News Article: According to Pierre McGuire, Wings frontrunners for Krug

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Non existent?

Suspended:
2 games for elbowing
5 games for a low bridge (Salo suffered a concussion)
2 games for slew-footing
3 games for clipping
2 games for spearing
5 games for elbowing (Johansson suffered a concussion)

Fined:
slew footing
roughing
tripping
diving
cross-checking

Playing like the Marchand who scores 100 points, great. Playing like the rat who has cheapshotted players throughout his career, no thanks.

I have this t-shirt...

s-l225.jpg

Own Marchand in one manager league, and my friend bought it as a gift. :)

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
There's a huge difference between a slash in pursuit of the puck (Larkin) and spearing a guy in the crotch behind the play (Marchand).

Some of Marchand's plays could've ended the other guy's career (major knee injuries). I'm surprised he hasn't been disciplined more severely.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Ok fine. You know what? Players like Marchand who are dirty af and can put up elite numbers are super rare, so ofc we have never had someone like him on the Wings, so I can't say with certainty how much I would hate him if he was on our team. The examples I have aren't elite scorers, sure. But you have just as much as an argument as me in saying we'd all love him and want his number retired. In complete honesty, I'd certainly love having such a player on our team, but I would most certainly hate the person and hope he could be traded for a more respectable player who has a similar production. Also, I know these kinds of players are also annoying to their teammates, I know I got really mad at one of my teammate before because he couldn't stop being dirty. That's also why I've been against trading (and overpaying) for Trouba or Krug (rumor). Both are very talented but they rub me the wrong way and would hope we would keep our assets and develop and our defensemen and keep building chemistry within the organization.

And yeah, I just saw your sarcastic post above. So I guess Marchand isn't even dirty to you, right? A question for you: Who can you possibly think is dirtier than him in today's NHL?

more that I just think it's overblown,honestly I don't really think about players in those terms very often so don't have like a list of players or anything

but Tom Wilson springs instantly to mind

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Calling a player dirty ( Larkin is, like it or not) is not equal to comparing him to Marchand.. sorry, not sorry.

Calverts play was dirty too, whats your point? Is it not dirty to throw uppercuts at a guy when your on the bench and hes in a headlock?

Ya know who else is dirty AF. Larkin. Larkin hacks, slashes, crosschecks all day long.. and I love him.

If Marchand was on the Wings, you and all the other haters would love him. (Me included)

The implication is who else besides Marchand is dirty AF? Larkin. So you're saying Marchand is dirty AF and Larkin is dirty AF.

That's not comparing them?

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
Well, then there's literally nothing that could shake your case.

Six suspensions and 3 fines is "virtually non-existent" by your account.

I've more than qualified what I meant by "virtually non-existent".

I've watched the video on all of those. Good on the NHL for reigning him in, they are for sure targeted cheap shots, and that could be a slippery slope. But the guy is halfway through his career, so it's starting to seem like he has a fair bit of traction as an agitator vs a predator at this point.

Brad Stuart absolutely ruined the 2nd half of Zetterbergs career, and severely damaged his quality of life moving forward. If that's an honest mistake, how come Marchand hasnt made that same mistake yet?

The discussion isnt, "should we like Brad Marchand" the discussion is "is Marchand such an egregious outlier that we should call Krugs character into question"

That's quite a leap that doesnt make much hockey sense.

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
Not trying to gatekeep you here bud, but if you don't remember late 80's early 90's hockey, how can you claim I don't grasp Marchands play? I just remember when his antics were normal. (Not that I want the game to go back to that)

more that I just think it's overblown,honestly I don't really think about players in those terms very often so don't have like a list of players or anything

but Tom Wilson springs instantly to mind

No hard feelings btw, I guess both of you feel like Marchand isn't that bad but myself and multiple other people in every other team's fanbases feel quite differently about the subject, that's fine. Tom Wilson is a good example, but even him doesn't come close to what Marchand does in my opinion. Marchand does a LOT of sneaky stuff that can be low-key damaging to other player's health. I think the count for the things he has done is much higher than anyone else's. Could be wrong, could be just a feeling, but Marchand is always involved in unnecessary antics and I think it has already been proven here. I will say that I hate Kadri almost just as much :laugh:, and the guy is also really good at hockey.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
I never gave an opinion. I offered a counterpoint and asked for clarification or context. Suit yourself though.

Come on, you absolutely implied an opinion. If you wanted to play Devil's Advocate, just say so; you've been around here long enough to know how full-blown, thread-derailing arguments get started, and that was one of them.

Edit: And after reading the rest of the thread, that's exactly what's happened.

Ninja Edit: Misread what you initially typed, sorted it out, point still stands. Had a rough week, sorry.

Last edited:
Reactions: Voodoo Glow Skulls

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
I don't believe any of this at all. Posturing for a new deal imo from Boston. Everything between the lines suggest that, and from the Red Wings stand point, everything between the lines suggest they're interested in Trouba, not trading for or unloading the money boat for Krug.

I don't blame the Krug camp for wanting a new deal in place, smaller dude, got hurt this year an miss a good amount of time. Idk, getting the money early/extension in place with that team(Boston) just isnt' a bad idea imo. They'll remain good for a little while so he might as well get paid too.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Is this still the old agent tactics, that "player X is gonna go to Detroit" and that pushes the price just up?

Now Yzerman is at Detroit, so everybody is gonna go to Detroit. Or we are heavily after everybody.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Is this still the old agent tactics, that "player X is gonna go to Detroit" and that pushes the price just up?

Now Yzerman is at Detroit, so everybody is gonna go to Detroit. Or we are heavily after everybody.

Yzerman wouldn't be a very smart guy if he wasn't calling on every available defender. The blueline needs major renovation. I have zero doubts Detroit is "in" on all these guys. How aggressively is the factor we don't know.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Yzerman wouldn't be a very smart guy if he wasn't calling on every available defender. The blueline needs major renovation. I have zero doubts Detroit is "in" on all these guys. How aggressively is the factor we don't know.

Yeah, I'm quite sure Yzerman is calling every GM through, about who's available.

And then media and people on the scenes make it up like "he must be heavily after somebody".

Just getting all the possible scenarios through, and maybe does something, maybe not.

IcedJuicebox

Feb 2, 2019
Not trying to gatekeep you here bud, but if you don't remember late 80's early 90's hockey, how can you claim I don't grasp Marchands play? I just remember when his antics were normal. (Not that I want the game to go back to that)
I remember those guys and remember "old time hockey" and Marchand wouldn't have survived back then. Headshots were rampant as hell, but if you went out and were spearing dudes in the balls and slew footing you were getting tuned up by someone who's only job was to physically harm you.

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
I remember those guys and remember "old time hockey" and Marchand wouldn't have survived back then. Headshots were rampant as hell, but if you went out and were spearing dudes in the balls and slew footing you were getting tuned up by someone who's only job was to physically harm you.

McCarty and Maltby come to mind, god I miss them so much

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
Wings also have a new GM who has a history of pursuing pieces he needs much more aggressively than their previous one.

Trade rumours under Holland's tenure always had to be viewed in a 'prices were too high'/'we like our team'/etc context.

I’m so glad that’s over with and if I never have to hear

“We like our team”
“There is no hockey store”
“We kicked the tires”

Again I’ll be a happy man

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Calverts play was dirty too, whats your point? Is it not dirty to throw uppercuts at a guy when your on the bench and hes in a headlock?

Ya know who else is dirty AF. Larkin. Larkin hacks, slashes, crosschecks all day long.. and I love him.

If Marchand was on the Wings, you and all the other haters would love him. (Me included)

No, I can promise you with 100% certainty, that I would not like Marchand on are team. Just because a player is skilled, doesn't mean he has to be liked. Ulf Samuellson, Derian Hatcher, and Brad May were all Wings, and I hated them being on our team. I don't respect the way they play the game, so I didn't want them here and didn't enjoy them on our team. Also, why I wouldn't want Corey Perry, Ryan Reaves, Brad Marchand or other similar players. Some players are good at disturbing without crossing the line, and the players I mentioned do things, that are both cheap and pathetic.

Reactions: HisNoodliness

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

Funny, I don't remember players licking each other back in the early 90s!

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I would be okay with Krug at the right price.

The problem is I don't think Krug is going to be traded for "the right price" at this time, so I probably won't want him.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->