matter where he goes. The fact that I’d rather put a young guy on the 4th line probably means we say thankyou and move on.

Grubi – I guess I defer to other more experienced opinions on Grubi. Fits my save money at goalie mantra, but selling off Holts would be a big move. I don’t see how we can keep both. If Samsonov was closer than trying Grubi as a starter would be less risky. A backup can only say so much in his exit interview. Clearly he is a big chance to go to Vegas, but its hard to see him being a clear #1 there either.

Backy – I think its ludicrous even discussing trading him. My opinion is there are many expensive pieces that I’d move before Backy. He and Kuzy is exactly what we have wanted for many years. He is always very careful on interview, and for exit looks tired of being careful. In his quiet swedish considered demeanour, I think he cares a lot. 3 more years at $6.7m is pretty much perfect. I’d make him the C. Its obvious they all consider him the C anyway. He is getting crankier as he gets older. Wearing a godfather t-shirt for his exit – noted.

Karl – Could Karl be the nicest guy in the league ? He said money is not the most important thing to him so there is some type of discount there for sure. I honestly see Mac crying while interviewing Karl and not offering him a contract at all because he doesn’t want to insult him. Has been such an iron man for so long. I hope we don’t offer him 4 x $3m or something for fear he might take it. Clean break required. Not because Karl is overpaid or terrible or anything really. Its just time to move on. I hope he gets $5m x lots of years somewhere else, and he probably will. Thanks Karl, champion.

Winnik – I don’t think there is any doubt Winnik is gone, and his demeanour backs that up. He said he would like to be back but that won’t happen. We as fans have to hope one of Barber, Boyd, O’Brien, Walker etc fills his spot to the same level or better, and cheaper. I think he did his best, and I’m sure he will get a job.

Shattenkirk – took me about 3 seconds of his exit interview to notice him wearing a Pebble Beach Golf polo shirt. Not very subtle Kevin. He talks a lot. I see no reason why we would sign him to the dollars he is going to get. I think our fan base was probably quite hard on him. He wasn’t terrible but by the same token the Rags or whoever is going to regret the contract they give him at some point. As his very long interview goes on (2nd longest so far behind Barry) you can tell while not crushed at all, he had a lot of positive things to say about our team during his time and for the future. Seems an ok guy. Best of luck with your contract Kevin, but if its with the Rags no luck on the ice.

Eller – like Shatt, not burdened by the past but you can tell in interview had a heavier investment in this years failure seemingly. Having seen him for a full year, he is overpaid slightly. Is a solid player and while our whole roster can’t be flashy creative guys, Lars needs to be more solid than he is. He doesn’t score enough, and is not an elite shutdown guy either. Only has 1 more year at $3.5m and we most likely ride that out due to limited other options. If we could move him for a highish 2nd, who would be our 3C ? Maybe Mojo with the right wingers, but we have been down that road before and then we are spending more at 3C while needing another top 6 winger to boot.

Ovi – so its confirmed Ovi was injured, to what degree we won’t ever know. I am a massive Ovi fan. He could very well bounce back and score 50 next year. I don’t see him being as dynamic as he was in the past but as Caps fans there is nothing better than an Ovi snipe. I smile when he scores and it really doesn’t matter how. He needs to continue to reinvent himself as he gets older. $9.5m. The team needs him to be elite or his salary cripples the team. Would I trade him if a good offer came along ? Pick 8, young cost controlled roster player with high upside, project solid prospect and modest but useful cap dump and I would trade him. Free up $6m with assets incoming. Not keen on retention at all. This won’t happen and I know it. He seems very dejected in interview. It would be very weird seeing Ovi in any other uniform. He has earnt his contract and been worth every penny. I just hope he is as dedicated moving forward as he needs to be.

Orpik – His style of play is becoming largely redundant in the league. I think he has been decent up to date, but given the opportunity, of course like all Caps fans, him moving on without future penalty would be best. How much would i give up to move him ? Not much because we don’t have much to give at this point. If we moved some of the possibilities above, perhaps I’d give a decent draft pick but unless we find a way to have our window remain wide open, I do not favour a buy out extending the penalty. He was very considered as usual on exit interview but given his past successes, it would appear it doesn’t sting quite as bad as some others.

Kuzy – I expected to see him in massive pain over the loss in his interview. He often is after a regular loss. Not so much today, but I think its just youth dulling the pain and him trying not to think about it too much. He and Backy ensures our team will be at least pretty good for the foreseeable future. Lets just hope his contract ends up being closer to $6m than $8m. His performance these playoffs was much better than last year clearly, but does he have another gear for all of next year ? Lets hope so. I think he said the media had faces like somebody died. Not sure why I let him get away with this whereas I wouldn’t others. But i do. We need him to be a free spirit on the ice, so I guess he can off it.

Williams – Definitely my favourite player to listen to on interview and has been for years. He could come across as smug to some, I don’t see it that way. Could he be a coach some day ? I would love to pick his brain for a long amount of time. Great player and great thinker of the game. Mr Game 7 couldn’t help us, and whether we like it or not, I think he is gone. Even if he were to be replaced by an ELC guy, then that only frees up $2.3m. Likely not even enough to pay for Kuzy’s raise. What would his contract have to look like for him to stay ? $2m x 2 I guess and he likely won’t take that. Could be a mercenary for another handful of years. In the unlikely event he does return, I think he needs to be with Eller full time and i’d put Vrana on the other wing. I’d like to have an extended look at that combo.

Oshie – great guy, says all the right things and makes you believe him. I’d be happy to bring him back but the big question mark is term. He gives you the impression that some kind of discount could be there, but what shape is he going to be in by the end of a 6 year contract. If we are moving some other valuable pieces, he is a must sign.

Mojo – No exit interview posted. Is there anything in that ? The further down the list I got, the more all the moves as a package became confusing. Its like a pack of dominoes all lined up. I have no clue how Mac even begins. Should Mojo be moved on for assets, then Vrana almost certainly is in the the top 6.

Almost all of the players were asked about Ovi’s leadership. They all answered positively, but anybody who watched all the answers surely would agree with me that there was not a lot of conviction in the answers.

We must recoup some assets, and I can’t believe for a second that we make no moves. Everybody has a price, but some hard decisions need to be made.

I would make the following moves :

Walk – Alzner, Winnik, Shattenkirk, Connolly
Right Price – Williams, Oshie
Explore – Holts, Ovi
Trade – Carlson, Mojo, Eller, Orpik
Up – Bowey, Vrana, Barber, Stephenson, Walker, Carey

Clearly we can’t make ALL these moves and as stated, everybody has a price. But that sort of breaks it up for mine.

Looking through the UFA list, its slim pickings. Maybe look at Stone or Del Zotto if Carlson and/or Orpik are gone but only short term. There are tons of targets in the RFA’s as always should we trade a big piece.

I kind of like the suggestion above about perhaps signing an old vet. If Mojo was traded and we got say Marleau for 2 years at about the same price. Might give an old guy a new lease of life in hockey. And if it doesn't work, he is gone in 2 years or earlier.

Thanks for reading or not.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Have anyone in mind?

I don't care what the knocks on a guy may be, you have to try a coach with a Cup pedigree. It's the missing element. All 4 coaches remaining have gone farther than Trotz and 3 have Cups. There are available coaches who have won Cups, and we should be talking to them right now.

And I laugh at this "hypothesis" some have (not you) of captaincy/leadership being meaningless. Anyone who's been on good teams at high levels will tell you both matter. That includes sports and business teams. Publicly they may give you the soundbites about everyone being equally important to the morale, direction and success of the team but in private you will hear/see/experience something different. It's true that great leaders don't always WAIT to be given a title before they show their leadership tendencies but having that title gives much more force to their existing talents and influence. And it creates positive momentum.

I don't think you "strip" Ovechkin of the C like some kind of shaming ceremony. I think you start approaching him about focusing more on his health and longevity and just playing hockey, and you ask him for who he thinks should get the C.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Kuzy – I expected to see him in massive pain over the loss in his interview. He often is after a regular loss. Not so much today, but I think its just youth dulling the pain and him trying not to think about it too much. He and Backy ensures our team will be at least pretty good for the foreseeable future. Lets just hope his contract ends up being closer to $6m than $8m. His performance these playoffs was much better than last year clearly, but does he have another gear for all of next year ? Lets hope so. I think he said the media had faces like somebody died. Not sure why I let him get away with this whereas I wouldn’t others. But i do. We need him to be a free spirit on the ice, so I guess he can off it.

Walk – Alzner, Winnik, Shattenkirk, Connolly
Right Price – Williams, Oshie
Explore – Holts, Ovi
Trade – Carlson, Mojo, Eller, Orpik
Up – Bowey, Vrana, Barber, Stephenson, Walker, Carey

Good post.

Kuznetsov was the only one who gets it in my opinion. No one died, it's a game, it's over, we move on and start planning for next seasons horribly deflating defeat. I was over it in 30 min, of course, like most of us, I knew they would lose......

Biggest disappoints in the playoffs for me were without a doubt Holtby and Beagle. Just a few timely saves or a goal or two from Beagle and who knows. I forgot Beagle was on the team he was so irrelevant.

As far as personnel next season Oshie is a must keep, Williams is a "if the price is right" keep. Alzner, Winnick, Connelly, Shatt (who was NEVER staying here) gone.

Lastly, Caps better find a place for Gersich next season or risk losing him for nothing. He is super fast and going to be a decent player. I really hope he gets signed soon.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Can anyone post a list of players in any sport that were stripped of their captaincy while still a core player on their team, who remained with the team?

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Is there any objective, quantifiable evidence that shows that the C matters? I bet there isn't.

It all sounds like superstitious ******** to me. Strip Ovie and suddenly the culture will change! Surely the team will score in game 7s if Oshie is the captain!

My hypothesis is that the C is almost totally irrelevant, and HF pays way too much attention to who wears letters.

It's the well recognized mantle of NHL leadership. I've seen so many stories about how big a deal it is when someone is named an NHL captain, I doubt the players think it's doesn't matter.

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
Can anyone post a list of players in any sport that were stripped of their captaincy while still a core player on their team, who remained with the team?

The Sharks did it twice, once to Marleau and once to Thornton. Both remained and went on to deep playoff runs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad