ACHA Eligibility

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
Fake (a/k/a "club") college hockey will probably let anyone play.

A friend of mine played 2 years of ACHA Div. I (he was completing a Masters degree in the US) after having played a 4-year CIS career a few seasons earlier. This suggests that there are no eligibility constraints.

sbkbghockey

Aug 26, 2008
at the ice rink, USA
Crazy Eddie and Miami are speeking about how the old ACHA was a lot less restrictive with eligiibility rules. It 10-15 to 20 years ago, it was a slight step above beer league in many aspects.

In the last 5-10 years, the organization has gotten a lot more organized and their eligbility rules generally parallel the NCAA ones.

ACHA D1 has four years of eligibility while ACHA D2 and D3 have five years. And now in any division, any year playing NCAA, CIS or other varsity hockey will cut into the max amount of ACHA time.

For more details see their rules and regulations section on eligibility. http://achahockey.org/view/achahockey/about-the-acha/rules-regulations-9

Edit: I just found new rules regarding the CHL on an ACHA-based message board

C. A student-athlete who was rostered by a CHL program shall be restricted by the additional following ACHA eligibility policy rules:

Players rostered on a CHL team in the season during which they turn 18 years of age on or before September 15 are ineligible to compete in the ACHA.

Players rostered on a CHL team in the season during which they turn 17 years of age on or before September 15 are subject to the ACHA CHL Residency Rule. (see rule below)

Players rostered on a CHL team in the season during which they do not yet turn 17 years of age on or before September 15 are not subject to the ACHA CHL Residency Rule.

* CHL Residency Rule: Residency is defined as 365 days from enrollment at the prospective team's university. Student-athlete must also be enrolled and taking the minimum credit requirement as defined by their ACHA division.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad