Speculation: AC Jack Capuano

6stringmofo

Mar 12, 2015
Ottawa
Just gonna throw this at the wall and see what happens.

Is DJ Smith the problem in Ottawa?

Jack Capuano IS the defensive coach, wouldn't the defensive system fall under him?

We've seen year after year the Senators be a complete mess in the D Zone.

Reactions: Senovision

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
DJ is the head coach and probably is held fully accountable by the POHO and GM for the coaching strategy and tactics, including those implemented by his assistant coaches.

If Capuano was determined to be the issue, then he could be replaced. If DJ agrees with Capuano's approach, then both DJ and Capuano might be dismissed if the POHO and GM felt it was necessary.

So far, no dismissals have occurred. If the team does not make the playoffs then I suspect changes will be made in the coaching staff and GM positions. Other changes could happen too as Staios conducts his review of the organization under him. He has an opportunity to make changes if he deems them necessary. If he chooses not to do so, that is on him.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Just gonna throw this at the wall and see what happens.

Is DJ Smith the problem in Ottawa?

Jack Capuano IS the defensive coach, wouldn't the defensive system fall under him?

We've seen year after year the Senators be a complete mess in the D Zone.

My guess is that Capuano handles the D on the bench and for line changes and for coaching up the Dmen in game. I have seen nothing that says he is responsible for Dzone dystems which include the forwards. He likely has some input into the systems. But the systems would include situations with the puck , without the puck, and faceoffs and are intertwined with transitioning from defense to offense . His role appears to be to handle the Dmen in all zones vs the team defensive structure in 3 zones. I'm sure he doesn't unilaterally decide on who is going on the next shift or how the pairs are assembled.

Reactions: DrEasy

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
My guess is that if DJ gets fired they have the replacement in Capuano which should drive fans even crazier. :laugh:

Reactions: AchtzehnBaby

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
DJ should be able to have full say over his staff. If Caps isn't aligned to his coaching style DJ just needs to let the GM/POHO know and the guy will get replaced, same way if PD isn't happy with DJ.

Now keeping those under you and not delivering becomes a reflection of you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad