? about Composite sticks

CapsChemist

Mar 26, 2006
State College
I tried searching the forum but couldn't find the info i was looking for, so here it goes.

My Synergy SL is chipping and splitting down the bottom of the blade and its really bad. I play on smooth asphalt surface and indoor surfaces. I cant return it because i don't have the receipt, the stick was just given to me by a friend.

Today a player told me that you can actually cut the one piece composites and replace the blades! Does anyone know if its true before i take the saw to it?

I hope this is true because its a shame to throw such a nice stick away.

PMP5030

Apr 25, 2004
RIGHT BEHIND YOU
Sure you can. It depends on the stick though, some of the "one-pieces" are bonded at the blade so when you cut off the blade it's solid on the end and you have to flip it around and insert a new blade in what was formerly the top end.

It works better if you can put the new blade in the same end, as it keeps the kickpoint properties of the stick somewhat intact. But putting a new blade in the top end should work just fine for what you're using it for. I wouldn't recommend it for a high-level ice player.

vexXed

Oct 23, 2005
Hong Kong
I have the same stick, and I gotta say the durability was pretty poor for a composite at that price... Mind you, it was nice nonetheless.

You can cut the blade off but the synergy sl is tapered so if you cut it off then your new blade would not fit. What you should do is flip it over so that you stick the new blade where you normally put the butt end instead. This normally results in a shorter stick than wanted, but if you cut the blade off not by cutting off the shaft in the process, but straight down in line with the shaft, then it can help to lengthen the stick.

TBLfan

Nov 25, 2005
Tampa, FL
tblfan.wordpress.com
it will roughly need to be cut around the easton "E" logo for tapered blades but you can start at the fuse point and then cut little by little OR heat up the shaft and chip out the fused in hosel. The easier way is to cut off the blade and flip it.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

I have problems like that too. My Synergy is getting disgusting on the bottom from playing asphault.

Tape it. Replace the tape alot.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
Break out the woody for asphalt games. Think of it like in little league when the coach made you use a wood bat-if you can develop a good shot on asphalt with a cheap wood stick then when you get to the big boys on ice you'll have a laser or a cannon. I prefer the laser.

Killiecrankie*

Problem with inserting a blade into the back end for me is it screws up the flex badly. I love like 100 flex, I need my sticks to bend, and when I reuse the composite it messes it up. I love shooting with a composite but I just stick to wood. Sure it doesnt look kool, but wood sticks are still better overall, especially for feel and handling.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad