Confirmed with Link: Aaron Cohen out as President and CEO

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I don't really care about this. Only natural that Meruelo will want to bring in his own people once he gets a feel for this thing.

Also, Cohen could do a thousand good things for the community but it wouldn't hold a candle to a decent run of on-ice success. Fix that problem first.
Chayka gets promoted to President and ChiaPet comes in as GM.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I don't really care about this. Only natural that Meruelo will want to bring in his own people once he gets a feel for this thing.

Also, Cohen could do a thousand good things for the community but it wouldn't hold a candle to a decent run of on-ice success. Fix that problem first.
Then why is RT and Chayka still here?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think it is great that the team is making changes, it shows the owner is not afraid to nuke out people. I usually trust a self made billionaire with decisions about management. He has not even owned the team for a year and he is cleaning house. Looking forward to see who the axe falls on next.
It's fine to make changes, as long as they are the right ones. So far, unless a stud comes in as the replacement, this is a disaster, especially if ChiaPet is the one.

Reactions: Heldig

87turbobuick

Jan 13, 2011
Phoenix
It's fine to make changes, as long as they are the right ones. So far, unless a stud comes in as the replacement, this is a disaster, especially if ChiaPet is the one.

He was the COO with no hockey involvement. Was the voice of the Yotes on the radio, big deal. He was like Tom Rowley or Derrick Hall, they could tell you that hotdogs will be better this year or beer prices will be lower. This is a nothing burger.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
He was the COO with no hockey involvement. Was the voice of the Yotes on the radio, big deal. He was like Tom Rowley or Derrick Hall, they could tell you that hotdogs will be better this year or beer prices will be lower. This is a nothing burger.
Maybe no on ice involvement but he was President so he has a lot of say of the off ice involvement. From the outside looking in I thought he was doing a good job. Maybe Meruelo wants someone with more hockey experience to run the franchise, and I would be fine with that, but I hope it is not Chayka.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
My thinking is that this is less a culture move and more a "Save money on salaries during COVID-19" move, but maybe I'm just cynical. Don't know why I'd be that way, but...

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
It’s one of personality, philosophy, or performance. Is this the buck stops here on #stretchgate?

Reactions: Jakey53

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Then why is RT and Chayka still here?

He knows business, but does not necessarily know hockey. Could be he thinks they are doing fine. Or, maybe he's waiting for the end of the season. We might still have a playoff tournament to attend.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
It’s one of personality, philosophy, or performance. Is this the buck stops here on #stretchgate?

No. Cohen had nothing to do with that. Cohen was on the business development side of things. He was the one who was instrumental in helping getting the Arizona Kachinas girls hockey development program off the ground, along with another dozen or so local hockey initiatives that helped boost Arizona hockey to all those impressive numbers that got passed around in the past couple of years.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
No. Cohen had nothing to do with that. Cohen was on the business development side of things. He was the one who was instrumental in helping getting the Arizona Kachinas girls hockey development program off the ground, along with another dozen or so local hockey initiatives that helped boost Arizona hockey to all those impressive numbers that got passed around in the past couple of years.
So it’s philosophy or personality. Unless like rt said he left on his own.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse

Luckily this type of infrastructure and community building will still be around even though he is not. Just have to hope the next person doesn't completely ignore the foundation Aaron built and continue building it.

Reactions: MayDayMayDay

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
My thinking is that this is less a culture move and more a "Save money on salaries during COVID-19" move, but maybe I'm just cynical. Don't know why I'd be that way, but...
No way.

You don't know that. Cohen said more than once that he and Chayka work closely together.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
If you fire Chayka and Sullivan and replace them with Lombardi and Futa, you don’t have to worry about what comes next. They’ll just fix this mess. Automatic. Easy button.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Morgan adds a little more context into this in his latest mailbag article.

My understanding is that this was a negotiated but forced departure. In a nutshell, new owner Alex Meruelo wanted his own people in place (CFO Gregg Olson is also out). As I noted in the story, when a new owner comes in, it is common for him to replace executives within the organization. Meruelo does not have a hockey background so it made sense that his first changes came on the business side.

There has been some suggestion that Cohen’s inability to secure an arena deal hastened his departure, but let’s be honest: Getting a new arena built in this climate, and in this market, is no easy task. Many have tried. None have succeeded to date.

The Coyotes have not outlined their community plans in the wake of Cohen’s departure, but I would expect them to continue those efforts and build off what he began.

Morgan goes on to say he expects Meruelo to bring in a CEO he's familiar with and a different skill set. He doesn't expect any changes to the hockey ops side at this time.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Morgan adds a little more context into this in his latest mailbag article.

Morgan goes on to say he expects Meruelo to bring in a CEO he's familiar with and a different skill set. He doesn't expect any changes to the hockey ops side at this time.
and maybe get an arena deal done? Although, given the financial challenges this team (and many teams) will face, survival is priority #1.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
"I don’t think Chiarelli will be joining the organization, which should answer the remainder of your questions." - Craig Morgan from today's mailbag article in the Athletic.

CONFIRMED: Chiarelli is coming.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
CONFIRMED: Chiarelli is coming.
That does happen to Craig.

That Dave Tippett, Mike Smith, Nik Hjalmarsson, Stepan & Raanta whirlwind was a really tough patch for Craig getting absolutely scooped and fed nonsense by the org.

In his defense, he was on vacation and the org was feeding him BS. But the national guys weren’t in town either. And they still managed to get the scoops.

Mosby

Ready for Yeti
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I like Lombardi generally but he made a lot of big missteps in his last year or two in LA.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
and maybe get an arena deal done? Although, given the financial challenges this team (and many teams) will face, survival is priority #1.

Patterson would have been the guy for that. He had the local connections. But left to go back to his consulting firm and Cohen replaced him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->