News Article: According to Pierre McGuire, Wings frontrunners for Krug

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
Marchands rap sheet is virtually non existent(a handful of half slew foots resulting in no serious injuries) and he's trending towards a HOF career.

How would it be bad to play like him?

Reactions: Lil Bert

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
Marchands rap sheet is virtually non existent(a handful of half slew foots resulting in no serious injuries) and he's trending towards a HOF career.

We already have a player on the team who has a similar game to that dirty rat Marchand... and I love him, his name is Tyler Bertuzzi.

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
If you need it explained, then nothing I say well change your opinion. We'll just leave it at that.

I never gave an opinion. I offered a counterpoint and asked for clarification or context. Suit yourself though.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018

There's two sides to Marchand. There is Marchand the hockey player, who is one of the best in the league right now, and their is Marchand the competitor, who has a complete lack of respect for the well being of his fellow hockey players. This is not "virtually non-existent" this is actually pretty prominent compared to the rest of the league. https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/bruins/brad-marchands-suspension-history

It's one thing if you want to have someone play like Marchand the hockey player, it's something else if you want Marchand the competitor. Does he make your team better? Significantly. Does he also make it difficult as a fan who wants to be a respectful organization? Significantly.

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
There's two sides to Marchand. There is Marchand the hockey player, who is one of the best in the league right now, and their is Marchand the competitor, who has a complete lack of respect for the well being of his fellow hockey players. This is not "virtually non-existent" this is actually pretty prominent compared to the rest of the league. https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/bruins/brad-marchands-suspension-history

It's one thing if you want to have someone play like Marchand the hockey player, it's something else if you want Marchand the competitor. Does he make your team better? Significantly. Does he also make it difficult as a fan who wants to be a respectful organization? Significantly.

This. The guy's a great player but even if you call it "a handful of slewfoots," it's a handful too many.

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005

His suspension history supports my case imo. His rookie year he needed to be reigned in. Everything else is pretty tame in a historical context. Yzerman and Kozlov have offenses that would register on the scale that resulted in that list.

In comparison to his reputation, his rap sheet is pretty pedestrian imo. Not saying it hasnt been blood boiling at times, but keep in mind we're not even talking about Marchand, somehow this all needs to result in me altering my perception of Krug as a player.

I am 100% down with character and integrity being valued above all else in an athlete. But I also think it's important to be realistic, and in a league where people have seriously harmed one another, i'm having trouble seeing how Marchand is an outlier when everyone seems to have skated away fine since his rookie year, and he's 30 at this point.

Maybe he's been lucky, and you guys are right on that he's a pos that is going to hurt someone one day. But I think people are too eager to put players like Marchand and Perry on the serious offenders list because of how consistently ugly, annoying and successful they were.

If you think those guys are bad, what must you think of players like Dubinsky and Neal?

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

Nov 2, 2018
Ah yes, the play where Calvert spears Bertuzzi on the bench and everyone in the media pretended like Calvert did absolutely nothing.

Calverts play was dirty too, whats your point? Is it not dirty to throw uppercuts at a guy when your on the bench and hes in a headlock?

Ya know who else is dirty AF. Larkin. Larkin hacks, slashes, crosschecks all day long.. and I love him.

If Marchand was on the Wings, you and all the other haters would love him. (Me included)

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
His suspension history supports my case imo. His rookie year he needed to be reigned in. Everything else is pretty tame in a historical context. Yzerman and Kozlov have offenses that would register on the scale that resulted in that list.

In comparison to his reputation, his rap sheet is pretty pedestrian imo. Not saying it hasnt been blood boiling at times, but keep in mind we're not even talking about Marchand, somehow this all needs to result in me altering my perception of Krug as a player.

I am 100% down with character and integrity being valued above all else in an athlete. But I also think it's important to be realistic, and in a league where people have seriously harmed one another, i'm having trouble seeing how Marchand is an outlier when everyone seems to have skated away fine since his rookie year, and he's 30 at this point.

Maybe he's been lucky, and you guys are right on that he's a pos that is going to hurt someone one day. But I think people are too eager to put players like Marchand and Perry on the serious offenders list because of how consistently ugly, annoying and successful they were.

If you think those guys are bad, what must you think of players like Dubinsky and Neal?

yeah but he licked someone once

he's the dirtiest player in the history of the league dude

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Calverts play was dirty too, whats your point? Is it not dirty to throw uppercuts at a guy when your on the bench and hes in a headlock?

Ya know who else is dirty AF. Larkin. Larkin hacks, slashes, crosschecks all day long.. and I love him.

If Marchand was on the Wings, you and all the other haters would love him. (Me included)

I've been on record saying that I would take Marchand on the Wings, and I'm a big fan of Marchand the hockey player. Don't know what you're trying to prove in that respect.

You know what every single hockey player does in every single game? Slashes and crosschecks. You know what every player doesn't do? Slewfoot, elbow, knee, target the head, spear, take out knees. Go find me a single example of Dylan Larkin doing anything in this video. I won't wait for a response because I don't have forever.

Just because I like the player, doesn't mean I like the antics.

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com

Nice try with that. You think I was a fan of Avery or Hatcher? And I was following Phoenix too during the Tippett era and I certainly didn't start liking Raffi Torres. I'm lucky the Wings never truly had any dirty players (as far as I can remember), but I will say that I started hating Smith after his headshot in one preseason game. So NO, I would never ever love Marchand. Weak argument.

Also, let's not even talk about how you even try to compare Larkin to a player like Marchand, just wow. If Larkin is dirty AF, then what is Marchand? A cold blooded killer who happened to miss all of his targets up until now?

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Nice try with that. You think I was a fan of Avery or Hatcher? And I was following Phoenix too during the Tippett era and I certainly didn't start liking Raffi Torres. I'm lucky the Wings never truly had any dirty players (as far as I can remember), but I will say that I started hating Smith after his headshot in one preseason game. So NO, I would never ever love Marchand. Weak argument.

Also, let's not even talk about how you even try to compare Larkin to a player like Marchand, just wow. If Larkin is dirty AF, then what is Marchand? A cold blooded killer who happened to miss all of his targets up until now?

sure lets go ahead and pretend that 99% of Wings fans wouldn't have loved Sean Avery if he was a career Wing that peaked as a 100 point guy

we'd be talking about whether we should retire his number about now

Reactions: Lil Bert

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004

Non existent?

Suspended:
2 games for elbowing
5 games for a low bridge (Salo suffered a concussion)
2 games for slew-footing
3 games for clipping
2 games for spearing
5 games for elbowing (Johansson suffered a concussion)

Fined:
slew footing
roughing
tripping
diving
cross-checking

Playing like the Marchand who scores 100 points, great. Playing like the rat who has cheapshotted players throughout his career, no thanks.

Realgud

Nov 4, 2013
sure lets go ahead and pretend that 99% of Wings fans wouldn't have loved Sean Avery if he was a career Wing that peaked as a 100 point guy

we'd be talking about whether we should retire his number about now

Ok fine. You know what? Players like Marchand who are dirty af and can put up elite numbers are super rare, so ofc we have never had someone like him on the Wings, so I can't say with certainty how much I would hate him if he was on our team. The examples I have aren't elite scorers, sure. But you have just as much as an argument as me in saying we'd all love him and want his number retired. In complete honesty, I'd certainly love having such a player on our team, but I would most certainly hate the person and hope he could be traded for a more respectable player who has a similar production. Also, I know these kinds of players are also annoying to their teammates, I know I got really mad at one of my teammate before because he couldn't stop being dirty. That's also why I've been against trading (and overpaying) for Trouba or Krug (rumor). Both are very talented but they rub me the wrong way and would hope we would keep our assets and develop and our defensemen and keep building chemistry within the organization.

And yeah, I just saw your sarcastic post above. So I guess Marchand isn't even dirty to you, right? A question for you: Who can you possibly think is dirtier than him in today's NHL?

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004

Trying to equate Larkin with Marchand is as desperate as it is hilarious.

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

Nov 2, 2018

Were you a fan of Chelios? McCarty? Kocur? Probert?

I didn't compare Larkin to Marchand, I said Larkin is dirty. Larkins dirty plays lead to him getting into the fight that put him out for a few weeks at the end of the year.

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

Nov 2, 2018
I've been on record saying that I would take Marchand on the Wings, and I'm a big fan of Marchand the hockey player. Don't know what you're trying to prove in that respect.

You know what every single hockey player does in every single game? Slashes and crosschecks. You know what every player doesn't do? Slewfoot, elbow, knee, target the head, spear, take out knees. Go find me a single example of Dylan Larkin doing anything in this video. I won't wait for a response because I don't have forever.

Just because I like the player, doesn't mean I like the antics.

Just open up your eyes and watch a game next season, you'll see it.. promise.

Realgud

Nov 4, 2013
Were you a fan of Chelios? McCarty? Kocur? Probert?

I didn't compare Larkin to Marchand, I said Larkin is dirty. Larkins dirty plays lead to him getting into the fight that put him out for a few weeks at the end of the year.

All 4 are a little before my time. But no I wasn't a fan of Chelios, and I don't see what's wrong with McCarty? I don't recall him being dirty in any way.

I don't know man, Marchand is in a different plane of existence when it comes to dirty and disrespectful hockey vs players like Larkin and Bertuzzi. I don't even understand how you can even come close to that conclusion. Look, that's fine, you can like Marchand and not care too much about if they are dirty or not, more power to you. But I feel like you don't really grasp how dirty Marchand is.

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

Nov 2, 2018
All 4 are a little before my time.

But I feel like you don't really grasp how dirty Marchand is.

Not trying to gatekeep you here bud, but if you don't remember late 80's early 90's hockey, how can you claim I don't grasp Marchands play? I just remember when his antics were normal. (Not that I want the game to go back to that)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->