Injury Report: Abdelkader Out 2-4 weeks

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Abdelkader is on pace for 29 points, do we think he's playing good otherwise? I know many people penciled him in for 40-45 points and close to 20 goals every year to justify his contract.
Unfortunately he was starting to play a lot better the last few games. Wouldn't take much to make that 29 point pace jump to a 40+ pace. He hasn't looked fully healthy this season though, a few weeks of rest could do him good.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Those deals were singed before the re-capture penalty was put in place. Nobody could predict that. Kronners deal was a real bargain back then.

All teams have players with "bad contracts". CHI fans hate Toews contract, but tolerate Kanes because he's a scoring machine... right now. That'll change when he slumps.

This is the Nu:NHL. Everyone has "bad contracts". Usually the "good contracts" (according to fans) are players playing above their cap hit and are on a short term deal (i.e, Vanek).

Sometimes when Wings are playing bad and everyone here are on negative (fire everybody and tank) kicks, I'll go read other teams boards, only to realize they hate their GM, scouts, players, equipment's manager, goalie coach and etc. as bad as most here do about the DRWs. Lol

Same story, different team.

It doesn't matter when the deals are signed, it's knowing that they're around now, what those guys are likely to give on a nightly basis, and for how long we'll have those deals on the books.

At some point there has to be a recognition that you're nearing critical mass in bad/questionable contracts and you have to start budgeting your cap and roster space to reflect that.

This isn't about blowing anything up or wanting people fired, and it's hyperbole to take it there.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
It doesn't matter when the deals are signed, it's knowing that they're around now, what those guys are likely to give on a nightly basis, and for how long we'll have those deals on the books.

At some point there has to be a recognition that you're nearing critical mass in bad/questionable contracts and you have to start budgeting your cap and roster space to reflect that.

This isn't about blowing anything up or wanting people fired, and it's hyperbole to take it there.

Every team in the NHL are in the same boat, though. Some have better ELC players to help hide the bad contracts/overpayment of other players.

The only real way around it is to let nearly every upcoming FA walk and replace with ELCs. FA, who are good players, are getting paid.

Every team has to budget cap and roster space. It's what Gary Bettman wanted. His vision is coming true. Read other teams boards, there isn't a team in the NHL where their fans don't criticize contracts. Most contracts look bad when the player isn't performing. Toews is just one example. And CHI fans are starting to get restless about it, too.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Nothing wrong with Kronny's deal. We had his peak years for a really, really good deal. This is the price later on.

Agreed. He was a contractual afterthought through all of his prime. Even now, at his worst, he still isn't more than $1M overpaid. He'd be getting some stupid deal on the market due to legacy and name alone otherwise, similar to what Kenny offered a nearly-disabled Jovocop.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Unfortunate he is hurt.

As for his contract, it's still awful and will continue to be awful. Gator was a product of Zetterberg and Datsyuk. Once Datsyuk left and Zetterberg got worse, 40 point Gator disappeared too.

Paying a player like Gator 4.25 million a year for the next seven years is the pinnacle of stupid.

Ennui

I like our team?
Aug 13, 2008
Living in the past
www.fsb.ru
If Danny Cleary were a tad younger and if it weren't entirely, appallingly evident to anyone with functioning eyeballs that his level of endurance and skill belongs nowhere near a serious professional hockey team, I have no doubt that ol' Kenny Kickingtires would have tried to sign him to Abdelkader term and salary.

You're not paying for ability, physicality or skill with the Abdelkader contract, you are paying for a nice story, locker-room presence and "leadership", whatever that entails these days.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
With a couple more injuries could lashoff see any significant time with the red wings? I notice he played an entire season a couple years back and he is only 26 yo too

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
With a couple more injuries could lashoff see any significant time with the red wings? I notice he played an entire season a couple years back and he is only 26 yo too

Lashoff is bad.

Probably gonna sit in the press box. If an actual spot opens up that doesn't involve keeping a seat in the press box warm, i would expect Russo to be called up over Lashoff.

Squirrel in the Hole

Be the best squirrel in the hole
Feb 18, 2004
Sydney
Just a thought: Abby seems to be a Torts kind of guy (judging from the World Cup). If the CBJ continue on the way they are and we're out of the playoff picture by the deadline, could there be a possible deal there? Like maybe for Jack Johnson (although it looks like he's averaging 21 minutes per night for them right now)?

ripham23232

Nov 6, 2013
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Just a thought: Abby seems to be a Torts kind of guy (judging from the World Cup). If the CBJ continue on the way they are and we're out of the playoff picture by the deadline, could there be a possible deal there? Like maybe for Jack Johnson (although it looks like he's averaging 21 minutes per night for them right now)?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Abdelkader have a full NMC until the 19-20 season? From then it's dependent on minutes/role, something like top 6 or 9 in TOI?

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
NTC it is. But yes, from 2020 to 2023 he may be traded if the Wings miss the playoffs or he isn't among the top 9 F in TOI.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington

I'd love to do that. Not happening though. Torts ain't long for that job. And Kenny doesn't trade vets. Especially ones from Michigan :cry:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad