Speculation: According to Mirtle/Siegel Leafs were trying the sign Derek Ryan on July 1st.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Source: the Athletic Podcast ("In Tavares We Trust")

According to Mirtle, Derek Ryan might have been signed if TOR didn't land Tavares.

CGY signed him for 3 years 3.125 million a year and he might have been "signed for more in Toronto".

They also mentioned De Haan as another UFA they were going after.

Even though it didn't happen this raises several questions:

1. Ryan no doubt would have played 3C for TOR. Does this finally lay to rest this idea that Nylander is going to be a Center for TOR?

2. If Tavares didn't pan out, the leafs would have had extra money to push harder to sign De Haan. If they signed him that obviously means Gardiner is on the trade block. Is he still on the trade block? Dubas obviously feels a need to improve the defense. Does he move Gardiner to explore upgrades on the right hand side?

3. What does Derek Ryan bring to TOR? We obviously become so much better with Tavares and not Ryan.

What do you think?

Reactions: firstemperor

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
I think Dubas is about asset management, and if he can get quality players for FREE at an affordable cap hit, it means that he can move guys out to fill positions of need and be ahead of the game.

Signing De Haan would have likely made Gardiner expendable which would likely land us a top 4 RHD or the assets to get one.

As for the rumored Ryan signing, Babcock likely wants to keep Matthews and Nylander together.

Reactions: ninetyone

Stacker29

Feb 17, 2015

It means if we didn't get Tavares we were trying to get Derek Ryan.

It also means we had interest in Calvin DeHaan, likely in a scenario where we didn't give a centreman $11,000,000.

I don't think the fact that we were interested in two players raises a single question...I'm actually still confused about what's happening in this thread...

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I think CDH didn't sign here because the Leafs weren't offering the term the Canes were offering, probably less about the AAV.

Ryan would have been centre depth, and Nylander likely would have been tried at the #3C spot as well for the best fit. Ryan would have been a suspect #3C heading into the season.

The two don't really have a connection.

Reactions: Pi

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
If they struck out on Tavares and Ryan, then perhaps Nylander to C was a next option. Familiarity with coach Peters might've been a plus with Ryan too. Ryan isn't Tavares, but that was the reality of this UFA centre crop. Could also add Bozak as a possibility, not sure about Stastny.

de Haan would've been a good signing, but it's tough to say where the bidding would had to have gone to for him to be a Leaf. Believe there was a report previously of discussion with Gardiner's agent, so that doesn't sound like a player soon to be on the outs.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
No speculation about de Haan and what that means?

So...we are trading Dermott then? Rielly?

Not Gardiner huh?

So why did TOR go after de Haan?

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I think CDH didn't sign here because the Leafs weren't offering the term the Canes were offering, probably less about the AAV.

Ryan would have been centre depth, and Nylander likely would have been tried at the #3C spot as well for the best fit. Ryan would have been a suspect #3C heading into the season.

The two don't really have a connection.

I disagree because you don't pay Ryan 3.125 mill a year for 3 years to play 4th line C. Even if you're Calgary you don't pay that. TOR was supposedly going to offer him more. So you put Nylander at 3C and pay Ryan over 3.125 mill for 3 years at 4th line C?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
It was reported before July 1 that the Leafs were interested in Ryan.

De Haan was well documented as wel

Reactions: Trawna Phan

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Leafs could have signed Dehaan, but doubt they wanted to commit to that cap hit and that term.

Centers if we missed in Tavares would have been:

Matthews
Nylander
Kadri
Ryan

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Leafs could have signed Dehaan, but doubt they wanted to commit to that cap hit and that term.

Centers if we missed in Tavares would have been:

Matthews
Nylander
Kadri
Ryan

Supposedly TOR was going to offer more than CGY. So you pay our 4th line C over 3.125 million?!

Paladin2799

Jul 15, 2009
Supposedly TOR was going to offer more than CGY. So you pay our 4th line C over 3.125 million?!
Maybe the intention was to move Kadri up to top6 wing and move Hyman down to 3rd line?

Kadri-Tavares-Marner
Marleau-Matthews-Nylander

Thats pretty sexy to me.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Ryan would have been a great #4C / passable #3C.

I doubt the Leafs were in on him as more than a #4C though, tbh, who could play #3C in a pinch.

Reactions: Menzinger

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Would have been likely the best (which unfortunately isn’t saying much) option if the Leafs hadnt gotten JT. Cheap depth C, and likely could have helped the team shelter/ease Nylander into the role.

No speculation about de Haan and what that means?

So...we are trading Dermott then? Rielly?

Not Gardiner huh?

So why did TOR go after de Haan?

Getting him would make a potential Gardiner trade an easier option.

Reactions: heybuddyhowyadoing

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Maybe the intention was to move Kadri up to top6 wing and move Hyman down to 3rd line?

Kadri-Tavares-Marner
Marleau-Matthews-Nylander

Thats pretty sexy to me.

Let's fulfill this fantasy:

Kadri Tavares Matthews
Marleau Nylander Marner
Gardiner Brooks Kapanen
Grundstrom Ennis Brown

Rielly Liljegren
Johnsson Dermott
Sandin Carrick

Andersen
Sparks

:sarcasm:

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I disagree because you don't pay Ryan 3.125 mill a year for 3 years to play 4th line C. Even if you're Calgary you don't pay that. TOR was supposedly going to offer him more. So you put Nylander at 3C and pay Ryan over 3.125 mill for 3 years at 4th line C?

Well he's quality depth and the Leafs would have had to pay that in the market. Likely he would have been a safety net/competition for Nylander, in case there are struggles.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
It's not just about creating a nice roster when everybody is healthy, it's also about making sure that you can handle injuries in different parts of your lineup without being left without answers. We were always getting another center, even if the plan had been to have Nylander take Bozak's spot. If we hadn't, we would have had zero real options in case one of our top three centers got injured.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad