Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap/Lines etc. Part LXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Be totally OK with that as long as Trotz doesn't feel his hand is forced to play him. Because if the situation arises of "We traded for a top 4 vet, so we have to use him." I don't want that. If Schmidt and/or Orlov are better than mystery man top 4 vet, then he sits in the press box JUST IN CASE.

I honestly don't see anybody out there that's speculated to be traded I'd start over either of them.

They've earned their strips and we've won because of them not in spite of them.

which is why my suggestion has been to find a solid 5d that is defense first. somebody that wont rank Orlov or Schmidt but could be a solid injury replacement and who plays a different game the either 9 or 88

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
Who would you rather have?

A.
D CF% 56.5 | opponents CF% just under 50 | More OZ Starts than DZ by a decent margin

or

B.
D CF% 50.8 | opponents CF% just above 50 | More DZ starts than OZ by a small margin

A.
C CF% 46.5 | OZ starts right at 33%

or

B.
C CF% 60.4 | OZ starts at 36%

A.
W CF% 50.6 | opponents CF% just below 50 | OZ starts at 36%

or

B.
W CF% 59.3 | opponents CF% just below 50 | OZ starts at 36%

A.
D CF% 50.0 | opponents CF% just above 50 | OZ starts at only 30%

or

B.
D CF% 57.2 | opponents CF% just below 50 | OZ starts at 38%

tmljeh19*

I'd really like to see Gomez get a call up before the playoffs. 19 points in 19 games with Hershey. The Galiev experiment needs to end.

tmljeh19*

Gomez has an AHL contract. Galiev needs to be sent down or traded.

I'm aware. I'd like to see what Gomez could do on the fourth line. He's been killing in his time with Hershey. As he should be. Again. He can't be any worse than Galiev, Latta or Laich in that fourth line.

tmljeh19*

If we are making a move for a 4W, I think it needs to be someone that's a vet tough guy. My ideal fit is Talbot. Now whether Boston would make him available is another question. I think Wilson is going to be even more handcuffed come playoff time. I'd rather add a vet with grit to that 4th line than have Wilson take dumb penalties.

Ovechkin-Backstrom-Oshie
Burakovsky-Kuznetsov-Williams
Chimera-Johansson-Wilson
Richards-Beagle-Talbot

Really any of the 3 can center that 4th line

MW6

Oct 21, 2011
Halland
Matt Hendricks
Mark Fayne

For

Brooks Laich
Stan Galiev

Fayne is the depth D-man needed as insurance for a long run. Hendricks is an upgrade over Laich. Oilers get out of some term, and a boom or bust prospect. Caps get more "useful" term. Fayne was great in NJ, but have as everyone else looked worse as an Oiler D. If Trotz can make Chorney look like he belongs, Fayne will definitely do too!

tmljeh19*

Matt Hendricks
Mark Fayne

For

Brooks Laich
Stan Galiev

Fayne is the depth D-man needed as insurance for a long run. Hendricks is an upgrade over Laich. Oilers get out of some term, and a boom or bust prospect. Caps get more "useful" term. Fayne was great in NJ, but have as everyone else looked worse as an Oiler D. If Trotz can make Chorney look like he belongs, Fayne will definitely do too!

I would be all over that.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
JVR
Polak (50% retained)

Laich
Galiev
Carrick
Samsanov
2016 1st

JVR to 2nd LW. Move Bura to 3rd line, Chimera to 4th (or flip flop), and Laich off the team.

Move Polak to 7D when Orpik returns, Chorney to 8D (Hershey). Caps lose 2 guys that won't play for them (Carrick and Galiev) for Polak, and a G prospect that is highly regarded but won't be needed for years (if ever). Lose a 1st, but dumping Laich for JVR is a huge win. Worth Samsanov and a 1st.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Matt Hendricks
Mark Fayne

For

Brooks Laich
Stan Galiev

Well, I don't see a need for Laich from Oilers' standpoint.

Hendricks is meh. He's regular season player. 34 years old already.

I'd try Korpikoski before MH. He's younger, better at offense (afair), plays PK.

PS: If there is a fear for lower cap... Laich trade value will be even lower.

PPS: OK, maybe Oilers are very young and could benefit from one certain consummate professional.

Last edited:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Fayne's contract is worse than Laich's. Laich plays and Fayne wouldn't. Hendricks proved to be overmatched in the playoffs.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Fayne's contract is worse than Laich's. Laich plays and Fayne wouldn't.

Yeah I want no part of Fayne's contract. As a player for defensive depth going into the playoffs sure but going into next season with a guy with a $3.625 mil cap hit not even having a place in the lineup would be absurd. Plus he is also signed for one more season after next so little chance of getting rid of him.

Plus Chorney has been very good as their 7th guy and if they can bring him back I would prefer that.

I'm all for bringing in a vet defensively but he pretty much needs to be a rental and if he isn't he needs to be a clear upgrade on what they have now.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Well, I don't see a need for Laich from Oilers' standpoint.

Hendricks is meh. He's regular season player. 34 years old already.

I'd try Korpikoski before MH. He's younger, better at offense (afair), plays PK.

PS: If there is a fear for lower cap... Laich trade value will be even lower.

PPS: OK, maybe Oilers are very young and could benefit from one certain consummate professional.

JVR and Polak!

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Yeah I want no part of Fayne's contract. As a player for defensive depth going into the playoffs sure but going into next season with a guy with a $3.625 mil cap hit not even having a place in the lineup would be absurd. Plus he is also signed for one more season after next so little chance of getting rid of him.

Plus Chorney has been very good as their 7th guy and if they can bring him back I would prefer that.

I'm all for bringing in a vet defensively but he pretty much needs to be a rental and if he isn't he needs to be a clear upgrade on what they have now.

Agreed.

We need to deal with the Leafs. They can take Laich's contract, and can give us player(s) that will help our (small) deficiencies.

tmljeh19*

As telling as last nights game was, the LA game will be even more telling. Hopefully they finally realized you can't out skill a team always like they have been doing as of late. I'm completely ok with getting our ass handed to us like that if it wakes them up.

With that said I think it's even more evident after last nights game that we need to make two moves. One to finish of that 4th line and one for a vet D. A take no BS defender. Someone that's not going to take too kindly to having our goalie messed with. Now before you jump me, yes I know that describes Orpik to the letter, but, worse case scenario he comes back and looks awful. You can't just trot him out there for the hell of it if it hurts the team. Best case scenario he comes back and plays like he did last playoffs and now you have two players like that in your line up.

I get that it'd be an embarrassment of riches to have Chorney as a 8D but who cares? I know we have this two year window but to me next year doesn't exist. This is the best chance this team has had for a cup in maybe ever. Next year doesn't exist. You can't say anything will be the same. Players can slump, players can be injured. We don't know. All we know is what we have this year and we need to make it count.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
the caps don't need jvr any more than ladd. in fact ladd is a much better for trotz if they did have the need.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
As telling as last nights game was, the LA game will be even more telling. Hopefully they finally realized you can't out skill a team always like they have been doing as of late. I'm completely ok with getting our ass handed to us like that if it wakes them up.

With that said I think it's even more evident after last nights game that we need to make two moves. One to finish of that 4th line and one for a vet D. A take no BS defender. Someone that's not going to take too kindly to having our goalie messed with. Now before you jump me, yes I know that describes Orpik to the letter, but, worse case scenario he comes back and looks awful. You can't just trot him out there for the hell of it if it hurts the team. Best case scenario he comes back and plays like he did last playoffs and now you have two players like that in your line up.

I get that it'd be an embarrassment of riches to have Chorney as a 8D but who cares? I know we have this two year window but to me next year doesn't exist. This is the best chance this team has had for a cup in maybe ever. Next year doesn't exist. You can't say anything will be the same. Players can slump, players can be injured. We don't know. All we know is what we have this year and we need to make it count.

The Caps didn't lose last night because of the 4th line. They lost as much as anything as much because Benn whiffed his first shot and Holtby slide out of position by the second attempt. that and the 5 on 3 goal. I don't think the Caps had their ass handed to them.

Oprik will be back. IF and when Orpik shows he isn't ready, you find someone. til then I wouldn't be using valuable assets to replace a player that might not need to be replaced

The only thing that I got out of last night is that Trotz might have used Chimera Beagle Wilson to check Benn had he had the option rather than Backstrom.

tmljeh19*

The Caps didn't lose last night because of the 4th line. They lost as much as anything as much because Benn whiffed his first shot and Holtby slide out of position by the second attempt. that and the 5 on 3 goal. I don't think the Caps had their ass handed to them.

Oprik will be back. IF and when Orpik shows he isn't ready, you find someone. til then I wouldn't be using valuable assets to replace a player that might not need to be replaced

The only thing that I got out of last night is that Trotz might have used Chimera Beagle Wilson to check Benn had he had the option rather than Backstrom.

First off I never said they lost because of the 4th line. But that's the biggest weakness as far as lines go. A tough, hard nosed 4th line wing will do wonders for that line over Brooks friggin Laich. They have the offensive fire power. They were an open net and two posts away from tying or winning that game.

Their biggest hole is a physical presence. The only resemblance they have of that is Wilson and he's been targeted by the league and therefore handcuffed. And you do realize the trade deadline is in 15 days right. And Orpik hasn't played a game yet. If he's back Tuesday, that's 7 games to make a decision. Hell Carlson still doesn't look good yet.

So again. This team is lacking in the physicality department. I would look to as a 4W and 4/5/6 D with a physical game.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Their biggest hole is a physical presence. The only resemblance they have of that is Wilson and he's been targeted by the league and therefore handcuffed. And you do realize the trade deadline is in 15 days right. And Orpik hasn't played a game yet. If he's back Tuesday, that's 7 games to make a decision. Hell Carlson still doesn't look good yet.

So again. This team is lacking in the physicality department. I would look to as a 4W and 4/5/6 D with a physical game.

1st line. Ovechkin isn't a physical presence? Oshie? Ovechkin is epic in that regard and Oshie is relentless. Lets not treat backstrom like some donut either. He decked Seguin yesterday enough to fully piss Seguin off
2nd line. Williams isn't a slouch.
3rd line. Chimera is a load. He is fast and he hits. He grinds. Wilson....Beagle is big. He plays big.

The Caps forward bunch is far more physical than one guy.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
“I got that question, ‘What happens when Beags comes back?’ †Trotz said. “Probably you could put him, Brooks [Laich] and [Michael Latta] and [Mike Richards] and a sort of combination of that. During a game, you could flip flop and put Beags in the middle and [Marcus Johansson] back up and do things like that. I think what it’ll do is it’ll probably even the minutes back out a little bit for everybody and you can get away from matchups. You can throw out a line of Richie and Beags and, say, Brooks Laich and not feel like you’re going to get overwhelmed or anything like that.â€

also, 2 possibilities per khurshydan: Buffalo’s Mike Weber and Toronto’s Roman Polak

Weber has a cap hit of $1.66 million, which would only leave the Capitals with about $500,000 in salary to move to make it fit. Like Hamhuis, Weber is an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season, and the 28-year-old has averaged 16 minutes in the 34 games he’s played this year. Toronto’s Roman Polak, 29, has a $2.75 million cap hit and is also an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season, and the Leafs would likely want a prospect or a pick in return. Polak has one goal and 11 assists in 52 games played, averaging more than 19 minutes per game this year.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-move-at-the-trade-deadline-what-would-it-be/

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
I like both of those guys on a #6 role. Would definitely be nice to have a rotation of Schmidt/Orlov/1 of them and to switch up that pairing on a game to game basis depending on the situation of the series.

Also putting 90 at 2LW and Beagle at 3C seems like an optimal late-game switch up if we're leading.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
I don't want Mike Weber at all. He's John Erskine of todays NHL.

Roman Polak would be a solid addition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad