Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap/Lines etc. Part LXXX (Shatty susp. 2 games)

Status
Not open for further replies.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Ok I had to remove some posts due to the unverifiable claims being made, per site admins, so let's not repeat them and let that drop.

If the person who posted them wants to get vetted (and I don't think he's interested) contact the site admins.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
i

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Looks like Matty Tkachuk is having a hearing for elbowing Doughty last night and I'd guess he'll at least miss the game against the Caps tomorrow.

Jun 15, 2007
Sign Oshie expose Ovechkin to Vegas.

I'm actually 0.1% serious.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Oshie is shooting 24.2% this year and is a career ~13% shooter. If you suddenly believe he has figured out how to score on 1/4 of his shots for the rest of his career then give him a huge contract. I'd prefer to take a more measured approach and assume he is getting really lucky this year.

I'd like to re-sign him, but not for 7-8 years and not for much more than $5M a year.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Oshie is shooting 24.2% this year and is a career ~13% shooter. If you suddenly believe he has figured out how to score on 1/4 of his shots for the rest of his career then give him a huge contract. I'd prefer to take a more measured approach and assume he is getting really lucky this year.

I'd like to re-sign him, but not for 7-8 years and not for much more than $5M a year.

If you are focusing on Oshie's shooting and scoring, then you've only been watching half of his game. His effort at the other end of the ice, his hustle to get back and defend, would like to see some of the other forwards emulate.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
If you are focusing on Oshie's shooting and scoring, then you've only been watching half of his game. His effort at the other end of the ice, his hustle to get back and defend, would like to see some of the other forwards emulate.

He's been great, I'm not denying that.

Projecting forward there just aren't very many forwards that continue to be good into their 30s and he's going to get overpaid by someone because that's just what happens. Maybe it's worth it for the Capitals to overpay him in order to get a few more years of production and extend their window and maybe he'll take a slight discount to stay in DC, but it's incredibly unlikely that he will live up to his contract for the duration. He's been dinged up quite a bit this year (including a concussion) and his production is being buoyed by an unsustainable shooting percentage that he will likely never replicate. Those items give me pause when offering a very long contract to a player whose best years are behind him.

If the argument is that he hustles and plays defense, then sign a high-energy grinder to replace him. His value is in his offensive production and I just can't see his production continuing to the tune of 6 years+, $6M+ that he will likely command.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Stats are all that matters. Isabelle proved her lack of real hockey knowledge on the podcast this morning when she explained why Orpik would be playing and Schmidt would be scratched come playoffs. Saying that there's more to it than stats.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Stats are all that matters. Isabelle proved her lack of real hockey knowledge on the podcast this morning when she explained why Orpik would be playing and Schmidt would be scratched come playoffs. Saying that there's more to it than stats.

a. Your passive-aggressive remarks are pretty childish and unfortunately it's part of your M.O. You should probably just address the post/poster you disagree with rather than do what you just did.

b. I've said before that Orpik over Schmidt is a perfectly fine decision (link right here: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=129550315&postcount=4). Also it's not like Schmidt puts up great boxcars so he's not the best example of valuing "stats" over all else.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Trotz also mentioned that orpik will get more games off/rest for rest of season

I just watched the presser. Did Trotz say that? I listened to it twice and what he said was that he would leave that up to Orpik. Isabelle asked "are you thinking about resting him a little bit down the stretch here?". Trotz says, "ah..A little bit, but I am going to leave that up to him."

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
He's been great, I'm not denying that.

Projecting forward there just aren't very many forwards that continue to be good into their 30s and he's going to get overpaid by someone because that's just what happens. Maybe it's worth it for the Capitals to overpay him in order to get a few more years of production and extend their window and maybe he'll take a slight discount to stay in DC, but it's incredibly unlikely that he will live up to his contract for the duration. He's been dinged up quite a bit this year (including a concussion) and his production is being buoyed by an unsustainable shooting percentage that he will likely never replicate. Those items give me pause when offering a very long contract to a player whose best years are behind him.

If the argument is that he hustles and plays defense, then sign a high-energy grinder to replace him. His value is in his offensive production and I just can't see his production continuing to the tune of 6 years+, $6M+ that he will likely command.

Is Justin Williams worth 5.5 mil a year? No.

Would he be an anchor at that salary? Hardly.

Oshie plays more or less the same style on steroids. Having him devolve into a savvy veteran 45 point 2nd line RW would hardly be the end of the world

He is the precise kind of player you sign to a long deal to bring down the cap hit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->