Achievements never seen in MLB (theoretical possible)

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
MLB is well know for myriads of statistics. Is there any achievement, somehow possible, but never seen in MLB?

Five home runs in a game, twenty-seven strikeouts in a game, one hundred runs scored in a game... Because baseball games have no theoretical maximum length, you can think of any ludicrously large number of events in a single game.

Pitching a perfect game where your team commits an error - this has nothing to do with game length. Having a perfect (1.000) winning percentage, as a pitcher, in a large number of decisions (the record was 18-1, set by relief pitcher Elroy Face in 1959, but apparently a Max Fried, of whom I have never heard, went 7-0 last year in 11 starts and actually achieved this).

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
i think we'll see 5 HRs in a game one day

mike cameron came so close in '02 but he flied out to the warning track in his last AB
I remember that.

That also reminds me of the 2006 game between the Padres and the Dodgers. LA hit 4 HR in a row in the 9th and Julio Lugo’s warning track power sent the ball to the track and almost hit it out. That was the last time a team came close to hitting 5 HR in a row in a single game, which has never happened before.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Fernando Tatis with 2 grand slams in the same inning is still the most ridiculous feat I'm aware of...

I wonder what the odds are of that record ever being broken?

1 in a million? 1 in a billion? 1 in a trillion?

Last edited:

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I remember that.

That also reminds me of the 2006 game between the Padres and the Dodgers. LA hit 4 HR in a row in the 9th and Julio Lugo’s warning track power sent the ball to the track and almost hit it out. That was the last time a team came close to hitting 5 HR in a row in a single game, which has never happened before.

4 home runs in a row has only been done 9 times ever. JD Drew is only player to be involved twice.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Fernando Tatis with 2 grand slams in the same inning is still the most ridiculous feat I'm aware of...

I wonder what the odds are off that record ever being broken?

If you take a huge home run hitter, they may have a roughly 1 in 10/11 chance to hit a home run in any particular at-bat, so homering in two consecutive at-bats would be about a 1 in 100 chance, and three 1 in a 1000. The real difficulty would be in loading the bases three times in the same inning before the home run hitter. If you assume the entire lineup has a .400 OBP (maybe because the pitching they're facing is terrible, and they're a really good team), the odds are on the order of, what, 0.4 to the 22nd power (you need 22 batters in one inning), which is about 1 in 568 million. Since you can accept two outs, the odds should be better than that, but you also have to factor in extra-base hits, runners taking the extra base, stolen bases, and so on that would reduce the odds (because there might not be loaded bases for our home run hitter), and you also have to factor in the odds of the home runs occurring, so I think 1 in a trillion might be about accurate.

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
that's a good one

how would that even be done?

Lead off single
Another single, baserunner tries to advance to third but gets tagged out.
Another single, men on 1st and 2nd with one out.
4th single in a row but runner from 2nd tries to score and gets thrown out at the plate. 1st and 2nd again but now two outs.
Infield single to make it 5 hits in a row. Everyone is safe and now the bases are loaded.
Strikeout. Inning over.

Yeah, I had to think that through lol.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
I know it's happened once before, but throwing a no hitter and losing the game is a WTF one for sure.

I'd like to see a double golden sombrero in a game, seems more and more likely with the 3 outcomes approach infiltrating the game

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon

I wonder what the odds are off that record ever being broken?

To take make that even more unreachable is the fact both were off the same pitcher. No way a pitcher stays in long enough to go that today.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
I know it's happened once before, but throwing a no hitter and losing the game is a WTF one for sure.

I'd like to see a double golden sombrero in a game, seems more and more likely with the 3 outcomes approach infiltrating the game

Andy Hawkins who was pitching for the Yankees gave up 4 runs, no hits in 8 innings and lost. MLB no longer recognizes no hitter in a loss

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Andy Hawkins who was pitching for the Yankees gave up 4 runs, no hits in 8 innings and lost. MLB no longer recognizes no hitter in a loss
I think Jared Weaver lost a game 1-0 to the dodgers and threw an 8-inning no hitter? If you throw 9 but lose that’s bullshit because you still threw a no hitter, you just didn’t win. No hits is no hits.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad