About the defense ...

GoCanes2013

May 7, 2009
Raleigh
While I'm being an obnoxious contrarian: seriously, Harrison and Murphy have blown so far:
http://www.extraskater.com/players/on-ice?pos=D&team=car
I probably don't need to tell you guys that Muller's giving them the easiest minutes he can. Well, it's not enough. Not sure if it's Murphy or Harrison or both, but that pairing is going to lose us a game or two.

Holy Over-reaction after 2 games! Ryan Suter has a CF of 41% and a CF rel of -19.1% - should Nashville waive him?

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Holy Over-reaction after 2 games! Ryan Suter has a CF of 41% and a CF rel of -19.1% - should Nashville waive him?

1) Ryan Suter is an established NHL All-Star, while Harrison and Murphy are not.

2) I'd be impressed if Nashville could find a loophole in the CBA such that they could waive Ryan Suter.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
So basically we overrated Gleason because he's all we had. So what exactly are we doing with our current D which has 1 win and 1 blown 2 goal lead under their belts through two games?

FlyingSquirrels

Jul 5, 2011
So basically we overrated Gleason because he's all we had. So what exactly are we doing with our current D which has 1 win and 1 blown 2 goal lead under their belts through two games?

Our D has look superb thru 2 games. Should we say they suck? Or what would like us to say?? I see what I see. I don't give a dam about last year or tomorrow. But up to now they look better.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008

Normally, you do a great job of cutting through the clutter and delivering a decent summation of the discussion. But this time, I think you're being intentionally difficult.

We've got three points in two games against teams that can generally spot us 2-3 goals and still beat the snot out of us. And our defense has been fantastic in both games. We've allowed 4 total goals in over 120 minutes putting the team goals against under 2.00, and if not for a pulled goalie situation against six of the most talented players in the NHL, we'd be 2-0-0 with three goals against.

Yes, it's a very small sample size. But what I see is a massive upgrade in hockey IQ on the back end and that's not the kind of thing that has slumps. I'm trying to give JR some credit here for a nice, on-the-fly rebuild of the defense, and I'm wondering out loud if adding Gleason's hockey IQ to the mix will hurt the average enough to cost us games. That's all.

La Huracanista

Nov 28, 2009
Raleigh

No. It's obviously a small sample size. People were saying they thought Harrison and Murphy looked good in these first two games, when honestly they have had a crappy two games (minus the goal). I was using the numbers to back up my personal eye test a little bit: all I saw from those two was them playing monkey in the middle in our zone. So I don't know why people are so high on them/low on Gleason. Gleason's going to be a solid addition to a defense that could use all the depth it can get.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I don't care what the stats say. Murphy's been noticeable (in a good way) in both games and Harrison's been invisible (in a good way), excluding the goal of course.

I'll take watching the games over stat watching everytime.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Normally, you do a great job of cutting through the clutter and delivering a decent summation of the discussion. But this time, I think you're being intentionally difficult.

We've got three points in two games against teams that can generally spot us 2-3 goals and still beat the snot out of us. And our defense has been fantastic in both games. We've allowed 4 total goals in over 120 minutes putting the team goals against under 2.00, and if not for a pulled goalie situation against six of the most talented players in the NHL, we'd be 2-0-0 with three goals against.

Yes, it's a very small sample size. But what I see is a massive upgrade in hockey IQ on the back end and that's not the kind of thing that has slumps. I'm trying to give JR some credit here for a nice, on-the-fly rebuild of the defense, and I'm wondering out loud if adding Gleason's hockey IQ to the mix will hurt the average enough to cost us games. That's all.

The D is obviously better through 2 games. I just don't agree with the premise that it's better because Gleason is out. It's better because they shed 3 terrible defenseman in the offseason. As low as you think Gleason's hockey IQ is, it's higher than at least Corvo and Sngs combined. I've said repeatedly the D would be better and I think it is.

Kev I know your thoughts on Gleason, most of us do. He is not what we hoped he was. He shouldn't be THE GUY to shut down the other team. If they try to bring him back and make him that guy it would be a mistake. But to act like he isn't as useful as Harrison or Bellemore is just too much.

Edit: I think my original comment wasn't all that constructive. Simplified the discussion way too much.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
Likewise, I think the proposal of throwing Gleason out of the top-6 defensemen is an intentionally inflammatory idea...if we're going to call a spade a spade, here.

How competent would Gleason look if he were in the third pairing? We have no idea, because it's never happened. I like Jay Harrison, and I'm glad he's on the team, but I'd put Gleason in his spot alongside Murphy, regardless of salary hierarchy. EDIT: if Bellemore isn't sent down, and if they don't run with 7 D, that is.

Last edited:

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
IMO there's almost no way they don't run 7 defensemen. Ease Ruutu in on the 4th line, run 7 defensemen, double shift pretty much anyone down there and you've got a pretty solid team.

Lazyking

Never Forget
Oct 15, 2011
Connecticut
I missed the Philly game but I was pleasantly surprised about Sekara. I didn't know what to expect.. Faulk has been great. I watched Hainsey alot with the jets, a solid dmen.

Murphy looks to be the most talented dman we've drafted in a long time.

I don't really have many thoughts on Bellemore and Harrison. I think Gleason could do either spot and do just as good.

Frank Booth239*

I find the Gleason hating to be astonishing. It reminds me of the Pitkanen hate that was going on before his injury.

He's the only guy on a soft team that has any grit and toughness. You've got to be kidding me. I mean the hardest check thrown during the Philly game was by Murphy. Rather than focusing on all kinds of contrived statistics, you can see what he brings to the table on a nightly basis. Not saying he hasn't had some bad games, but let's get real.

Very impressed with Sekera and Hainsey, though. And I really like Murphy's moves when he's out skating with the puck...which is why I still think they should go ahead and slot him as a forward.

I liked Lindholm's play as well. Hopefully he keeps improving and they can safely slot him on the 3rd line.

jeromeo87

Jul 23, 2010
The main difference is that the Gleason hate is completely warranted while the Pitkanen hate was downright baffling.

Yes, and no.

Gleason is a good player. In a trade, he would probably bring back a pretty decent return, and rightfully so. My only thing about him coming back is I have been pretty darn impressed with our defense. Is that only because this defense has been better than expected? Meaning, could it really be much better? Do I worry about bringing Gleason in because Bellemore has looked better than expected? Would Gleason be better? If Gleason would be a lot better than Bellemore, and if bringing in Gleason makes this defense much better, Gleason should be played, and Bellemore should be scratched. Maybe I've just blown up how good this defense is in my head because they have been better than expected.

Pitkanen on the other hand is an interesting story. I was once a part of the Pitkanen bashing; however, I think I was wrong in doing so. No doubt Pitkanen was a part of some very questionable defensive plays in Carolina. But I really do think that may have been a part of who Pitkanen was paired with.

Aaron Ward was at the end of his game; I really do think Pitkanen was held back by him.

I HATED the Pitkanen-McBain pairing from day one. I DO NOT like the idea of 2 very offensive-minded dmen paired together. It doesn't work, and it certainly didn't work with them.

I'm not sure what happened with the a Pitkanen-Gleason pairing.. Maybe Gleason struggles on the right side? Just no chemistry?

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
1-0-1 Rah! Rah! Sis Boom Bah! Defense rules!

2-4-2 Defense sucks! Where's Gleason? Fire JR! Make a trade!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad