Injury Report: Abdelkader Out 2-4 weeks

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Claim Boucher from the Devils? Warm body to keep around until we are more healthy?

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Abdelkader is on pace for 29 points, do we think he's playing good otherwise? I know many people penciled him in for 40-45 points and close to 20 goals every year to justify his contract.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Abdelkader is on pace for 29 points, do we think he's playing good otherwise? I know many people penciled him in for 40-45 points and close to 20 goals every year to justify his contract.

He is still much, much better than what we have left in GR at this point.

Nosek is my guess for the call

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Matt Lorito might be an option here. Martin Frk or Tomas Nosek are my guesses though.

Last year Nosek doesn't need waivers, and he's going 9 in 10. Him.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009

No forward is on pace to have a good year. This team may only have one 20-goal scorer at this rate.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
No forward is on pace to have a good year. This team may only have one 20-goal scorer at this rate.

I think this is why many of us get worried when we see these long term deals handed out to players who only perform when they're on a line with better players performing. 7 years of Abdelkader not doing well because he doesn't have linemates to carry him offensively is a worry.

It's still early, but I don't think this injury will hurt this team that much.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
I think this is why many of us get worried when we see these long term deals handed out to players who only perform when they're on a line with better players performing. 7 years of Abdelkader not doing well because he doesn't have linemates to carry him offensively is a worry.

It's still early, but I don't think this injury will hurt this team that much.

Common Heaton, Cheer up man.

We all know Abdelkader was signed too long. No one is really disagreeing with that. I mean his contract is only even remotely justified when he puts up 40-45 pts THIS year (for THIS year's contract)
Looks like Year 1 is going to be an "underperform" year for him.
Maybe that will happen for all 7 years.... maybe.

But you and I both know our team is a little soft, and Abby is not soft. He does provide our team with "something".

He will be gone for the next month, and we are all out of depth.

I think the fact they are going to "call someone up" is more a "man, looks like Miller is pretty much done with the red wings" to be an interesting idea.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Common Heaton, Cheer up man.

We all know Abdelkader was signed too long. No one is really disagreeing with that. I mean his contract is only even remotely justified when he puts up 40-45 pts THIS year (for THIS year's contract)
Looks like Year 1 is going to be an "underperform" year for him.
Maybe that will happen for all 7 years.... maybe.

But you and I both know our team is a little soft, and Abby is not soft. He does provide our team with "something".

He will be gone for the next month, and we are all out of depth.

I think the fact they are going to "call someone up" is more a "man, looks like Miller is pretty much done with the red wings" to be an interesting idea.

There is no cheering up based on the current state this team is in. I don't really care about 'toughness' when that doesn't translate to goals or assists. We could've signed someone for half his price tag to get the same 'toughness' that he brings.

Anyway, like others have said, bring up Nosek, play Miller, whatever, it all amounts to the same thing.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada

He was on pace for 15 goals, 130+ sogs, 193 hits. His Relative corsi for is slightly positive. He already has 2 PP goals (would project to match his career best). All of this is with him playing down the lineup and reduced minutes for most of the season.

He has been decent. Also his contract, while overpaid, represents less than 6% of the Salary cap.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Nosek probably comes up, but I wouldn't mind Frk. See if Frk can go out and run with a chance.

He was on pace for 15 goals, 130+ sogs, 193 hits. His Relative corsi for is slightly positive. He already has 2 PP goals (would project to match his career best). All of this is with him playing down the lineup and reduced minutes for most of the season.

He has been decent. Also his contract, while overpaid, represents less than 6% of the Salary cap.

Yeah, Helm's deal is a fraction of the cap by itself, too. So is Ericsson's. And Howard's. And Kronwall's. And Franzen's. etc.

We can afford to overpay a bit, regardless of the justification, if the rest of the lineup is in goodshape. Ours has a small lemming stampede of poor deals, though. At some point, even though it hurts, I think you have to rein it in a bit or you kill the short-medium term flexibility of the club.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Nothing wrong with Kronny's deal. We had his peak years for a really, really good deal. This is the price later on.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Nothing wrong with Kronny's deal. We had his peak years for a really, really good deal. This is the price later on.

It was a good deal, but it's not like we didn't know a drop in his play was coming. And knowing that, you have to take that into account when looking at handing out deals to everyone else. You could really say the same thing about Z's deal, Franzen's, etc. We got the good years out of them, and now we're paying the piper for it.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
They wouldn't suck so bad if the NHL didn't retroactively punish teams for using a valid loophole.

As for Abby, unfortunate. It's not so much that we lost Abby so much as we lost Abby while 6 other roster players are injured.

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
I really can't see it being Frk. Not when he'll most likely be in the press box the whole time he's up, which might not even be that long, depending how close AA is to coming back.

Frk has already been claimed once, and has to clear waivers when sent back down again. I don't think even Holland would risk that again.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
There is no cheering up based on the current state this team is in. I don't really care about 'toughness' when that doesn't translate to goals or assists. We could've signed someone for half his price tag to get the same 'toughness' that he brings.

Anyway, like others have said, bring up Nosek, play Miller, whatever, it all amounts to the same thing.

I said it before but I'm postitive Abdelkader has been injured the entire season. How many fights has he had? Zero. Skating back to the bench after each shift, he looks like ****. This is the 2nd time he's out for a week or two, something bigger is wrong.

I agree with your other post, I don't think this hurts the team in the least.

A deeper injury may be the only excuse but for now his contract is the worst of all. I expected a type of increase in effectiveness, leadership. He was made the new "alternate"... man he's a glaring example of the weakness within a slowly sinking team.

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast

Contract and birthright justifies role, duh.

On a positive note, he will have more night-night time for Ken Hollands grandchildren.

cut.jpg

I said it before but I'm postitive Abdelkader has been injured the entire season. How many fights has he had? Zero. Skating back to the bench after each shift, he looks like ****. This is the 2nd time he's out for a week or two, something bigger is wrong.

A deeper injury may be the only excuse but for now his contract is the worst of all. I expected a type of increase in effectiveness, leadership. He was made the new "alternate"... man he's a glaring example of the weakness within a slowly sinking team.

I was wondering the same.

The Wings obviously need guys like him (when he's playing abrasive), but the wheels could really fall off in a couple years. Not that Matt Martin wanted to play here, but he's on pace for almost 340 hits, half the point production, at almost 7 mins a game less TOI, with a contract that takes him to 31 years old... for 42% less. I respect the flexibility Abby brings, going a bit beyond plugging top 6 and special teams holes, but I don't know if his blend is better than a cheaper guy that plays stronger in the bottom end.

This contract wouldn't be nearly as bad if there weren't so many bad contracts already. 3 years at $5 and change would be far better, but the existing contract mess wouldn't permit that. What really sucks is that Holland will have to keep kicking the can with Larkin, Mantha, and others. It really is a vicious cycle with these long deals, at least the Wings brand. Holland keeps chasing that dragon, digging the hole deeper with every swipe.

Last edited:

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016

Abby has been in 1 fight, but he's more of a pest than a knuckle chucker. Including preseason and playoffs, he's been in 26 fights over the course of 8 years.

Not sure about all season, but I also think he's been playing through an injury since, at least the 1st Habs game. He got absolutely rocked that game, and was very noticably shook up afterwards.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
It was a good deal, but it's not like we didn't know a drop in his play was coming. And knowing that, you have to take that into account when looking at handing out deals to everyone else. You could really say the same thing about Z's deal, Franzen's, etc. We got the good years out of them, and now we're paying the piper for it.

Those deals were singed before the re-capture penalty was put in place. Nobody could predict that. Kronners deal was a real bargain back then.

All teams have players with "bad contracts". CHI fans hate Toews contract, but tolerate Kanes because he's a scoring machine... right now. That'll change when he slumps.

This is the Nu:NHL. Everyone has "bad contracts". Usually the "good contracts" (according to fans) are players playing above their cap hit and are on a short term deal (i.e, Vanek).

Sometimes when Wings are playing bad and everyone here are on negative (fire everybody and tank) kicks, I'll go read other teams boards, only to realize they hate their GM, scouts, players, equipment's manager, goalie coach and etc. as bad as most here do about the DRWs. Lol

Same story, different team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad