Abbotsford Canucks Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Schmiemann strikes me as a potential Aman-type signing. Was allowed to walk by his draft team in free agency, Canucks pluck him, and find some currency there. Schmiemann is on an AHL deal, but I hope the Canucks think long and hard about inking him to an NHL contract.

I find his situation really frustrating.

Right from the prospects camp in 2022 he's looked like a legitimate prospect and performed at the sort of levels where if we'd taken him in the 3rd round or if we'd signed him as a hyped NCAA UFA we'd be really happy with him. But he's typecast as 'the filler guy' on an AHL contract and when the guys on NHL contracts are healthy, he's just automatically out of the lineup even if he's playing ahead of them when they're all in the lineup together.

But he's younger than Hirose/Woo/McWard and is basically on the same level as McWard/ahead of Hirose/a bit behind Woo right now. He should get getting top-4 minutes every game but instead he only plays like 40% of the time.

If Hirose or Johansson is back in a week ... Schmiemann is coming right out again for the next game even though he was maybe the best player on the ice yesterday.

As an aside, I can't believe what a vanilla nothing Hirose has looked like this year. I feel like an idiot for hyping him up during the summer. Right now he's the 8th best defender option in the AHL and I legit thought he had a chance to stick in the NHL based on how he looked to close out last year. Oops.
Schmiemann looked right on par with and stronger than the fringe youth at training camp from what i saw. Even in simple drills he showed he can read not react

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019

As an aside, I can't believe what a vanilla nothing Hirose has looked like this year. I feel like an idiot for hyping him up during the summer. Right now he's the 8th best defender option in the AHL and I legit thought he had a chance to stick in the NHL based on how he looked to close out last year. Oops.
I felt the same way about Hirose. In hindsight, he's a got a lot of flaws to go with one strength. Flaws: small, weak, only okay mobility. Strength: good hockey IQ that allows him to complement a stronger partner, which buys him the time and space to make smart little plays at both ends.

In the AHL, he lacks that stronger d partner and instead, is relied upon to carry a pairing, which isn't what he's good at.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Schmiemann looked right on par with and stronger than the fringe youth at training camp from what i saw. Even in simple drills he showed he can read not react

Actual AHL games >>>> training camp drills. Have a look at the play he makes in the neutral zone on the 4-0 goal yesterday, if you can.

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England
Last night's game was just an absolute shitkicking. Shots were 32-11 when we went up 6-0 midway through the 2nd period. Both teams basically just coasted the rest of the way in the 2nd half of a B2B but that was probably the most dominant performance in the history of the Abbotsford franchise. Just destroyed them.

My 1st star in the game would have been ... Quinn Schmiemann. Basically created 3 of the 6 goals himself. Two primary assists (one very steezy one on the Bains goal) and on another goal made a great read in the neutral zone to break up a rush and send play the other direction. I've said for awhile that he's the unluckiest player in Abbotsford because he always plays well but is down the pecking order behind anyone with an NHL contract, and this really showed again here. Looked like a legitimate NHL prospect in this game.

All 6 defenders were excellent, really. McWard was playing with Schmiemann and had maybe his best AHL game as well, and the Irwin-Cicek pairing has been terrific - Cicek now a +5 in 3 games and scored his first goal. Looks like a legitimate depth option.

Podkolzin wasn't quite as good as the previous night but skated well again and was involved in several quality chances. Bains looks to be getting back on track after a poor couple weeks - nice to see him get a couple goals. Nielsen also had his best game in quite a while.
What does steezy mean?

Never seen that word before.

Reactions: Lindgren

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
I think i may just buy the rest of the abby season on ahl.. merry christmas to me

Can never get a stream .. barely any ahl
Actual AHL games >>>> training camp drills. Have a look at the play he makes in the neutral zone on the 4-0 goal yesterday, if you can.

What does steezy mean?

Never seen that word before.
I think it combines stupid (but in a good way) and m2breezy

• Haha
Reactions: vanuck and Lindgren
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad