Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap/Lines etc. Part LXIV (A New Hope)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
I don't see any changes coming unless they have a really bad effort game. Schmidt looked really dynamic, and I really like the way any line can play offense with them. There's a little to be desired in their own end but they don't seem to be there too frequently.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
Orpik was head and shoulders our best skater last postseason. To me, he hasn't lost a step so that's not the issue. And I'm not that worried that his decline is in the form of mentally forgetting how to play defense between 34 and 35. I expect his to clean up his game throughout the season and stand out again when the whistles go away

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
27 - 2
88 - 74
44 - 9

You can swap Carlson and Nisky if you really want. Make Orpik play a simple game to compensate for Orlov, with reduced level of competition. Even if you want to excuse Orpik's poor performance so far on his lack of a training camp, there's no reason to feed him big minutes or shutdown match-ups at this point. He should be playing a depth role until he can prove he's capable of handling more.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Orpik was head and shoulders our best skater last postseason. To me, he hasn't lost a step so that's not the issue. And I'm not that worried that his decline is in the form of mentally forgetting how to play defense between 34 and 35. I expect his to clean up his game throughout the season and stand out again when the whistles go away

Watch his change of directions and cornering ability. He looks like Erskine out there right now, in that respect. Hopefully it's just the lack of training camp.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006

Training camp is a little over two weeks, right? It's been about a month now and while that's catching up on the fly it's hard to buy him needing such a long time to get right. His timing should be much better by now but he seems to either play casual or too intense and it results in bad puck plays and poor positioning. That lack of intelligence and composure in a defensive defenseman is a killer. He has one job and he's not doing it well at all.

I do think their overall timing remains very questionable and that doesn't help anyone. Nonetheless, Reirden will need to adjust in a big way if Orpik continues to show he's not up to the task of playing with Carlson.

Backstrom #19

Trotz for president
May 12, 2007
Savannah Georgia
Ovechkin - Kuznetsov - Oshie
Burakovsky - Backstrom - Wilson
Johansson - Stephenson - Williams
Chimera - Laich - Beagle

Alzner - Carlson
Orlov - Niskanen
Orpik - Schmidt

Gives the forward lines some balance, lets Trotz roll all four lines, which he seems like he wants to do. Something needs to be done with the defensive pairings. They are a mess in the defensive zone right now.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I see no reason why 43 should be an offensive role. I see no way that 65 has earned more ice time than 90. I see no reason to break up 90-19-14 right now.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Watch his change of directions and cornering ability. He looks like Erskine out there right now, in that respect. Hopefully it's just the lack of training camp.

Sorry that's a huge exaggeration. Maybe you need watch some old Erskine video.

I'm with BCF. Nothing to worry about right now unless you just love worrying.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

What? That's not true, the best player was either Ovi or Ward IMO.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002

Johansson and Williams are playing pretty darn well and as a result get a demotion and have to play with an at absolute best borderline 4th line NHL player as their centerman and Wilson has done pretty much nothing offensively and Burakovsky has been awful defensively and as a result get promotions and get to play with Backstrom. Seriously?

Maybe they should just pick lines out of a hat...?

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Ovechkin - Kuznetsov - Oshie
Chimera - Laich - Beagle

Alzner - Carlson
Orlov - Niskanen
Orpik - Schmidt

Gives the forward lines some balance, lets Trotz roll all four lines, which he seems like he wants to do. Something needs to be done with the defensive pairings. They are a mess in the defensive zone right now.

Orlov playing critical defensive minutes against tougher competition is a recipe for disaster today IMO. Keep him on the 3rd pair, shelter him and cultivate his confidence for now.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Backstrom's line is fine, they're playing their own style, and quite effective I think. Generating moments, scoring some goals, controlling the puck. Didn't look up their GA stats but I don't think it's grim (aside from Mojo's mistake yesterday and the likes).

Kuzy is struggling at times, but he was promoted and it's understandable. Just his opponents are tougher now. We need to wait to see if he can hold up. Trotz already using Backstrom for some key faceoffs in OZ to try set up Ovi's shot. I guess they know what Kuzy lacks and work on it. Oshie and Ovi could use their moments better lately, but nothing much to do with it - it's their business mostly, and coaches will point at that most probably. Those moments when Ovi doesn't shoot - they will figure it out eventually. We don't even played many games to evaluate current top-6 struggles properly. Maybe previous games were an aberration (weak opponents, convenient schedule), maybe Ovi/TJ/Kuz just weren't good in last ones.

Bottom-6 playing as expected I think. A bunch of misfit players. Maybe they should try Chimera-Stephenson-Burakovsky and Laich-Beagle-Wilson.

Defensively, well... Many options. They need more games to try something and say if it worked. At least Schmidt should be in the roster over Chorney, that's for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad