Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap/Lines etc. Part LXIV (A New Hope)

Status
Not open for further replies.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Clark was packaged with Jurcina for Chimera. A captain/3rd liner and 6/7 d-man for a 30 year old guy who had 8 goals and played only 49 games the previous year and 80 goals over 8 NHL seasons at that time.

Clark was also only making $2.75M.

What kind of a deal does that mean for Laich?

$2.75m in a $56.8m cap and $4.5m in a $70m cap.

I am not suggesting that the Caps will or even want to trade Laich. I am just saying it could happen. I am also saying that most GM's have ongoing communication with the other teams and have a basic idea of which players might be available under what circumstances.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Finally Bura gets off the 4th line. Wilson is more fit for the 4th line and Bura brings some skill to the 3rd line.

That's the way it should be.

Generally, it's nice to see Bura get more ice-time.

But I don't know that there's really more potential for chemistry for him with Chimmer and Beagle than Laich & Stephenson.

In the end, I think Bura needs to elbow MJ out, and 3rd line needs to get better at doing grindy things.

Unless Galiev or somebody else comes into the mix to make 3-line offense possible again.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Just thinking out loud, maybe they can try Laich with Backstrom & Williams, and then try the one-time successful MJ-Bura mix, let's say with Chimmer. At least maybe could make Laich less untradeable..

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Just thinking out loud, maybe they can try Laich with Backstrom & Williams, and then try the one-time successful MJ-Bura mix, let's say with Chimmer. At least maybe could make Laich less untradeable..

No don't mess with the top 6! :rant:

Trotz is driving me nuts with these line changes.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
In the end, I think Bura needs to elbow MJ out.

Oh I can't wait for that to happen. Then we will have two very dangerous line, particulalrly if Backstrom continues to anchor that second line. Its got to happen well before the playoffs, I would think.

capitalsrock

Sep 7, 2012
The, what, one line change in 8 games? :laugh: Pretty much the only thing that Trotz has tweaked is the 4C and 3rd pairing defensemen.

I think he's talking about all of the line tweaking that Trotz does during the game, which he does a lot, usually to spark the offense like the Ovi-Beagle-Williams experiment from last game.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I think Trotz is trying boost Bura's confidence. I get the sense 65 needs to be coddled a bit more than 43. I also think 65's game is more dependent on him feeling good about himself than 43's is.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I think he's talking about all of the line tweaking that Trotz does during the game, which he does a lot, usually to spark the offense like the Ovi-Beagle-Williams experiment from last game.

Unless you count an odd shift every now and then (usually after a PK or PP), he hasn't even really done that. The lines have remained remarkably stable this season. We had a couple games without Backstrom, some 4C rotations, the third period of the last game, and now Bura being promoted to 3C. That's literally the entirety of the line changes Trotz has done this season. Hardly any changes for 10 games. Certainly far less than we saw with Boudreau and Oates.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Perhaps/probably Trotz is more concerned with getting the team to play his way, with consistent effort and attention to detail, than anything else.

For this purpose, for example, it would be ok to put a more grindy player in -- with an 8-2 record, they can afford to do something suboptimal.

Then, if/when the team settles into a groove, there can be more emphasis on getting the skilled guys in sync.

Just molding facts to fit some wishful thinking :) Would be great to see more development from Bura, Stephenson, Galiev as the season progresses.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Would be great to see more development from Galiev as the season progresses.

Unless you buy into the BS about simply practicing with NHL players as being a great way to develop young players I'm not sure how that is going to happen. He needs to be playing regular minutes in Hershey.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
I think Trotz is trying boost Bura's confidence. I get the sense 65 needs to be coddled a bit more than 43. I also think 65's game is more dependent on him feeling good about himself than 43's is.

65's game is dependent on him eating a sandwich or two. He looks like Elliot from ET: The Extra Terrestial.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Unless you buy into the BS about simply practicing with NHL players as being a great way to develop young players I'm not sure how that is going to happen. He needs to be playing regular minutes in Hershey.

This. Can't t understand why Stan still with the team if he doesnt play.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
he must be exposed to waivers to send him to Hershey. clearly MacLellan thinks that is too risky.

Or he values the players in Hershey getting experience over Galiev getting experience. It's not like we have a bunch of long in the tooth vets in Hershey chewing up time. The forward core is pretty much all in their low or mid 20s. Galiev is a 5th year pro. GMBM might simply view him as a (more or less) finished product.

Personally, I don't view Galiev as a developmental priority at this stage in his career. Granted, Caleb Herbert isn't exactly tearing it up in the AHL, so it's not like he'd be pushing a quality prospect out of the Hershey lineup.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Or he values the players in Hershey getting experience over Galiev getting experience. It's not like we have a bunch of long in the tooth vets in Hershey chewing up time. The forward core is pretty much all in their low or mid 20s. Galiev is a 5th year pro. GMBM might simply view him as a (more or less) finished product.

Personally, I don't view Galiev as a developmental priority at this stage in his career. Granted, Caleb Herbert isn't exactly tearing it up in the AHL, so it's not like he'd be pushing a quality prospect out of the Hershey lineup.

Galiev had one full year in the AHL, how is he not a developmental priority? It's clear he has the skill set to succeed but he definitely needs to be playing games.

Plus, like you said, he would be taking Herbert's spot in the lineup and it's safe to assume that Herbert isn't going to make the NHL at this point. He's been awful and deserves to be in the ECHL

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
IMO, Galiev shouldn't be a developmental priority because there are younger players with more NHL upside in the organization. He only has one year of AHL experience because he failed to secure an AHL job for two seasons. He's already 23. I'd much rather they emphasize the development of guys like Vrana, Barber, Stephenson, and even Walker.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
IMO, Galiev shouldn't be a developmental priority because there are younger players with more NHL upside in the organization. He only has one year of AHL experience because he failed to secure an AHL job for two seasons. He's already 23. I'd much rather they emphasize the development of guys like Vrana, Barber, Stephenson, and even Walker.

This isn't fully true. He struggled his rookie season, but his second season was cut short due to injury after a bad hit. It also didn't help that Haviland was the coach at that time and didn't give Galiev the trust or opportunity to succeed like Mann did last season and look how that paid off.

There were many players who came into the NHL at a later age than 23 and they can easily give Galiev the necessary playing time along the lines of those you mentioned.

MoJoSauce

Apr 3, 2011
NNK
Think they change up the D pairs? Or just ride it out for a bit?

Was nice seeing Schmidt play well last night.

I think you have to ride it out a bit. Orpik did have off season wrist surgery so that is probably messing with his ability and confidence in moving the puck. The other thing with him is that he seemed to have some of those same lapses at the beginning of last season on reading breakouts.

Anyone remember sniper John Scotts breakaway last year against Orpik?

Might help to have Alzner and Niskananen face the top competition while Orpik and Carlson figure their stuff out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad