Abbotsford Heat relocating to Glens Falls, NY

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
Some background/history on Petrovek please? I'm sure many would appreciate your insight into this and some rationale for this opinion.

Most recently this past season saw the Pirates in litigious lease negotiations with Cumberland County Civic Center. Petrovek was the face and voice of the franchise during those discussions, which were often proven to be chilly and contentious due to the long drawn-out battles over the team’s lease with the Civic Center’s Board of Trustees.

On several occasions the Pirates threatened to relocate the franchise after they were unable to come to terms on a new deal.

In 2005, Petrovek nearly moved the team to Worcester, Mass., and again in 2009 when talks of the team relocating to Albany, NY arose as both sides went down to the 11th hour before agreeing to a lease agreement.

Last November, Petrovek explored moving the team to Glens Falls after talks on a new long-term lease broke down prior to the start of the season. The Pirates were forced to move its home games to the Androscoggin Bank Colisee in Lewiston where they suffered the worst attendance record in franchise history, averaging just 2,185 per game.

The Pirates filed suit that was later dropped against the trustees for breach of contract before eventually settling on a new five-year lease with the Civic Center, but not before the Pirates underwent a management shakeup which resulted in Ron Cain becoming majority owner, and Petrovek being removed from his role as Managing Partner and CEO and given the title as President of Business Development.

There are plenty of articles here locally about his relationship with the Civic Center. He was always looking for a handout and when he got it was never enough… He’d be hugging you while stabbing you in the back. He is absolutely hated by the fans here. Many fans that followed the team in the early years refused to have anything to do with them as long as he was in control because he ignored the team’s past. He removed a lot of the team history in the building because it didn’t build on the “brandâ€â€¦. Look for that catch word in his interviews. He could never keep quality front office staff because of his micromanagement of everything. People have quit left and right and in recent years Petro has used interns to handle many of the tasks that needed a qualified person. Portland has gone through six media communication reps in the last seven years. There have been complaints from local business that were never paid for services. He’ll barter a deal and never follow through.

In his mind…. It’s not about the local fans. They are not the No. 1 customer. The NHL team is the No. 1 customer and it’s about development and creating an environment for developing, not necessarily winning.

The best way to describe Petro: He’s 80-grit sandpaper when you need a polishing cloth.

FYI, I really want Glens Falls to be successful. I don’t wish ill on the team, but people need to keep an eye on him because – I’ve said it before and I’ll keep saying it – a leopard doesn’t change his spots and just because he’s in GF now doesn’t mean he’s going to change how he’s run a franchise for the last 14 years.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
OMG $800 for season tickets seems awful steep for the sides! I would have thought premium seating would go for no more then $500 or $600 at the most. That part of Upstate NY is not known for its high paying jobs. Even the team in Rochester which although is still a very dinky city dwarfs Glen Falls charges for season seats what amounts to be $10 I believe. I just don't see an area which relies on tourist industry and prison guard jobs able to sustain season pass holder packages costing $600 to $800. They probably will rely heavily on discount walkups though.

Do you ever have anything positive to say?

From a Comets fan I would like to congratulate the tremendous fans in the Glens Falls area on your new team.

RFA

Jan 17, 2010
Prices are identical to what Phantoms charged, and they have the list of who had what seat. Phantoms had around 1,800 season ticket holders so I don't think the prices will be a problem.

Abbotsford made the playoffs 3 out of 5 years, not sure why people are badmouthing the Flames.

Petro should be interesting. But will he have the same power he had in Portland? Will he be able to threaten to move, etc?

Cornwalll Aces are a distant memory, Mike.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Prices are identical to what Phantoms charged, and they have the list of who had what seat. Phantoms had around 1,800 season ticket holders so I don't think the prices will be a problem.

Abbotsford made the playoffs 3 out of 5 years, not sure why people are badmouthing the Flames.

Petro should be interesting. But will he have the same power he had in Portland? Will he be able to threaten to move, etc?

Cornwalll Aces are a distant memory, Mike.
No, he wouldn't have the power to move the club, in Portland he was only able to do that because he was an owner

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
Yeah... I have to agree. I don't think he'll have the power to threaten to move the team, but its the other stuff. All that said, Petro it is what it is.

Enjoy today and getting a team back in Glens Falls. It will be interesting when Portland and GF play each other. Wonder if it will bring back a rivalry back when the Red Wings and Pirates went at it. Also, you have one hell of a goalie coming your way from South Portland, Maine at some point in the near future. Jon Gillies is a junior at Providence College and the Flames are drooling for him to turn pro.

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014

From a Comets fan I would like to congratulate the tremendous fans in the Glens Falls area on your new team.

Nothing negative, just surprised at the ticket prices for that region. There isn't many areas of Upstate NY that are not losing jobs and people. They would sell more tickets in Adirondack if they charged $12 to $15 dollars a seat. The NJ Devils lowered their prices in Albany for upper level seats to $7 for the playoffs and were among the top playoff draws so far in the AHL playoffs. It's better to draw more fans in the building at a lower price then charge more per ticket and have less fans. More money is spent on merchandise and food.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Yeah... I have to agree. I don't think he'll have the power to threaten to move the team, but its the other stuff. All that said, Petro it is what it is.

Enjoy today and getting a team back in Glens Falls. It will be interesting when Portland and GF play each other. Wonder if it will bring back a rivalry back when the Red Wings and Pirates went at it. Also, you have one hell of a goalie coming your way from South Portland, Maine at some point in the near future. Jon Gillies is a junior at Providence College and the Flames are drooling for him to turn pro.
Yeah we can't wait to get Gillies when he turns pro. I am very much looking forward to him and Jankowski.

Theoriginalalex

@3in3hockey
May 5, 2014
Staunton, VA
Even the team in Rochester which although is still a very dinky city dwarfs Glen Falls charges for season seats what amounts to be $10 I believe.

Dinky city? Right, and RIT is the number one game in town? I've lived in Rochester my whole life, I've been going to Amerks games my whole life. Everytime you say something about Rochester you demonstrate how little you know about our city.

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
So not to change the subject, but Petro hinted that ADR will be in the Western Conference. Is this what alignment will look like?

EASTERN CONFERENCE:
Atlantic Division:
St. John’s
Portland
Manchester
Worcester
Providence

Northeast Division:
Springfield
Albany
Hartford
Bridgeport
Binghamton

East Division:
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton
Norfolk
Hershey
Syracuse
Lehigh Valley

WESTERN CONFERENCE:
North Division:
Adirondack
Toronto
Rochester
Hamilton
Utica

Midwest Division:
Chicago
Grand Rapids
Milwaukee
Rockford
Lake Erie

West Division:
Texas
Oklahoma City
San Antonio
Charlotte
Iowa

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
Dinky city? Right, and RIT is the number one game in town? I've lived in Rochester my whole life, I've been going to Amerks games my whole life. Everytime you say something about Rochester you demonstrate how little you know about our city.

Come on, that's just your opinion. I am from Philly metro area and in the heart of strong NHL, AHL, and not even too far from the ECHL Royals. I can be on train and enjoying NHL hockey in half an hour, likewise in other direction next fall will be enjoying AHL hockey in Allentown. To compare any city in NY other then NYC as being a mid to large size city is absurd. Even Buffalo is clinging on to their NFL and NHL teams. I may not live in Rochester but have attended PLENTY of business trips there. The Americans have somewhat shed their historic past as did the "older" American Hockey league. Rochester no longer sits on top of the local sports scene, just as Kodak has been left behind by the digital image world. Rochester is a town struggling by people leaving for better opportunity elsewhere and free from a city riddled with high crime. Rochester will always best serve Buffalo as their farm team but to the newer generations which call Rochester home the Americans are just a hockey team playing in the old War Memorial. We all know what happened when tax payers paid for a soccer stadium for the MSL which never came to pass. RIT hockey will do quite well when they open their beautiful building.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
So not to change the subject, but Petro hinted that ADR will be in the Western Conference. Is this what alignment will look like?

EASTERN CONFERENCE:
Atlantic Division:
St. John’s
Portland
Manchester
Worcester
Providence

Northeast Division:
Springfield
Albany
Hartford
Bridgeport
Binghamton

East Division:
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton
Norfolk
Hershey
Syracuse
Lehigh Valley

WESTERN CONFERENCE:
North Division:
Adirondack
Toronto
Rochester
Hamilton
Utica

Midwest Division:
Chicago
Grand Rapids
Milwaukee
Rockford
Lake Erie

West Division:
Texas
Oklahoma City
San Antonio
Charlotte
Iowa
This is exactly what I am expecting too. But with the NHL at 4 divisions with lopsided divisions, I can still see the AHL going that route too

Maybe something like:

East Conference | East Conference | West Conference | West Conference Northeast Division | East Division | North Division | West Division
Albany | Bridgeport | Adirondack | Chicago
Binghamton | Charlotte | Grand Rapids | Iowa
Manchester | Hartford | Hamilton | Milwaukee
Portland | Hershey | Lake Erie | Oklahoma City
Providence | Lehigh Valley | Rochester | Rockford
Springfield | Norfolk | Toronto | San Antonio
St. John’s | Syracuse | Utica | Texas
Worcester | Wilkes-Barre/Scranton | - | -

As much as I want Adirondack in the East, I think it is ridiculous that Charlotte is in the West and deserve to be in the East much more than the Flames. Also when St. John's does move to Thunder Bay it will give the AHL the option to re-balance the conferences by moving them to the West Division.

JungleJON

May 10, 2011

EASTERN CONFERENCE:
Atlantic Division:
St. John’s
Portland
Manchester
Worcester
Providence

Northeast Division:
Springfield
Albany
Hartford
Bridgeport
Binghamton

East Division:
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton
Norfolk
Hershey
Syracuse
Lehigh Valley

WESTERN CONFERENCE:
North Division:
Adirondack
Toronto
Rochester
Hamilton
Utica

Midwest Division:
Chicago
Grand Rapids
Milwaukee
Rockford
Lake Erie

West Division:
Texas
Oklahoma City
San Antonio
Charlotte
Iowa

** I can see maybe Syracuse and Binghamton switching.**

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
This is exactly what I am expecting too. But with the NHL at 4 divisions with lopsided divisions, I can still see the AHL going that route too

Maybe something like:

East Conference | East Conference | West Conference | West Conference Northeast Division | East Division | North Division | West Division
Albany | Bridgeport | Adirondack | Chicago
Binghamton | Charlotte | Grand Rapids | Iowa
Manchester | Hartford | Hamilton | Milwaukee
Portland | Hershey | Lake Erie | Oklahoma City
Providence | Lehigh Valley | Rochester | Rockford
Springfield | Norfolk | Toronto | San Antonio
St. John’s | Syracuse | Utica | Texas
Worcester | Wilkes-Barre/Scranton | - | -

As much as I want Adirondack in the East, I think it is ridiculous that Charlotte is in the West and deserve to be in the East much more than the Flames. Also when St. John's does move to Thunder Bay it will give the AHL the option to re-balance the conferences by moving them to the West Division.

hate to disagree with you, ADK, but the 8-8-7-7 FORMAT won't be adopted in this league.

until we knew the Flames were staying in the Western Conference just switching divisions from West to North.

it'll be a minor tweak, we had surmised the Flames to the NE, to keep the continuity w/ having Albany and Adirondack in the same division, Lehigh Valley slides to the East, and it's likely what wildcat posted, it's just which western team Lake Erie or Iowa are the probabilities to be the 5th.

St. John's isn't a given nor is it happening as yet, so Thunder Bay isn't a part of this until it's confirmed the Ice Caps are indeed leaving St. John's

the reason 8-8-7-7 WAS ADOPTED was expansion was forthcoming, it's not.

RFA

Jan 17, 2010
I don't think Charlotte wants to be in the east, the city names in the west are major league in most instances, what the Checkers want to be known wiwth since the move from the ECHL.

Does sound like Flames will be west. So 12 games with Rochester, Utica, Albany, then some eastern-West teams make the Utica-Adk weekend swing? The schedule will be very interesting.

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
great.... the negative nellies have already started and the team been in town for like ten minutes...... give us a break........

The Flames and now their buy running the franchise do not have stellar reputations. Facts just suck sometimes so quit dissing on people because they bring up that the flames have hosed over three cities in the past 9 years.

I don't think Charlotte wants to be in the east, the city names in the west are major league in most instances, what the Checkers want to be known wiwth since the move from the ECHL.

Does sound like Flames will be west. So 12 games with Rochester, Utica, Albany, then some eastern-West teams make the Utica-Adk weekend swing? The schedule will be very interesting.

We know that the AHL doesn't give a rats behind about what conference or division a team is in when they make the schedule. They don't even have the teams play all the teams in their own conference.

It looks like the west of Pennsylvania teams will get a few more games against each other. I guess we playing a team 14 times during the season will not lead to any boredom....

RFA

Jan 17, 2010
Adirondack had 4 weeknight home games last year, Utica had 11. If Adirondack ends up with 11 this year that's going to drop the average attendance 3-500 or so.

Did Utica have the big number of weeknights because college conflicts or because of the Western teams coming in?

How did Calgary hose the cities? They moved around, but the people in the cities didn't go to the games that much either? I'm saying they did or didn't hose, but what did they do? I don't think that Abbotsford was hosed, and I really have no idea what happened in the other two.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
Adirondack had 4 weeknight home games last year, Utica had 11. If Adirondack ends up with 11 this year that's going to drop the average attendance 3-500 or so.

Did Utica have the big number of weeknights because college conflicts or because of the Western teams coming in?

How did Calgary hose the cities? They moved around, but the people in the cities didn't go to the games that much either? I'm saying they did or didn't hose, but what did they do? I don't think that Abbotsford was hosed, and I really have no idea what happened in the other two.

Utica College had their 2013-14 schedule submitted before the Comets came into existence and the Comets agreed to honor it. Utica College home schedule was 100% weekend games so the Comets played 11 weeknight games. I would expect that to change next season as the Comets local owners also manage the Aud and should have priority in available dates.

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006

How do you figure Abbotsford wasn't hosed? Did you look at the financials and how much the city paid to the Flames over the past 5 years? Also, you really need to chec the attendance as well. They left Omaha after there was a nice rise in attendance. They got QC to make major changes to their ice, the same thing they did to Omaha. Signed a 5 year deal and bailed after 2.

So, I hope that Glens Falls has better luck but those that do not learn from history are bound to repeat it.

aparch

Apr 3, 2008
...They don't even have the teams play all the teams in their own conference...

They finally did this past season. Every team in the Western Conference played everyone else in the conference at least twice (once home, once away).

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
How do you figure Abbotsford wasn't hosed? Did you look at the financials and how much the city paid to the Flames over the past 5 years? Also, you really need to chec the attendance as well. They left Omaha after there was a nice rise in attendance. They got QC to make major changes to their ice, the same thing they did to Omaha. Signed a 5 year deal and bailed after 2.

So, I hope that Glens Falls has better luck but those that do not learn from history are bound to repeat it.
You are constantly blaming the Flames for a contract that was offered to them. The Flames did not hose the City of Abbotsford, the mayor/city council ****ed Abbotsford repeatedly.

First they build an arena that barely got a 50% approval from the citizens. Then out of pure desperation to find some kind of permanent tenant they chased the Flames and made them an offer they couldn't refuse.

None of that is the Flames fault. All they did is accept a business agreement and do the best they could while they were there.

Disengage

Nov 11, 2007
They finally did this past season. Every team in the Western Conference played everyone else in the conference at least twice (once home, once away).

Not true. Rochester didn't play Charlotte at all. I don't think Utica played Charlotte either.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Utica didn't play Charlotte or Grand Rapids but we did play Abbotsford 12 times.....
This bugged me, then the Heat only played "division rival" Charlotte twice. If the league is going to have the schedule weighted this poorly why bother making the divisions geographically correct?

IceCapsFanNL

Nov 1, 2011
St. John's
St. John's isn't a given nor is it happening as yet, so Thunder Bay isn't a part of this until it's confirmed the Ice Caps are indeed leaving St. John's.

i expect TNSE to pull their team after next year. Don't be surprised if another team is in place the year after. I'd say there is a better than even chance that the IceCaps are in the league long term.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad