Abid or Sejna?

Status
Not open for further replies.

balddog66

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
I'll likely be the only one to say this, but in terms of trade value I'd take Sejna, people seem to be high on him, but I think long term Abid will be better.
He's been an outstanding offensive player whereever he's played...
Sejna I think will be a bust, simply based on the fact that he's getting all his hype from putting up 2 points per game in NCAA when he's 24-25 years old...Abid was doing this in the QMJHL when he was 19.

degroat*

balddog66 said:
I'll likely be the only one to say this, but in terms of trade value I'd take Sejna, people seem to be high on him, but I think long term Abid will be better.
He's been an outstanding offensive player whereever he's played...
Sejna I think will be a bust, simply based on the fact that he's getting all his hype from putting up 2 points per game in NCAA when he's 24-25 years old...Abid was doing this in the QMJHL when he was 19.

Not true. In the offseason he was getting most of the hype because of his one game last year. While it was only one game he showed that he is not out of place in the NHL in that one game (and it didn't hurt that he made Roy look very average on his goal, a goal that Roy called "more than just any old goal"). The hype is greater now because of his performance thus far in the preseason. He was amazing in the 4 day camp tournament the Blues held and has been great so far in the preseason games. He has all but been offcially announced as Doug Weight's left wing because he has been that good.

JasonMacIsaac

Damn, these guys are almost equal IMO, Sejna gets the nod by about 5 points.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Sejna is hyped as hell, and it's hard to determine if the hype is worth it.
Until we see what he can do, it's hard to answer this question.
Abid is a sllid offensive player and has a high power forward potential, but his skating will always hurt him.
Sejna is as of right now IMO a question mark.
Until I see him on a longer scale, I won't be able to give you a definite answer.

JasonMacIsaac

He won't be a question mark when he is playing with Weight, everyone can score if they play with him.

todddgalbraith

Sep 24, 2003
Cornwall
Visit site
Sejna vs Abid

I personally think Sejna would have the greater upside at this point. Having seen Abid play for the past few years I think he could become a valuable player to the Penguins or wherever he winds up IF he stays healthy. Ramzi has not shown that he can play many games in a year thus his offensive output is not great. We have no idea of what Sejna can do but many scouts believe he is the real deal. He has on offensive flair that could blossom with the right players and early confidence. Its an amazing feat to win the Hobey Baker but it does not mean a whole lot in the NHL. Chris Drury was a Hobey Baker winner, too....... He's good but not the so called "superstar" that many thought he could be.......Although I wish he were on the Flyers........

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
Chris Drury is actually a great example of a Hobey Baker winner parlaying that into an NHL career.

Look at some others...

1981 Neal Broten
1982 George McPhee
1983 Mark Fusco
1984 Tom Kurvers
1985 Bill Watson
1986 Scott Fusco
1987 Tony Hrkac
1988 Robb Stauber (G)
1989 Lane MacDonald
1990 Kip Miller
1991 David Emma
1992 Scott Pellerin
1993 Paul Kariya
1994 Chris Marinucci
1995 Brian Holzinger
1996 Brian Bonin
1997 Brendan Morrison
1998 Chris Drury
1999 Jason Krog
2000 Mike Mottau
2001 Ryan Miller (G)
2002 Jordan Leopold
2003 Peter Sejna

TeamPlayer

Jan 11, 2003
I'd take sejna, in a year when Mario retires, the whole penguin organization will have trouble scoring a goal, let alone have Abid doing all of their damage.

Sejna has a better supporting cast.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
For a fantasy purposes its a no-brainer.. Peter Sejna.

Abid cannot stay healthy and that's not good for a physical style like he plays.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
tom_servo said:
Chris Drury is actually a great example of a Hobey Baker winner parlaying that into an NHL career.

Look at some others...

1981 Neal Broten
1982 George McPhee
1983 Mark Fusco
1984 Tom Kurvers
1985 Bill Watson
1986 Scott Fusco
1987 Tony Hrkac
1988 Robb Stauber (G)
1989 Lane MacDonald
1990 Kip Miller
1991 David Emma
1992 Scott Pellerin
1993 Paul Kariya
1994 Chris Marinucci
1995 Brian Holzinger
1996 Brian Bonin
1997 Brendan Morrison
1998 Chris Drury
1999 Jason Krog
2000 Mike Mottau
2001 Ryan Miller (G)
2002 Jordan Leopold
2003 Peter Sejna

The thing is, really only three of those players: Kariya, Morrison and Drury, have developed into good NHL players, at least of winners since my birth.

While I probbaly would pick Sejna anyways, I think if Sejna was born in like, Flin Flon Manitoba, he would not be as hyped as he is now. I think the fact that he is a european, has worked to his advantage in terms of hype (and probably finances).

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Hossa said:
The thing is, really only three of those players: Kariya, Morrison and Drury, have developed into good NHL players, at least of winners since my birth.

While I probbaly would pick Sejna anyways, I think if Sejna was born in like, Flin Flon Manitoba, he would not be as hyped as he is now. I think the fact that he is a european, has worked to his advantage in terms of hype (and probably finances).

I don't know, flin flon worked pretty good for Bobby Clarke :p

AJ1982

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
Hossa said:
I think the fact that he is a european, has worked to his advantage in terms of hype (and probably finances).

I don't know. I'm not sure the fact he is European has anything to do with the hype surrounding him. Sejna was the most sought after NCAA free agent for two years before St. Louis finally nabbed him. Teams had seen him play and been excited by his combination of skills and hockey smarts since he first played in the NCAA. Not much about that can simply be attributed to the fact he is European. Anyhow, the hype surrounding Sejna may be a bit much, but his skill level is pretty high too.

Vancouver Kenucks

Sounds like Sejna is the way to go gmanpa....when are u taking?

Plager05

Mar 17, 2002
Sewers
Visit site
balddog66 said:

Lots of guys put up those kind of points in the Q and bust. Dan Corso anyone?

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Plager05 said:
Lots of guys put up those kind of points in the Q and bust. Dan Corso anyone?

Ok. But most of those little QMJHL scorers are, well, little guys. Examples include Simon Gamache, Pavel Rosa, Daniel Corso, Martin Menard, Christian Dube and so on and so forth.

Abid is 6'2. He's a power forward who lacks skating ability. He's a completely different type of players. Plus, there are some pretty good QMJHL grads in the NHL, like Hemsky, Richards and Gagne.

gmampa

Vancouver Kenucks said:
Sounds like Sejna is the way to go gmanpa....when are u taking?

Probably second round, if he's around. He seems good and I like the present/future payout potential as well, him playing with Douggie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->