NFL: Aaron Rodgers wants out of Green Bay? (not anymore?)

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Rodgers felt disrespected because the Packers were clearly only a piece or two away from being a legit championship contender. The Packers decided he was wrong, and basically told him he had an expiry date by taking what they think was his successor. Obviously those hard feelings were amplified when the Packers came up just short again in the NFC title game.

Rodgers is definitely being a bit of a prick here and he might take things a bit too personally, but I understand the logic at least.

Favre was basically the same age Rodgers is when they drafted him. So Rodgers himself should understand what they are doing - hell he sat for 3 full seasons before taking over. Does he really think the same wont happen for Love?

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Favre was basically the same age Rodgers is when they drafted him. So Rodgers himself should understand what they are doing - hell he sat for 3 full seasons before taking over. Does he really think the same wont happen for Love?

Favre kept talking all this shit about retirement. Rodgers hasn't. The Packers are another idiotic organization who made the recent mistake of not treating their superstar QB like they're management. That's the way forward. These guys play the most important position in sports. Treat them like it.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Favre kept talking all this shit about retirement. Rodgers hasn't. The Packers are another idiotic organization who made the recent mistake of not treating their superstar QB like they're management. That's the way forward. These guys play the most important position in sports. Treat them like it.

It's an organization which only recently started signing free agents. They aren't exactly ahead of the curve.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
The packers GM is such an idiot.
It has to be said
he has himself to blame for this whole situation. That's it in my opinion.
If he just told aaron at the draft, we are interested in this young QB as a backup

now he is going after other teams for tampering

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The packers GM is such an idiot.
It has to be said
he has himself to blame for this whole situation. That's it in my opinion.
If he just told aaron at the draft, we are interested in this young QB as a backup

now he is going after other teams for tampering
I think for Rodgers, it's not really about Love, as Rodgers has already seen him in camp and knows he is not close to being able to replace him on the field or even being a top half of the league starter for another year or two. For Aaron, it's got to be, GB didn't add help to their roster by taking Love over another position. Doesn't have to be WR, but the Defence needed help in the run again or the secondary this past season and they spent that pick on a QB who didn't see the field.

In the NFL, the goal is to win when you have a good enough team to do so.

Reactions: Breakers

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
You've had the guy for 15 years. You deal with him every day. How have you not learned to work with him? What an absolute bunch of assclowns over there. It's like Matt Lafleur not communicating with Rodgers in the title game and settling for a FG. How?! And now look at them, they're about to blow an all-time quarterback.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
This whole thing will blow over the same way Wilson did. Nothing will come of it and it will die out eventually.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
If I am the Packers, I let him sit and rot if he doesn't report and decides to retire rather than return.

I know it won't feel good to lose a player like Rodgers for nothing.

But you can't cave and give him exactly what he wants. Or else you essentially tell every other player that you will eventually cave if they put enough pressure on you. You need to take a firm stand if you are Packers, even if it hurts you in the short-term.

Rodgers only has couple of good seasons left, so it isn't like this is losing a 29 year old in his prime for nothing. Plus, Rodgers hasn't given the Packers multiple Super Bowls. He has given them 1 Super Bowl and then a handful of disappointing playoff performances.

Let him sit and rot, and let him waste whatever time he has left in his career.

There are things more important than your win-loss record in 2021-2023 (or however long Rodgers has left).

One thing that is more important is not allowing one player to hold your team hostage and have more control than the General Manager.

Luckily for Green Bay, they are a top brand in North American sports. They aren't the Arizona Coyotes, where years of losing might threaten the franchise. They will have fans and attendance no matter how good they are in the standings.

I read somewhere that they have sold-out every game since 1960, regardless of how good they are.

That is even more reason for Green Bay to tell Aaron Rodgers "You either play here or you retire to host Jeopardy full-time; it is your choice and you aren't going to tell us what to do or put a gun to our head. We are worth almost $3.0 billion as a franchise, and that number will only increase. We will be around longer than you and are more valuable than you are. So play or sit.".

The Green Bay Packers are bigger than Aaron Rodgers. The Super Bowl Trophy is named after their legendary coach. I would send Aaron Rodgers a message indicating that fact, and tell him to retire if he doesn't want to play in Green Bay anymore.

Last edited:
Reactions: FMichael and fin8

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
Wow

I bought into it
Adam schefter essentially just admitted today that he made it up on draft day.
From what I have read, he didn't "make it up" on draft day.

He simply chose to report it on draft day, based on information that he had been gathering for awhile.

I don't think he was just making something up, the way a tabloid journalist would make something up.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
From what I have read, he didn't "make it up" on draft day.

He simply chose to report it on draft day, based on information that he had been gathering for awhile.

I don't think he was just making something up, the way a tabloid journalist would make something up.

I agree with Pat Mcafee though the wording of that tweet is garbage from schefter and completely inaccurate.
“Reigning MVP Aaron Rodgers is so disgruntled with the Green Bay Packers that he has told some within the organization that he does not want to return to the team, league and team sources told ESPN on Thursday”

He literally said he didn’t receive any DM’s, hints, emails or whatever.
That tweet is liked 150,000 times.
that wording in the final sentence is bullshit.

“on Thursday” essentially means, hey it’s Thursday, not that those things happened on Thursday.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
And the best way to know Schefter made it up is to go look at how the Packers and Rodgers both strongly denied the report.

Oh, they haven’t denied it.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Schefter probably picked that day to release it because it would get him and ESPN a shitload of attention with it being draft day.

Even if they manipulated when it came out there's definitely something going on in Green Bay. Rodgers has come out before when people claimed he wanted out and said it was a nonstory. He hasn't done that this time around.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
The organization admitted it was true.. as far as there being a rift and them flying out to talk to him.

But we are getting more reports from people who speak to Rodgers that while there's a rift, it's not impossible that he comes back.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
This is like the Favre situation all over again. Both are full of drama. Me guys. I remember Favre being upset because Green Bay never got a true number one receiver for him after Sharpe retired. Now Rodgers.

Rodgers has a top five receiver. He has good to great backs. One of the best O-lines. Their defense seemed formidable.

That said, this is a franchise that has been blessed at the QB spot for 30 years. And they've got...2 SB titles. That's a disgrace.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
If I am the Packers, I let him sit and rot if he doesn't report and decides to retire rather than return.

I know it won't feel good to lose a player like Rodgers for nothing.

But you can't cave and give him exactly what he wants. Or else you essentially tell every other player that you will eventually cave if they put enough pressure on you. You need to take a firm stand if you are Packers, even if it hurts you in the short-term.

Rodgers only has couple of good seasons left, so it isn't like this is losing a 29 year old in his prime for nothing. Plus, Rodgers hasn't given the Packers multiple Super Bowls. He has given them 1 Super Bowl and then a handful of disappointing playoff performances.

Let him sit and rot, and let him waste whatever time he has left in his career.

There are things more important than your win-loss record in 2021-2023 (or however long Rodgers has left).

One thing that is more important is not allowing one player to hold your team hostage and have more control than the General Manager.

Luckily for Green Bay, they are a top brand in North American sports. They aren't the Arizona Coyotes, where years of losing might threaten the franchise. They will have fans and attendance no matter how good they are in the standings.

I read somewhere that they have sold-out every game since 1960, regardless of how good they are.

That is even more reason for Green Bay to tell Aaron Rodgers "You either play here or you retire to host Jeopardy full-time; it is your choice and you aren't going to tell us what to do or put a gun to our head. We are worth almost $3.0 billion as a franchise, and that number will only increase. We will be around longer than you and are more valuable than you are. So play or sit.".

The Green Bay Packers are bigger than Aaron Rodgers. The Super Bowl Trophy is named after their legendary coach. I would send Aaron Rodgers a message indicating that fact, and tell him to retire if he doesn't want to play in Green Bay anymore.
So you would waste arguably the most valuable asset on the roster and get absolutely nothing back for him when you can get a return on the asset because of what? Pride?

The Green Bay Packers would be idiots if they chose to go this route.

Reactions: Avs_19

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
So you would waste arguably the most valuable asset on the roster and get absolutely nothing back for him when you can get a return on the asset because of what? Pride?

The Green Bay Packers would be idiots if they chose to go this route.
Sometimes it is fine to lose a battle, if you win the overall war.

You don't let a player control your entire team. It is that simple.

I would let Rodgers sit and rot, if he doesn't want to report to training camp.

It will hurt Green Bay's winning percentage over the next 3 years. But at least they don't let a 38 year old player control the team.

The Green Bay Packers are bigger than Aaron Rodgers. They are a bigger brand than he will ever be.

They don't need to cave to Rodgers and let him control things. He is really a big nobody in their overall revenue scheme of things.

A couple of MVP awards and only 1 Super Bowl? A losing record in NCF championship games?

And he thinks he is bigger than one of America's most beloved sports franchises?

He either has too big of an ego or is on drugs.

Rodgers is a big fat NOBODY in light of Packers revenues and history.

Rodgers could sit in his living room and do nothing but play Playstation, and the Packers will still sell-out every game.

He is a nobody compared to the Green Bay Packers.

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Sometimes it is fine to lose a battle, if you win the overall war.

You don't let a player control your entire team. It is that simple.

I would let Rodgers sit and rot, if he doesn't want to report to training camp.

It will hurt Green Bay's winning percentage over the next 3 years. But at least they don't let a 38 year old player control the team.

The Green Bay Packers are bigger than Aaron Rodgers. They are a bigger brand than he will ever be.

They don't need to cave to Rodgers and let him control things. He is really a big nobody in their overall revenue scheme of things.

A couple of MVP awards and only 1 Super Bowl? A losing record in NCF championship games?

And he thinks he is bigger than one of America's most beloved sports franchises?

He either has too big of an ego or is on drugs.

Rodgers is a big fat NOBODY in light of Packers revenues and history.

Rodgers could sit in his living room and do nothing but play Playstation, and the Packers will still sell-out every game.

He is a nobody compared to the Green Bay Packers.
Literally none of this is true.

Quarterbacks and owners control this league. The only difference is that the Packers don’t have an owner. Made it possible to nearly move the team out of Green Bay last time they didn’t have a quarterback.

Reactions: Avs_19

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->