Abby reading Shoot For the Goal to his kid

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
His other book "How To Get a Bonehead GM To Give You 80% More Than You're Worth Pretty Much Based On a Single Playoff Run So You Can Play Shit Hockey the Rest of Your Days" didn't sell as well...

Reactions: odin1981

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
upload_2020-3-29_11-25-47.png

Found the cover

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I wonder if he signs the book if you have to pay for it for 7 years more years after reading it once.

J.K. good on anyone motivated to try to help people.

Reactions: ZDH

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
Must be an older video, I haven't been able to Score a copy an have been looking for almost a year

Last edited:

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
We'd all be an "awesome dude" getting free millions ...

I'm not saying he's worth his contract, his contract was good, or whatever. I'm saying that he wrote a children's book and he's sharing it over youtube reading it to his little guy. He seems like he's a decent guy who is probably aware of his limitations... but would you ****ing turn down 4.5 million a year even if you weren't worth it? If you say yes, you're lying through your damn teeth.

Abdelkader never should have been offered that contract. But that's not his damn fault. He had the leverage to get it and he got it. Hate Holland and the Wings front office for the deal, not the guy.

I'm not even saying "hey, don't rip on Abdelkader for being bad at hockey because he's a good guy". Just stating he seems like a pretty normal dude... which when you're getting free millions that you don't deserve is actually pretty difficult to maintain if you're an egotist.

That was Holland's biggest failing. He started giving contracts to guys for character reasons and not hockey reasons. Cleary, Helm, and Abdelkader were all kinda shot/primed to fall off when they kept getting their deals. A more cutthroat GM would have let them go and the team would be better off for it. But that's not what happened.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I'm not saying he's worth his contract, his contract was good, or whatever. I'm saying that he wrote a children's book and he's sharing it over youtube reading it to his little guy. He seems like he's a decent guy who is probably aware of his limitations... but would you ****ing turn down 4.5 million a year even if you weren't worth it? If you say yes, you're lying through your damn teeth.

Abdelkader never should have been offered that contract. But that's not his damn fault. He had the leverage to get it and he got it. Hate Holland and the Wings front office for the deal, not the guy.

I'm not even saying "hey, don't rip on Abdelkader for being bad at hockey because he's a good guy". Just stating he seems like a pretty normal dude... which when you're getting free millions that you don't deserve is actually pretty difficult to maintain if you're an egotist.

That was Holland's biggest failing. He started giving contracts to guys for character reasons and not hockey reasons. Cleary, Helm, and Abdelkader were all kinda shot/primed to fall off when they kept getting their deals. A more cutthroat GM would have let them go and the team would be better off for it. But that's not what happened.

Holland just lost his compass and stopped understanding that 1) you win with talent 2) you only pay talent, or else, you don't have money to get talent.
Abdelkader wasn't talent.
Neither was Ericsson. Or Helm. or many others.

Reactions: Steve Yzerlland

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Holland just lost his compass and stopped understanding that 1) you win with talent 2) you only pay talent, or else, you don't have money to get talent.
Abdelkader wasn't talent.
Neither was Ericsson. Or Helm. or many others.

I actually think the Wings just bought into their own brand a little too hard. I did as well at times. But that after 20 years of living at incredible heights they began to convince themselves they could do certain things that are really hard to do because they had done them before. That they would get the best out of these guys the way they had resurrected Cleary, maximized Holmstrom, repurposed Draper and Maltby. The way they had maximized countless others during that timeframe and even churned Zetterberg, Datsyuk and to a lesser extent Franzen and Kronwall into big time players.

I think one of the biggest ones was they could cheat injuries and find ways. I get that the team that stomached Konstantinov and Fischer thought they could wade through but they could not. Ericsson is a guy many people believed in when he was younger, Bob McKenzie famously dropped the scouting lines he had heard from some in the business that he could be a big time top pairing guy when he was younger. Abdelkader is making best on best USA teams when Holland is nowhere near the process. I know lots of people hated them and knew all along, just know that wasn't the industry reputations on the players. I think injuries really derailed both guys to large extents and that does happen with some frequency. Outside of the cap-era you can bury that inside of it you have problems and we will continue to see this in the new setup. Helm has always been a player I struggled with far more in terms of his treatment and I didn't like all the neighbor's daughter stuff Holland would actually say in inappropriate settings and was constantly critical of that angle...

It wasn't that they didn't have talent, it is that we bought in we could take what they had and build something even more. We could not and you cannot with every player. I think that also explains some of the expectations on Nyquist and Tatar. But I don't think Yzerman is capping players ceilings or a belief you are going to maximize talent, that is a part of what everyone does in the industry. Sometime you're going to be right and other times you're not, you get punished far stepper in the cap era and it is hard to remain flexibility at the top look at Chicago and LA down with the Wings at the bottom of the mountain. The Pens will be there soon enough as Crosby and Malkin age more. It is a natural ebb and flow of how this system is setup.

You can make wrong choices and certainly the Wings did. But I feel it came far more from the belief they could turn these guys into more than they were because they had done it for a while and believed in that culture. That can be smartest guy in the room syndrome I guess, it probably wasn't helped by him adapting to the cap quicker than other guys, but I think ultimately the idea you're going to be successful forever when it really isn't designed to happen that way is a pretty big error by the masses. I mean are people calling the Spurs idiots because they finally declined after cheating it forever... Some might be but that is also a smartest guy in the room situation... Yeah I know many of you knew we should blow it up as soon as MAF made the save on Lidstrom, sorry that also isn't really reality of how this works. It is complex.

You need a little luck, try to minimize your mistakes, and that speeds it up a little bit. But the reality is even the best organizations don’t get everything right. There’s a lot of unpredictability in it. Some of the decisions we make, we put a lot of time and effort into them and they don’t work. We’re dealing with young men that get injured and lots of things can happen, so it’s not perfect.
-Steve Yzerman

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Considering this thread was made BEFORE abby was bought out, I can see all the hate flowing.

I think its great he published a children's book. I hope it does well for him.
If he is a bright guy, maybe he will have a future as a scout.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Considering this thread was made BEFORE abby was bought out, I can see all the hate flowing.

I think its great he published a children's book. I hope it does well for him.
If he is a bright guy, maybe he will have a future as a scout.
yeah I didn't realize at first this had been resurrected just to pile on.

It's one thing to hate his contract and his play on the ice, but going after the guy for writing a children's book and reading to his son? good lord.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->