NFL: Aaron Hernandez found to have "severe" CTE

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I don't think it'll ever be outlawed, but you have to wonder at what point does the breaking point come for people wanting to play the game?

You already got younger players retiring out of fear of the long term damage and lots of parents keeping kids away from football. At what point do we get to the point of no return, or so to speak?

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I don't think the issue is people watching but people playing. I could see a lot of changes at the youth level and less participation. That's almost inevitable.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
It's a scary escalation. Used to be we thought CTE just caused disability and depression.

Now we find out CTE can cause someone to kill other human beings gangsta style.

Zilo44

Jul 4, 2012
It's a scary escalation. Used to be we thought CTE just caused disability and depression.

It might not be a coincidence in Hernandez's case, but I suspect many murderers are not diagnosed with CTE. Maybe he was just a violent person to begin with. He was involved in some shady things in college and he had received even less headshot at that time (when he was 19-20 years old).

Btw I'm just speculating. I have no deep knowledge about CTE.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014

I don't think anyone is implying CTE influenced what he did. But to be that young (retired 23) and have such a bad case should add to the pause of playing football.

It might not be a coincidence in Hernandez's case, but I suspect many murderers are not diagnosed with CTE. Maybe he was just a violent person to begin with. He was involved in some shady things in college and he had received even less headshot at that time (when he was 19-20 years old).

Btw I'm just speculating. I have no deep knowledge about CTE.

He drove someone miles out of town, executed them with a bullet to the back of the head and buried them and destroyed evidence. That has nothing to do with CTE.

I could see CTE playing a role in the Javon Belcher incident where you just lash out and implode but definitely not in Hernandez's case where everything was calculated.

The point of the article is that a 27 year old who last played at 23 has one of the more severe cases of CTE found to date. Currently the only testing methods are post mortem. I would venture to say there are similar cases right now if we were able to test for it with the person still alive.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
I don't think it'll ever be outlawed, but you have to wonder at what point does the breaking point come for people wanting to play the game?

You already got younger players retiring out of fear of the long term damage and lots of parents keeping kids away from football. At what point do we get to the point of no return, or so to speak?

The chance of making millions(and getting out of a bad situation for some) > worries of brain damage.

There will always be enough people IMO willing to play. Maybe more middle/upper class families may prevent their sons from playing, but IMO it won't affect quality.

I don't think we are there yet.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
There are lots of people who work far more dangerous jobs than football for far less money.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
With original thread gone as result of migration figured I would put this here

Good for the Lloyd family and good on MA SC on striking down that absurd law

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
Has anyone ever listened to the podcast that sports illustrated did about Hernandez? It’s a six parter and was really well done I thought.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
So, anyone watch the Netflix mini-series? Being linked to another murder prior to his huge contract with the Pats and playing a season is absolutely insane.

I have so many mixed feelings on Hernandez.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
So, anyone watch the Netflix mini-series? Being linked to another murder prior to his huge contract with the Pats and playing a season is absolutely insane.

I have so many mixed feelings on Hernandez.

Ray Lewis played another 10 years :dunno:

I think Hernandez wanting to be a gangster had more to do with it than CTE. For some reason he couldn't just be his normal self and decided being a criminal is more fun.

Pisses me off that he was born with God Given talent and threw it away.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Ray Lewis played another 10 years :dunno:

I think Hernandez wanting to be a gangster had more to do with it than CTE. For some reason he couldn't just be his normal self and decided being a criminal is more fun.

Pisses me off that he was born with God Given talent and threw it away.

CTE wasn't the main reason, but it definitely played a factor. He's had the worse CTE of anyone since they've been studying it. When you look at the symptoms, that was Hernandez to a tee. There was just so much in his life that led to the end result. I agree with you though, that he loved to live that secondary lifestyle. He just got in too deep too fast, and the only end result was him in jail, or dead - he did both.

Too many people want to just pass him off as a terrible person and this and that, but in order to understand how people become these things, you have to try and piece together what has gone on in their life. Otherwise we will never be able to help reduce future murderers, if we don't try and understand them. Hernandez is just another list of murderers who had no support system - when his dad passed it seemed to send him into a whirlwind.

His murders are just so....weird. They were on impulse and were done over the smallest reasons. I wasn't even over drugs or guns like an actual gangster would be beefing about. Just odd. Crazy to think if a few things went just a little different, he's probably still here today. If he was drafted by a team out West, he likely never runs around with Alexander Bradley.

Also that radio station that joked about his sexuality, I hope they are out of jobs. I'm not overly sensitive to that kind of stuff but that was some really f***ed up shit to say, about anyone, on a pubic platform.

Hernandez killing two people then playing an NFL season is the craziest thing ever done in sports. Just insane.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Serial killer trapped in a football players body :sarcasm:

In all seriousness, its good you mentioned his dad passing. Its one thing for your mother to remarry or meet someone so quickly afterward (usually not good for the kids, especially if they are teenagers), but for it to be your cousins husband?????? Whom she was still married to! ............... thats SUPER f***ed up.

Stuff like that will kill someones emotions and really screw them up.

Reactions: PG Canuck

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
It’s a mix of trauma, enablement, drug abuse and severe brain trauma. A terrible mix that, while not only a result of CTE, makes an already extreme case of the disease even worse. No rational person would do the things he did, so it’s logical to learn that a mix of those above factors caused him to be severely irrational.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
It’s a mix of trauma, enablement, drug abuse and severe brain trauma. A terrible mix that, while not only a result of CTE, makes an already extreme case of the disease even worse. No rational person would do the things he did, so it’s logical to learn that a mix of those above factors caused him to be severely irrational.

Also Hernandez was also questioning his sexuality as well, who knew he swung both ways.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad