AAA Draft Sign-Up Thread

Velociraptor

May 12, 2007
Big Smoke
Guys, this by no means makes him eligible for the ATD if he joins here. But VI's presence in the AAA would make it a better draft. Does anyone object to him participating in this? I do not. If you do, you don't have to say so publicly, just send me a PM.

I'm fine with it.

plusandminus

Mar 7, 2011
The Yaroslavl Lokomotiv would certainly be interested in joining this draft, if you'd let me. :D

First time reader here, and maybe I'm misunderstanding, but I surely think of that grin as misplaced and disrespectful. What happened with the team was a tragedy, and have affected - and will continue to affect - many persons throughout Europe. Very insensitive to joke about it, I think.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
plusandminus has made an incorrect assumption about VI and how he feels about the ATD, MLD and AAA drafts. They are certainly not just some "toss off" to him. Although some names take on a more "jokey" feel, a quick look back at past drafts would show that VI's team names have always had historical significance. I can assure you his choice of team name was intended purely as a tribute and remembrance. i support it fully.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Although some names take on a more "jokey" feel, a quick look back at past drafts would show that VI's team names have always had historical significance. I can assure you his choice of team name was intended purely as a tribute and remembrance.
I have always spoken out against jokey and fictional names as I believe in honoring history. I am proud of the historical teams I've represented: Halifax Eurekas! the star team of the first colored/black hockey player league, Kingston RMC Paladins the military school team that lost many of its soldiers in The Great War, similarly with Smith's Falls Fusiliers honoring the fallen soldiers with their team nickname. Other historically significant team names I've chosen to represent and remember include those of the oldest onging rivalry Cambridge Tabs and Oxford Dark Blues, the McGill Redmen, Penticton Vees, etc.

I was the first to post my sympathies on the chat board here after the recent plane crash, including pictures of the playing cards of the NHL players we lost. I started a thread on the History board in remembrance of the Czechoslovakian plane crash of 1948 to get some more info and discussion of that past plane tragedy.

I am the last person to joke about the tragedy. Hell, I PM'd a poster on the Mock Drafts subboard asking about his comment about "the gods must be mad" that he wrote the very next day after the crash, saying I though it insensistive. He said he was not joking and that he didn't mean anything by it.

The ONLY reasons I put a grin :D next to my sentence was to

1) mimick the form of Modo's post, to try and act like I'm in the same situation;
The Dawson City Nuggets might be interested in joining this draft, if you'll let me. :D
and
2) indicate what a keener I am for the drafts and that even though I was to sit out the drafts for a year, I really really would like back in.

plusandminus

Mar 7, 2011
I have always spoken out against jokey and fictional names as I believe in honoring history. I am proud of the historical teams I've represented: Halifax Eurekas! the star team of the first colored/black hockey player league, Kingston RMC Paladins the military school team that lost many of its soldiers in The Great War, similarly with Smith's Falls Fusiliers honoring the fallen soldiers with their team nickname. Other historically significant team names I've chosen to represent and remember include those of the oldest onging rivalry Cambridge Tabs and Oxford Dark Blues, the McGill Redmen, Penticton Vees, etc.

I was the first to post my sympathies on the chat board here after the recent plane crash, including pictures of the playing cards of the NHL players we lost. I started a thread on the History board in remembrance of the Czechoslovakian plane crash of 1948 to get some more info and discussion of that past plane tragedy.

I am the last person to joke about the tragedy. Hell, I PM'd a poster on the Mock Drafts subboard asking about his comment about "the gods must be mad" that he wrote the very next day after the crash, saying I though it insensistive. He said he was not joking and that he didn't mean anything by it.

The ONLY reasons I put a grin :D next to my sentence was to

1) mimick the form of Modo's post, to try and act like I'm in the same situation;

and
2) indicate what a keener I am for the drafts and that even though I was to sit out the drafts for a year, I really really would like back in.

Thanks for clarifying.
I just wrote about how it looked like, without knowing the background and without having read though every ATD thread since the beginning of the ATD. Now that you've explained I think other new readers here understand your post.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Unsure of rules,...

Last year's AAA Draft rules worked well:

The draft will last exactly 24 days, ONE pick per day. We will draft a full 24-man roster. You must draft 2 goalies, 6 defensemen, 12 forwards and a coach, with 3 additional picks to be used for whatever position(s) you want.

Trading of picks is NOT allowed. After the draft there will be a 48-hour period to do trades or add/drop.

There is NO time limit. We will make one (1) pick per day every day anytime during the day from 9:00 am eastern each day. If you miss a day then make up the pick the following day(s).

Suggestion: POST A REASON OR STATISTIC OR DESCRIPTION WITH YOUR PICK to aid discussion and let us know a bit about the pick, as many may not be household names, especially from other eras.

Any player from any league or era are eligible as long as they were not drafted in the ATD 2010 or MLD 2010.

Player selection should be based on what they have done (the 'next best' draft, so to speak, the greatest all-time careers not honored by being picked in the main ATD 2010 draft), and not what they will do in the future, though it's understood that there is a bit of projection with players whose careers were cut short by injury.

Absolutely no dropping of players: once drafted they are drafted. At the end of the draft there will be a 48-hour period to trade or add/drop players, at which point a team could trade or else: pick up an undrafted UFA and simply discard a draft pick.

The number of teams that make the playoffs will depend on the number that qualify for the postseason. To qualify, a team must meet this all-time draft roster condition: Have on the team at least ONE player from each of the following time periods:

1939 or earlier
1940-1965
1966-1979
1980-1993
1994-2010

The very first game ever played in a top pro league defines which time period for the required condition (so, an eighties player whose NHL or SEL rookie season started in 1979 would meet the 1966-79 time period requirement).

NO active/nonretired pro player is to be drafted unless he is at least 30 years of age or else has 300 professional games played. This is to avoid ridiculous claims to hockey legacy for present day youngsters.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
NO active/nonretired pro player is to be drafted unless he is at least 30 years of age or else has 300 professional games played. This is to avoid ridiculous claims to hockey legacy for present day youngsters.

This rule was abandoned midway through the MLD.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
In terms of the order... Is it first come, first serve each day?
Yes. After 1400+ picks, there's very little jostlin' for the same guy on the same day. It has worked smoothly for several depth drafts on this subboard, but feel free to administer time clocks if you think that better.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Yep, no draft order, and draft guys with <300 GP at your own peril.

For the record, I will have no part in administrating this. New arrangements at work mean I have no hfboards for 2/3 of my waking hours.

VI... are you getting my messages about your book order or what?

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
So if I understand correctly, each day we basically pick one player for our team, regardless of order?
That's been the AAA and AA way of doing it and it's worked well. This ain't the ATD or MLD where there are some obvious candidates for 1st overall pick. In fact, there has never been two teams trying to post the same AAA or AA player at the same time. If it really matters to you to pick early then post at 9:00 am eastern (not 8:59 a.m., don't jump the gun - no one ever has, everyone has honored the system) or else submit a shortlist and it'll be posted at exactly 9am (by me in the past, I could again help out in that regard, or whomever administers could do so).

There is NO time limit. We will make one (1) pick per day every day anytime during the day from 9:00 am eastern each day. If you miss a day then make up the pick the following day(s).

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
That's been the AAA and AA way of doing it and it's worked well. This ain't the ATD or MLD where there are some obvious candidates for 1st overall pick. In fact, there has never been two teams trying to post the same AAA or AA player at the same time. If it really matters to you to pick early then post at 9:00 am eastern (not 8:59 a.m., don't jump the gun - no one ever has, everyone has honored the system) or else submit a shortlist and it'll be posted at exactly 9am (by me in the past, I could again help out in that regard, or whomever administers could do so).

Well, technically not, but at least 3 teams wanted Jason Allison as their first pick in AAA draft 2010 and 70s got him by posting first.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Well, technically not, but at least 3 teams wanted Jason Allison as their first pick in AAA draft 2010 and 70s got him by posting first.
Oh, I'd forgotten about that (I wasn't one of the three ;). Barlow was my man!).

Well, if Velociraptor wants to administer a time clock, it's no big deal, is it? If there are any concerns: Maybe a clock for the first eight rounds? Then a pick a day afterwards. That would be the best of both worlds.

Rob Scuderi

Sep 3, 2009
I'd be very interested in joining as the Quad City Mallards if you guys are still looking for some more.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I'd be very interested in joining as the Quad City Mallards if you guys are still looking for some more.
:clap: Welcome!

1. Velociraptor - St. John's Ice Caps
2. BiLLY_ShOE1721 - Philadelphia Sting
3. seventieslord - Saskatoon Sheiks
4. Reen Machine - Montreal Jacks of Diamond
5. tony d - Garnish Pride
6. Modo - Dawson City Nuggets
7. jkrx - Detroit Cougars
8. Bring Back Scuderi - Quad City Mallards

That's at least eight teams for an easy playoff format! Maybe shoot for 12?

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
yes! we have 8... and no one has said no to VI yet either, so we likely have 9. Ten if you assume that someone with only the time to be a co-GM joins up with Dave. this is awesome.

markrander87

Jan 22, 2010
I can be a co-Gm or assistant GM for a new guy if they are looking to bounce a couple of ideas or questions my way. For whatever reason I took on the head coach position at my old university for the lacrosse team, these 7am practices then 9-5pm work shift are killer. Very excited to see these new GM's step, welcome aboard.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
in jacks of diamond , does diamond need a s?
jacks of diamonds or jacks of diamond?

also , when does it start? oct 1st ?

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
There are actual Jacks teams:

Inglewood Jacks ;)

27524_155979630917_9027_s.jpg

SDSU Jacks

Cleveland Jacks

cjl_web.jpg

NAU Ice Jacks

NorthernArizonaUniversity.gif

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I think it's best I sit out the whole year as originally planned.
You guys have 8 teams already, maybe more.
Have a good draft!
Hope to see you in MLD 2012.
Until then, take care!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad