Abbotsford Heat relocating to Glens Falls, NY

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006

aparch

Apr 3, 2008
3 conferences of 10 and league-wide playoffs?

Nah. Check out how the ECHL does it:

Western Conference -
Mountain Division - 4 teams
Pacific Division - 4 teams

Eastern Conference -
Atlantic Division - 3 teams
North Division - 5 teams
South Division - 5 teams

Top eight teams in each conference make the playoffs... Meaning all eight Western Conference teams make it.

Thus, in the 20/10 split, eight of the top ten Western Conf AHL teams would make it every year. And only eight of the 20 Eastern Conf teams would. :naughty:

RFA

Jan 17, 2010
For the playoffs (not that they'll do it) but a 32 team tourney would be the most fun way to go. Either give the top team a bye (30/2=15 plus champ) or bring in a Euro team or ECHL all-stars or something. It would generate more interest I think, and every game being an elimination game adds to the excitement.

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
As was mention by MHJ a couple weeks ago former Portland Pirates CEO Brian Petrovek is taking on a vital role with the new AHL franchise in Glens Falls, NY. It's expected he will be named President of the Adirondack AHL franchise tomorrow in a press conference..... He still has a small ownership stake in the Pirates, but its not clear if he has to sell it to take the job in NY. Here is the original story from 4/28/14 http://mainehockeyjournal.com/?p=20825

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
As was mention by MHJ a couple weeks ago former Portland Pirates CEO Brian Petrovek is taking on a vital role with the new AHL franchise in Glens Falls, NY. It's expected he will be named President of the Adirondack AHL franchise tomorrow in a press conference..... He still has a small ownership stake in the Pirates, but its not clear if he has to sell it to take the job in NY. Here is the original story from 4/28/14 http://mainehockeyjournal.com/?p=20825
You would think that it would be a conflict of interest and he would be forced to sell.

Is this a Treliving move to bring this guy in? This story is from the same day Treliving was hired, seems a little too coincidental to me.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
don't think it technically matters, AH, Familiarity is one thing, but Brian overall did well despite circumstances sometimes out of his control, like wildcat said, I'm not sure he expected to be running a franchise for 14 years, no matter what was thrown at him he was professional.

as for Treliving, he was as equally professional, but it's Burke who BT is reporting to, and we're familiar with that style from Anaheim's tenure in Portland.

bet you didn't know that Brian Burke actually is a part of our hockey history, playing one season here, before embarking on his hockey journey through the NHL.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
don't think it technically matters, AH, Familiarity is one thing, but Brian overall did well despite circumstances sometimes out of his control, like wildcat said, I'm not sure he expected to be running a franchise for 14 years, no matter what was thrown at him he was professional.

as for Treliving, he was as equally professional, but it's Burke who BT is reporting to, and we're familiar with that style from Anaheim's tenure in Portland.

bet you didn't know that Brian Burke actually is a part of our hockey history, playing one season here, before embarking on his hockey journey through the NHL.
Who cares if Burke played in Portland, it is completely irrelevant to the topic at hand. (But yes I actually did know that Burke played in Portland, I do believe it was right after he finished at Providence College)

It is no coincidence that on the day Treliving is hired as Flames GM, that Brian Petrovek leaves his job in Portland that he has held for 14 years. I have no doubt Burke was involved in the decision too, but the timing says alot.

I hope (and believe he will) Petrovek does as much for the Adirondack team as Ryan Walter did for the Abbotsford Heat. Walter was amazing at getting the players involved in the community, the organization of his "legends of hockey" nights was inspiring as he used those to try and lure Canucks, Canadien and Leafs fans to the games.

The one thing I liked that the Heat didn't do and something I hope Petrovek doesn't bring to the Heat is having special uniforms a bunch of times through the season. Have the Pirates done much of that in recent years? I know the Phantoms last year had at least a few special event uniforms including the ultra lame USA ones that were designed to look like some old hockey Canada uniforms during the Olympics, even though they were facing another American team.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Who cares if Burke played in Portland, it is completely irrelevant to the topic at hand. (But yes I actually did know that Burke played in Portland, I do believe it was right after he finished at Providence College)

It is no coincidence that on the day Treliving is hired as Flames GM, that Brian Petrovek leaves his job in Portland that he has held for 14 years. I have no doubt Burke was involved in the decision too, but the timing says alot.

I hope (and believe he will) Petrovek does as much for the Adirondack team as Ryan Walter did for the Abbotsford Heat. Walter was amazing at getting the players involved in the community, the organization of his "legends of hockey" nights was inspiring as he used those to try and lure Canucks, Canadien and Leafs fans to the games.

The one thing I liked that the Heat didn't do and something I hope Petrovek doesn't bring to the Heat is having special uniforms a bunch of times through the season. Have the Pirates done much of that in recent years? I know the Phantoms last year had at least a few special event uniforms including the ultra lame USA ones that were designed to look like some old hockey Canada uniforms during the Olympics, even though they were facing another American team.

most teams have done that and auctioned them off, Portland has done that even bringing an anniversary silver 20th anniversary jersey out during that season instead of their traditional.... the Phantoms were definitely involved in the Glens Falls community as part of their focus despite it being a 'lame-duck' franchise, same as Petrovek tried to dco in Lewiston, despite, Petrovek is definitely committed as a hockey executive could be, but I was wondering if he might have got burnt out after the initial trustee meetings, hence why Cain was brought in as a different voice, and now has full control of the Pirates, but you can guarantee that Petrovek backs up what he says, despite the incessant rumors that can float around this sport, ie relocation, whether you agreed w/ the way things went, you could never fault him and the Pirates are still here as his legacy, much as it was Ebright's legacy when he brought the team here from Baltimore.

aparch

Apr 3, 2008
Welcome to the AHL Adirondack Flames...

BnugkgPCYAADY4x.jpg

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
Petrovek to be named President of the Calgary Flames’ AHL team
By Chris Roy | Updated: May 15, 2014

PORTLAND – Brian Petrovek has a new job.

The former managing owner and CEO of the Portland Pirates will be introduced at a press conference on Friday as the new president of the Calgary Flames’ AHL franchise that will be located in Glens Falls, NY.

READ MORE>>>>>

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
You would think that it would be a conflict of interest and he would be forced to sell.

Is this a Treliving move to bring this guy in? This story is from the same day Treliving was hired, seems a little too coincidental to me.

I don't think its a Treliving move per se because Petrovek going to Glens Falls has been discussed here in Portland since last Nov... Petrovek and Diamond became really close and the word from here was Petro was going to leave to take a job with MSG when it was believed that the Rangers were going to Glens Falls. When that fell through this just seemed to be part of the lease negotiations... Petro will run the day-to-day business of the team while the Flames handle the player operations side.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I don't think its a Treliving move per se because Petrovek going to Glens Falls has been discussed here in Portland since last Nov... Petrovek and Diamond became really close and the word from here was Petro was going to leave to take a job with MSG when it was believed that the Rangers were going to Glens Falls. When that fell through this just seemed to be part of the lease negotiations... Petro will run the day-to-day business of the team while the Flames handle the player operations side.
fair enough, thanks for the info. I've appreciated your scoop on this story.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Using the old Atlanta Flames logo, eh? I strongly approve.

If the go the route of wearing a modern update of their old logo, they'll quickly become one of the best looking teams in the league.

Flames3.png

EDIT: Oh, that's just the rumored name? Well, it'd fit perfectly, so hope that they go that route regardless.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Using the old Atlanta Flames logo, eh? I strongly approve.

If the go the route of wearing a modern update of their old logo, they'll quickly become one of the best looking teams in the league.

Flames3.png

EDIT: Oh, that's just the rumored name? Well, it'd fit perfectly, so hope that they go that route regardless.
I'd say it's a very strong rumour. This is apparently a screenshot floating around on twitter tonight of an email sent out to the phantoms mailing list

BnucLRMCEAAhFFO.jpg

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Abbotsford's been deleted off the league directory, and Adirondack launched its twitter and facebook page under the Flames moniker, so yes, NFS, it appears it is Flames for the 3rd time since 2003, the year Calgary left Harbour Station in Saint John, NB and landed in Omaha, then back to the Flame moniker briefly in QC.

SUSPECT web address will likely be launched after announcement likely http://www.adirondackflames.com....

Abbotsford's site has been frozen on splash page, it was operational as late as last week.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Abbotsford's been deleted off the league directory, and Adirondack launched its twitter and facebook page under the Flames moniker, so yes, NFS, it appears it is Flames for the 3rd time since 2003, the year Calgary left Harbour Station in Saint John, NB and landed in Omaha, then back to the Flame moniker briefly in QC.

SUSPECT web address will likely be launched after announcement likely http://www.adirondackflames.com....

Abbotsford's site has been frozen on splash page, it was operational as late as last week.
the Adirondack Flames facebook page is a fan page that started a little while ago, unless a new one has started up.

and @AHLflames may or may not be legit, it's difficult to tell.

edit: and http://www.adirondackflames.com/ is now live. I'd say that is about as official as it gets

Last edited:

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
OMG $800 for season tickets seems awful steep for the sides! I would have thought premium seating would go for no more then $500 or $600 at the most. That part of Upstate NY is not known for its high paying jobs. Even the team in Rochester which although is still a very dinky city dwarfs Glen Falls charges for season seats what amounts to be $10 I believe. I just don't see an area which relies on tourist industry and prison guard jobs able to sustain season pass holder packages costing $600 to $800. They probably will rely heavily on discount walkups though.

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
Petrovek named president of Adirondack Flames
By Chris Roy | Updated: May 15, 2014

PORTLAND – Brian Petrovek has a new job.

The former managing owner and CEO of the Portland Pirates was introduced at a press conference on Friday as the new president of the Calgary Flames’ AHL franchise that will be located in Glens Falls, NY.

READ MORE>>>>>

Updated with quotes...

Sounds like ADR will be in the Western Conference next season.

Petro can retain his minority stake in the Pirates

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
The only thing that I will say is that I'm apologizing now to the city of Glens Falls for what is about to happen....
great.... the negative nellies have already started and the team been in town for like ten minutes...... give us a break........

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
great.... the negative nellies have already started and the team been in town for like ten minutes...... give us a break........
Not being negative, just a realist. This has nothing do with western expansion or the Flames history of the being in minor league markets or anything like that. Brian Petrovek is who he is.... He left a swath of damage on his way out of the town that current ownership is just now beginning to clean up and realize the extent of the damage done. A leopard doesn't change his spots and even listening to the presser I heard the same speech countless time here in Portland. Nothing has changed with the man. I wish Glens Falls all the best. They are a top-notch AHL market and deserve the best. I'm simply apologizing because I know what's coming.

HackandLube

Dec 7, 2005
Not being negative, just a realist. This has nothing do with western expansion or the Flames history of the being in minor league markets or anything like that. Brian Petrovek is who he is.... He left a swath of damage on his way out of the town that current ownership is just now beginning to clean up and realize the extent of the damage done. A leopard doesn't change his spots and even listening to the presser I heard the same speech countless time here in Portland. Nothing has changed with the man. I wish Glens Falls all the best. They are a top-notch AHL market and deserve the best. I'm simply apologizing because I know what's coming.

Some background/history on Petrovek please? I'm sure many would appreciate your insight into this and some rationale for this opinion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad