About to buy new skates. Need some recommendations.

Biggzy*

So I decided to buy some new skates. Unfortunately I live in Miami and the closest hockey shop is about an hour away from me so I'm just going to buy them online.

I'm debating between:

Eastons (S12) - Never tried a pair of Easton skates.

Bauer Vapors
- Not sure which ones to get. I currently have the vapors but the cheap ones. They were only like $100. But I'm not sure of the model.

Bauer One75 - A bit pricey but I want to get something of good quality. Those One95's look pretty sick but I'm not spending $650.

So does anyone have any recommendations? I'd wanna spending between $200-$350, give or take a bit.

Oh, I also get lace bite pretty bad as I mentioned in another thread. Hoping a new pair of skates will at least help with that somewhat.

Thanks.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
So I decided to buy some new skates. Unfortunately I live in Miami and the closest hockey shop is about an hour away from me so I'm just going to buy them online.

I'm debating between:

Eastons (S12) - Never tried a pair of Easton skates.

Bauer Vapors
- Not sure which ones to get. I currently have the vapors but the cheap ones. They were only like $100. But I'm not sure of the model.

Bauer One75 - A bit pricey but I want to get something of good quality. Those One95's look pretty sick but I'm not spending $650.

So does anyone have any recommendations? I'd wanna spending between $200-$350, give or take a bit.

Oh, I also get lace bite pretty bad as I mentioned in another thread. Hoping a new pair of skates will at least help with that somewhat.

Thanks.

If the One75s fit your feet, try them out. For the price, they're pretty good, considering they're basically the old One90s, which were a top-of-the-line skate at one point. If you want to spend a wee bit more, try the Vapor XXXXs (different fit). They're $399, but 2 months ago they were like $549 and the price has dropped because of the X:60s coming out. Otherwise, take a look at the Vapor XXV. Definitely in your price range and a good skate.

rinkrat22

Jul 27, 2007
Chicago
just bought vapor xxxx's for 299 from hockey giant. played in grafs for the last 5-6 years so its a big change. Just could not afford another set of grafs. I am liking the 40's so far.

Biggzy*

it's worth the drive to see what fits. 1 hour in a car or years in an uncomfortable skate?

They'll let you return them at most sites as long as you don't use them.

I really like how the Eastons look but don't know how they compare to the Bauers which I've always used.

Anthrax Jones

Feb 26, 2009
it's worth the drive to see what fits. 1 hour in a car or years in an uncomfortable skate?

You'll spend more money on shipping (and potential return shipping) than you would on gas money to get to the store.

Can't emphasize enough just how important it is to be 100% happy and comfortable with your skates. If it's not worth driving an hour to try on a few different pairs, then I don't know what else to tell you. Good luck.

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA

I really like how the Eastons look but don't know how they compare to the Bauers which I've always used.

What about baking and sharpening? Might have to go to the store for one of them anyway.

Online shops are great if you know exactly what you want. Going blind on it is always a gamble.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
I'd stick in the Bauers if I were you. Never been a fan of Easton skates and I'm definitely not a fan of switching my setup. If you're already in Vapors and someone says you can get a pair of XXXXs for $299 and not the $399 that I thought, than do yourself a favor and pick up the XXXXs for $299. They were a top of the line skate 6 months ago and I've been skating in them for the past 14 months. I just bought X:60s on Thursday. They're great skates.

Biggzy*

I'd stick in the Bauers if I were you. Never been a fan of Easton skates and I'm definitely not a fan of switching my setup. If you're already in Vapors and someone says you can get a pair of XXXXs for $299 and not the $399 that I thought, than do yourself a favor and pick up the XXXXs for $299. They were a top of the line skate 6 months ago and I've been skating in them for the past 14 months. I just bought X:60s on Thursday. They're great skates.

Thanks I think I'll do that. Have you ever had lace bite?

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
In my XXXX's? Not very badly. They have an extra pad on the top of the tongue to prevent it. The X:60s improve on this, but I found my XXXXs to be extremely comfortable at all times until about 2 weeks ago when I decided the arch had completely given out and my feet started to kill me. Never really had a problem with lace bite at all though, and I used to in my CCM Vectors and Easton Ultra Lights.

LilWinger11

Aug 27, 2006
Connecticut

I don't know about you, but there's no way I'd be able to tell if I was 100% sold on a skate without skating in it.

Have you been happy with the Bauers generally? If going to a pro shop and trying on some other brands isn't an option, I'd stick with the brand where you're sure of your size and width.

ean

Nov 27, 2007

Don't be stupid. Go to the nearest pro shop.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
I don't know about you, but there's no way I'd be able to tell if I was 100% sold on a skate without skating in it.

Well than how do you buy skates? Because even when you go to the proshop to make sure you like the fit, there's no way you're skating in anything you haven't already paid for, meaning whatever skate you buy you're sold on without skating in. Unless you just buy the same model over and over again. You know you're not returning them after you skate in them, so I'm just wondering how you have purchased skates in the past.

frito

Jan 27, 2007
Cincinnati

Don't focus on how they look. It's how they feel and perform that's important.

As a previous poster metnioned, if you buy online you'll have to pay xtra at the pro shop to sharpen and bake the skates. More often than not, a pro shop will throw in the baking a sharpening for free if you buy them there.

You also ask where we get our skates. I have two girls, one of which can only wear female specific skates. Mission is the only manufacturer who makes such an animal and they are being discontinued since Bauer bought them. Out of desperatoin I bought them online, two pair actiually so she has a pair in which to grow. I had to pay an extra $25 or so at the local pro shop I trust to bake and sharpen them. I also bought skates online for my younger daughter but that is just because the inventories at our local pro shops were picked clean. She needed new skates NOW for evaluations so I couldn't wait until they stocked up for the season.

I personally would love to try a pair of Grafs biut there is virutally no selection here locally. Since they have different models to cater to different type of feet, I won't buy them without being able to try them on.

Sorry for being long winded. I guess what I'm trying to say is the best idea is to make the treck to your pro shop. Make sure you leave early enough to allow for ample time to try on all makes and models. Figure a minimum of an hour just to find the skate you like. Bank on another hour to bake them and get them properly sharpened (initial sharpening will take longer than a re-sharpening).

Jul 31, 2005
CA
I just got a pair of the XXXX's and I like then coming from an Easton 1500C. I'd also try on the Easton SE16 which can be bought for $300 or the CCM Vector U+Pro for the same price. I agree with the other posters, make yourself a good playlist on your Ipod and make the drive, you live in a beautiful part of the country, get out of the house, get off the computer and take a look around. I fit in Easton skates perfectly without baking them, I tried on the One95's and they hurt, I bought a pair of XXXX's in a 8.5EE (coming from an Easton 8R). That just shows you the random sizing and fit of all the skates. I wanted the One95's, they were on sale for $500 but they just don't fit my feet. Skates are probably the most important part of hockey equipment you buy, put in the time and effort and go to the store and give the delivery guy some time off, believe me we need it.

Hockeyfan68

Dec 24, 2006
Lewiston, ME USA
www.myspace.com
The most important thing is fit and a half decent quality skate. I would recommend trying to pay a little more for a better model of skate.

I bought a pair of bauer Vapors from 2002 at a closeout price of $100, the skate sold for $300 in 2002.

I am thrilled with them, they fit, are comfy, are protective against puck shots and most importantly are very stiff in tight turns for great energy transfer.

Buy what YOU are satisfied with and not what the "I have to have a top of the line $650 skate or else I am unhappy" guys do.

YOU will be playing in them and YOU will have to like them so be sure you get what you want. if you want a $600 skate then save your money instead of settling for a mid priced skate for $250-$300

I'm happy with what I bought and that is all I care about. They fit nicely and are very very comfortable and stiff as well for good performance.

Don't be ashamed to buy a skate from previous years, you can find $600 skates from 4 years ago for $200 to $300 so why not?

As for buying them with limited stores to choose from .... buy online if they accept returns and if they do read their small print closely first. As mentioned here already they will accept a return if you have not worn them in a game.

Be wary of buying a closeout skate to save money online .... sure you can find a $600 skate for $300 that are 2 years old but you need to know most closeout sales are final and returns will not be accepted.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad