Abby Gets a Promotion

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
It's what he does away from the puck that makes him effective more than what he does with it. I prefer he creates space for Larkin and Mantha.

Jesus christ. Where is the proof of this? The eye test doesn't back this up. The goal scoring when Abby's on the ice doesn't back this up (on the ice for just 9GF despite getting top 6 minutes). The Fenwick when Abby's on the ice doesn't back this up (he is literally team worst). The majority of the top 6 forwards (Larkin, AA, Bert, Nyquist) are on pace to have some of their best years and yet they're somehow doing it without Abby filling out the top 6.

This is nothing more than an outdated platitude that holds less and less water as time goes on. This isn't "big" Abdelkader protecting little Datsyuk and Zetterberg at peak NHL obstruction. This is an NHL where puck possession, smarts, and speed dominate. If anything, its Mantha and Larkin creating space for Abdelkader and the likes of Cholowski and Green creating space for them.

Fortunately, Abdelkader has been an afterthought this season so I could care less whether he's on the 1st line or the 4th but the idea that he is anything more than a gritty passenger in today's NHL has yet to bear out on the ice.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
This is Abby's chance to grab his hunk of cheese. Hopefully he can play heavy and hard on the puck and create some space, because it's a man's league, and the tie goes to the veteran. Besides, we like our team, and if we get into the playoffs as an 8th seed, anything can happen.

But it's a youth movement, you know. I don't want to say 'rebuild'. I don't like that word. It's a youth movement.
You should be happy, Abby blows.

Let's be real here the only youth movement you care about is in June. Winning games on the backs of our youngsters is bad.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
You should be happy, Abby blows.

Let's be real here the only youth movement you care about is in June. Winning games on the backs of our youngsters is bad.
I'm actually quite pleased with this. I'm just pointing out that even when Holland says he's changed, he hasn't changed. This organization makes the same poor personnel decisions it always has, "rebuild" or not.

Reactions: Ezekial

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I agree, Helm has been used much the same as how Hyman has been used in Toronto or how Burrows was used in Vancouver. His job is to retrieve pucks and give them to Larkin. He's been fairly successful at this I guess.

Abby's contract certainly "sucks" but that doesn't mean he's a trash hockey player whatsoever. He relies on his linemates for points, as he's mostly only useful for net front duties. I believe he can do that job better than Helm, so I'll be interested in watching him do that on the top line.

And all of that has absolutely nothing to do with Bertuzzi, despite what this board would have one think. This isn't Abby v. Bertuzzi.

Glad we're on the same page now

Why stop at Bertuzzi and LGD? Shouldn't Nyquist be on the top line? Shouldn't Athanasiou? Maybe even Rasmussen? Are we only comparing Abby to Bertuzzi because they both play a physical brand of hockey? Does that mean you agree we should have a physical on the top line?

Abdelkader supporting the top line is in no way an indicator that he's a better player than Bertuzzi. We do have to play balanced lines.
I don't agree that we always need a physical player on the top line. Or that we always need balanced lines. I think both of those are formulas that act as a crutch if they're always followed to the letter.

A team should make a lineup that gets the most from the players on their roster, whether that's to run 4 somewhat balanced lines, or to completely overload on a top line, or somewhere in between. But to assume that one formula will work for 82 games is just as frustrating as constantly rearranging everything.

ChrisReevesLegs

Nov 5, 2018
Seattle
I don't agree that we always need a physical player on the top line. Or that we always need balanced lines. I think both of those are formulas that act as a crutch if they're always followed to the letter.

A team should make a lineup that gets the most from the players on their roster, whether that's to run 4 somewhat balanced lines, or to completely overload on a top line, or somewhere in between. But to assume that one formula will work for 82 games is just as frustrating as constantly rearranging everything.

So... then you agree with me?

I'm not saying the top line absolutely needs a physical presence. I'm also not saying we need 4 balanced lines, or even 3 balanced lines, etc etc.

I'm saying Abdelkader isn't a valueless hockey player. And playing him on the top line isn't a crime against hockey as some around here would have you believe. Is he overpaid? Yup. Does that dictate where he should play in the lineup? Nope.

So essentially my feelings are: I'm interested to see Abby play on the top line. If all goes well, great. If not I hope Blashill readjusts fairly quickly.

I think that's pretty fair.

RedWingsfan55

Jan 5, 2015
I'd prefer raz on the top line. We have a playmaker in larkin, a sniper in mantha. Raz gives it the important net front guy.

The only negative is it stacks your top line with arguably your 3 most talented forwards.

Reactions: Ulysses31

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Hmm... Idk. I wanted Bertuzzi on this line from even when I seen Helm got the nodd. We'll see Coach proved he knew more than me last go around but man... Still feel like Bertuzzi should be on line 1.

Bertuzzi-Larkin-Mantha looks good to me.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
So... then you agree with me?

I'm not saying the top line absolutely needs a physical presence. I'm also not saying we need 4 balanced lines, or even 3 balanced lines, etc etc.

I'm saying Abdelkader isn't a valueless hockey player. And playing him on the top line isn't a crime against hockey as some around here would have you believe. Is he overpaid? Yup. Does that dictate where he should play in the lineup? Nope.

So essentially my feelings are: I'm interested to see Abby play on the top line. If all goes well, great. If not I hope Blashill readjusts fairly quickly.

I think that's pretty fair.
You're perfectly entitled to that opinion. I just think Abdelkader has been given overall better treatment in the lineup throughout his career than his overall play has warranted.

If they want to give him a shot there, so be it. But at this point, there's no real surprises or untapped potential to Justin Abdelkader, so I'm not in a hurry to try him in a prime spot, when I kinda already know what to expect (nothing special), versus seeing whether another player with a higher ceiling can grow into that role.

ChrisReevesLegs

Nov 5, 2018
Seattle
You're perfectly entitled to that opinion. I just think Abdelkader has been given overall better treatment in the lineup throughout his career than his overall play has warranted.

If they want to give him a shot there, so be it. But at this point, there's no real surprises or untapped potential to Justin Abdelkader, so I'm not in a hurry to try him in a prime spot, when I kinda already know what to expect (nothing special), versus seeing whether another player with a higher ceiling can grow into that role.

Fair point.

Not that I think he needs it, but makes you wonder if there is still some sheltering going on with young players like Bertuzzi. The kid hasn't played 82 games yet. I wonder if this is less about rewarding Abby and more about not handing a large role to such a new NHLer.

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018
Abdelkader is hated for his contract, not because he's bad at hockey. Leading the team in hits right now, and is the best physical presence we have. Will be good to see if he can add a more physical element to the top line, and maybe he can get some points going too.
For a guy whos played a considerate amount of time with Datsyuk, his points total is pathetic. Of course his contract is the worse part of his deal. But lets not kind ourselves Abby's has had a mediorce career, by all standards other than a money making one.

Reactions: RabidBadger

ChrisReevesLegs

Nov 5, 2018
Seattle
For a guy whos played a considerate amount of time with Datsyuk, his points total is pathetic. Of course his contract is the worse part of his deal. But lets not kind ourselves Abby's has had a mediorce career, by all standards other than a money making one.

I don't see what this has to do with my point about younger players being sheltered, but sure. Abdelkader is a pretty mediocre middle 6 forward who maxes out at 40 some points in a good year. I don't think anyone disagrees with you.

Reactions: wingerdinger

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018
I don't see what this has to do with my point about younger players being sheltered, but sure. Abdelkader is a pretty mediocre middle 6 forward who maxes out at 40 some points in a good year. I don't think anyone disagrees with you.
didnt see your sheltered post until it was too late. think youre spot on.

Reactions: ChrisReevesLegs

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Yup, he'd probably be a lot more popular if his contract was more comparable to Luke. Same goes for Helm. At best, they're all third liners, 2 of them are paid like scorers.

He'd also be more popular if he didn't have a history of taking idiot penalties, doling out cheap shots, turtling to Brian Boyle and generally being inconsequential throughout his career. If he played for, say, the Penguins, everyone here would despise him for his idiotic play.

I was vilified here after saying he was worthless after his allmighty career year of 44 points (though I admitted he had a decent year). I'm pleased others see what a dolt he is.

Reactions: taliababa

Lil Bert

Oct 14, 2018
I'd prefer raz on the top line. We have a playmaker in larkin, a sniper in mantha. Raz gives it the important net front guy.

The only negative is it stacks your top line with arguably your 3 most talented forwards.
lol moose is big and can tip pucks but he is far from our third most talented forward. He doesn't throw the body, can hardly skate faster than Bertuzzi, and doesn't make plays. I'd put him below Glenny on the talent chart as of now.

ChrisReevesLegs

Nov 5, 2018
Seattle
lol moose is big and can tip pucks but he is far from our third most talented forward. He doesn't throw the body, can hardly skate faster than Bertuzzi, and doesn't make plays. I'd put him below Glenny on the talent chart as of now.

As of now maybe... But Ras will be far ahead of Glendening probably within the year. + 10 pts for the controversial opinion thou.

Reactions: Lil Bert

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad