Aaron Ekblad

Chef de Cuisine

Mar 15, 2015
Haven't heard anything on this guy for a while.. how's he doing? Seems to be putting up respectable numbers. Still on track to be the Chris Pronger TSN was saying he'd be?

548b5015e13fa7d0c862fc08be706704.png

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
As one of the few players to gain early entry into the CHL the spotlight was on him from a young age. Getting picked #1 made it the spotlight bigger.

He & McDavid were the last two exceptional status guys to actually be worthy of it. Sean Day was allowed so he would play for the Canadian junior team (lolz, ended up a 3rd round pick :facepalm: & wasn't even the top pick in the OHL draft ) then Joe Veleno was decent in junior but struggled at first (picked 30th overall)..

I still pay attention to junior hockey, but was really into it when Ekblad started so I still recall all the hype around him. He's been good but thought he'd be much better at this point.

Reactions: shello

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
He's a good player, still young. I think he can be as good as someone like Alex Pietrangelo. Another guy who isn't an elite skater, similar skill sets.

He has a high goals to assists ratio for a d man.

Probably from Keith Yandle stealing away a bunch of PPA he could be getting. Not knocking Yandle, he's great on the PP and probably better on it than Ekblad with his passing ability.

Reactions: Dominance

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Classic case of an early physical maturity. Kid looked 30 when he was drafted. I still think he's pretty good and will get better but as mentioned his skating isn't good enough to be a clear #1.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
The hockey gods are fair and just. You're either blessed with real elite skill or you're blessed with beauty. Just look at Crosby or RNH or Mackinnon too.

Unless you're someone like Joel Lundqvist or Marcel Hossa getting the bad end in both the looks and talent department relative to bro....

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
He reminds me a lot of Jay Bouwmeester. Same level of hype during the draft and coming into the league. Jay never materialized as that elite Franchise Dman everyone thought could happen. I suspect Ekblad will take a similar career path. Not that there is anything wrong with that it's just that Ekblad isn't going to be that Elite Franchise Dman everyone thought. Instead he'll be a solid top 4 Dman.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I'm pretty sure losing to Danault take him away from being like Pronger.

Not worthy of 1st overall, but he's a solid dman.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Right now, I'd consider him a good/average #2 but he has been pretty sound this year with Weegar.
He looks more calm in his own end but still prone to getting beat wide with quicker players and losing his man out front.
The mistakes are slowly going away every year though (only 8 PIMS), he'd take a lot of silly penalties in years prior.
Ya +/- isn't a great stat anymore but he leads the team at +6 with the 4th worst team GA/G in the league.

His puck handling has got a bit better and skating is a touch faster but he'll never be a smooth skating defenseman.
He never lived up to the flashy #1 D pick but has become a solid two-way D and still think he can hit 50+ points if he's on the 1st PP unit while getting more recognition as a low end #1.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->