Accessibility for all. Sharks offering sensory kits for games

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera

SAP Center, actually, not just Sharks games.

Have an autistic child and the sound is too loud, they have headphones. lights too bright? They've got sunglasses.

Nice to help accommodate all fans.

(As someone who had issues climbing to my STH nose bleed seats after pneumonia, I was reseated in lower bowl with much fewer stairs to climb. )

Kudos to them for doing this. A fantastic service so more people can enjoy games

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I know a few other arenas do this - PNC Arena, for instance, partnered with KultureCity to offer sensory inclusive kits, weighted lap pads, and photosensitivity glasses as well as furnishing a designated quiet room. Good for the Sharks! Having a few friends on the spectrum, it's good to know that if they want or desire to go out to a game they have options to accommodate their needs!

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Great story of Autistic 8 year old attending DRW game. LCA recently certified, with sensory inclusive kits and personnel training. (He eschewed wearing noise cancelling headphone)

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
call me a dinosaur, but I pine for the days when one isn't blasted in every direction by noise and flashy lights every time a puck is frozen

nice move by the Sharks

Reactions: Irish Blues

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
call me a dinosaur, but I pine for the days when one isn't blasted in every direction by noise and flashy lights every time a puck is frozen

nice move by the Sharks

Not a dinosaur. The lights don't bother me, but the music is definitely too loud in a lot of venues. You can barely talk to the person next to you without being right next to their ear or raising your voice. I kind of get why arenas do it, to get people pumped, but it's a bit excessive at some places.

Baseball games it's not near as bad, as it's a much larger area that the noise fills up, and if it is open space it's much easier for the noise to escape. But an NBA or NHL venue, there's nowhere for the noise to go.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I've gotten to the point that I have ear plugs with me when I go to games. Took my sister to a recent VGK game and she availed herself of those ear plugs due to volume.

Randy Marsh

Aug 20, 2012
I've gotten to the point that I have ear plugs with me when I go to games. Took my sister to a recent VGK game and she availed herself of those ear plugs due to volume.

When I am watching a Flames game, I notice that before a power play, there are these obnoxious red lights flashing all over the arena. I can only imagine how overbearing this is in person.

I am convinced that people in charge of some game presentations are 14 years old, hopped up on adderall, and under the impression that every paying customer is the same way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad