NFL: Aaron Rodgers wants out of Green Bay? (not anymore?)

rkwittem

May 13, 2013
Fargo, ND
Getting past the "who has more power/leverage/etc." debate between the Packers vs. Rodgers.

I am wondering why so many people seem to be on the pro-Rodgers side.

Is it a case of "pro-player/anti-management-ownership" perspective that a lot of people have?

In a lot of cases in sports, it seems like many people side with players, because they are seen as less greedy or more likeable. So I am wondering if this is why people are supporting Rodgers.

If so, I am not sure if that applies to this situation. Because mostly anyone who has ever gotten to know Rodgers on a personal-level will say that he is a dick (even if they don't use that word). He even treats his own family like garbage.

So I wonder why he has the number of fans that he does.
Because Rodgers' points have merit to them, he backed them up with evidence, and he wasn't yelling and screaming about it. His tone was calm, sensible, and measured.

Why does he have fans? Well why does any great player have fans? They win games, have fun highlight reels, and are marketable.

His family stuff is his business and should never have been aired publicly. I have family I don't get along with. Should I be treated like a pariah for that?

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
We tune into NFL games to watch the best players perform athletic miracles, and Rodgers is one of the best. Rodgers is entertaining on and off the field. Fans love him because of that. I can’t believe this isn’t plainly obvious.

Because Rodgers' points have merit to them, he backed them up with evidence, and he wasn't yelling and screaming about it. His tone was calm, sensible, and measured.

Why does he have fans? Well why does any great player have fans? They win games, have fun highlight reels, and are marketable.

His family stuff is his business and should never have been aired publicly. I have family I don't get along with. Should I be treated like a pariah for that?

I don't see too much difference between how Aaron Rodgers has complained about the Packers and tried to strong-arm them vs. James Harden's behaviour towards the Rockets.

And it isn't like Rodgers is leaps and bounds ahead of Harden on the hierarchy of stars in each of their respective sports.

Harden entertains and makes highlight reel plays at the same level as Rodgers.

This isn't to defend James Harden, because I am not a fan of him.

But for years, it has seemed like Aaron Rodgers can do no wrong. I have seen segments of the media who have been Rodgers apologists for years.

I have never understood it. I rarely ever seen a star or NFL QB cause his team the types of headaches and drama that Rodgers has caused Green Bay over the last several years.

Maybe he learned from Favre? Favre was one of the rare players who matched Rodgers for acting like a complete diva, especially near the end with his "retire or not retire" merry-go-round.

Last edited:

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
Most of the drama Rodgers stirs up seems to have to do with him wanting the Packers to be better. Fans aren’t going to be mad at a guy who wants to win.
For me that is the key thing here. I was admittedly displeased at him in the offseason but his explanation was reasonable and came off as authentic. Considering some of the decisions the front office has made regarding offensive players, I am also very much inclined to agree with Rodgers about how they should include his input.

From a management point of view, I really dont see the harm in letting your franchise player have just a little say over the decisions that directly impact their play. We're talking about an elite QB who has won multiple MVPs and whose play has carried this team many times. If he wants a little more input over how offensive players are acquired then so be it. Its a small price to pay and arguably one with little downside. I also doubt it sets a precedent for other players to demand more input from the front office. If Green Bay develops another 3 time MVP, SB winning QB then I'm happy to give that guy some more input too. We're not talking about giving some run of the mill QB or player any influence here, we're talking about one of the top tier QBs in the league.

Reactions: Spring in Fialta

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Rodgers clearly also has a problem with how veteran players have been shown the door, and it was not all that discreet that he feels Adams is being treated the same way as well. Not to say anything about them drafting Jordan Love while trying to win a Super Bowl.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Most of the drama Rodgers stirs up seems to have to do with him wanting the Packers to be better. Fans aren’t going to be mad at a guy who wants to win.

Yeah, he complains about wanting the team to be better while constantly renegotiating to take a bigger piece of the cap pie every 2 years.

There's talk and there's actions, his actions dont match is words.

Also, his "no help" in his career is a litany of top 5-10 WR, 2 Top 10 RB and good TE...and almost always had at least 4 of the below on the team at the same time.

Nelson
Cobb
Adams
Lacy
Aaron Jones
Graham
Bennett

And for all the talk about his defenses letting him down in the playoffs, he hasn't exactly helped them out in the losses with 13 turnovers in the losses. He also have never (0-43) come back in the 4th quarter against a team with a winning record. That speaks volumes

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Yeah, he complains about wanting the team to be better while constantly renegotiating to take a bigger piece of the cap pie every 2 years.

Also, his "no help" in his career is a litany of top 5-10 WR, 2 Top 10 RB and good TE...and almost always had at least 4 of the below on the team at the same time.

Nelson
Cobb
Adams
Lacy
Aaron Jones
Graham
Bennett

And for all the talk about his defenses letting him down in the playoffs, he hasn't exactly helped them out in the losses with 13 turnovers in the losses. He also have never (0-43) come back in the 4th quarter against a team with a winning record. That speaks volumes

Did it to Dallas in the playoffs twice

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven

Nelson
Cobb
Adams
Lacy
Aaron Jones
Graham
Bennett

His point about help is the team not keeping players. Of that list, how many were paid to stay?

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
He wanted them to take offensive players in the 1st forever, they then took a qb instead.

It’s not unfair at all for him to want to step out of the way and go elsewhere.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Getting past the "who has more power/leverage/etc." debate between the Packers vs. Rodgers.

I am wondering why so many people seem to be on the pro-Rodgers side.

Is it a case of "pro-player/anti-management-ownership" perspective that a lot of people have?

In a lot of cases in sports, it seems like many people side with players, because they are seen as less greedy or more likeable. So I am wondering if this is why people are supporting Rodgers.

If so, I am not sure if that applies to this situation. Because mostly anyone who has ever gotten to know Rodgers on a personal-level will say that he is a dick (even if they don't use that word). He even treats his own family like garbage.

So I wonder why he has the number of fans that he does.

Forgetting the athletic factor, I find his position to be well thought-out and a necessary shift regarding the top guys playing the most important position in sports. I don't believe 'Shut up and play' is a position franchise players should be in.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea

Nelson
Cobb
Adams
Lacy
Aaron Jones
Graham
Bennett

Martellus Bennett played 7 games with GB

Jimmy Graham 2 years

Eddie Lacy 3 1/2 years

Jordy Nelson was a regular starter for 6 years

Cobb was never a top 5-10 WR in the league

Adams and Jones are top guys at their positions for the last 5 or so years

Rodgers rarely if ever had 4 or more top weapons on the team at the same time

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

After two years in the league and zero winning seasons. But Green Bay can’t be bothered to run things by a future HOF’er

Reactions: donghabs98

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC

After two years in the league and zero winning seasons. But Green Bay can’t be bothered to run things by a future HOF’er

The most important thing in all of this is that neither QB is asking for veto power. Like, I can't see what the downside is to what Rodgers is asking unless he's willfully leaving requests out - such as having veto power on offensive personnel decisions.

Reactions: NJDevs26

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

Interesting how this all worked out. In the end, despite all the noise the Packers hadn’t seen from him - ever, all year, and Rodgers deciding he was all-in on being a huge dick on purpose (as opposed to the hearsay some assumed from him. Now everyone seems content.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com

Interesting how this all worked out. In the end, despite all the noise the Packers hadn’t seen from him - ever, all year, and Rodgers deciding he was all-in on being a huge dick on purpose (as opposed to the hearsay some assumed from him. Now everyone seems content.

Other teams also probably do not want to commit that much cap to a drama queen.

if he is your drama queen, fine. If you need to bring him to your organization and hope you catch lightning in a bottle... meh.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Maybe he should play better in big games and there would be less drama. He wasn't good enough against the Bucs last year and even worse against the 49ers this year. If he wins=less drama.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Adams and Jones are top guys at their positions for the last 5 or so years

Rodgers rarely if ever had 4 or more top weapons on the team at the same time
That's exactly what Mahomes has had for 4 years (2 top guys at their position) and he's been to 2 Superbowls. Rodgers is an underachiever when it counts most.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Maybe he should play better in big games and there would be less drama. He wasn't good enough against the Bucs last year and even worse against the 49ers this year. If he wins=less drama.
Hard to blame him for last year when they kicked that field goal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->