AAA Draft Sign-Up Thread

Velociraptor

May 12, 2007
Big Smoke
Unsure of rules, but thought I'd get a head count of who is in. Me and seventies discussed we'd be happy with ten teams. So we'll see how the recruitment goes. As of right now, we plan on beginning on October 1st, 2011

Velociraptor - St. John's Ice Caps
BiLLY_ShOE1721 - Philadelphia Sting
seventieslord - Regina Pat Canadians
Reen Machine - Montreal Jack of Diamonds
tony d - Garnish Pride
Modo - Dawson City Nuggets
jkrx - Detroit Cougars
Bring Back Scuderi - Quad City Mallards
DaveG & VanIslander - HC Davos
TheDevilMadeMe & chaosrevolver - TBD

Looking for/to be a co-manager: markrander87

Last edited by a moderator:

Velociraptor

May 12, 2007
Big Smoke
I'll take the reins of my new hometown team, the St. John's Ice Caps

StJohnsIceCaps_zoomLG_07291.jpg

vecens24

Jun 1, 2009
I will not be participating. I'll be taking GREs, lots of credit hours, and trying to pass an advanced Portuguese test. Plate is a little full and I'm a little burned out. I want to be ready for the big boy in January.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I didn't really enjoy the AAA draft last year - I felt that when we get this low, there's a tendency to go searching for obscure stats to create artificial distinctions between players.

But I'll be following what you guys do. There are definitely at least a few players and coaches left who are worth remembering. The rare finds (such as when my partner Dreakmur "discovered" Jiri Lala in the AAA and VI "discovered" Billy Breen in the AA) are what make it worth doing this thing IMO.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
to be 100% honest im just doing this to pass time until the next ATD.

wont put that much effort into it.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
The rare finds (such as when my partner Dreakmur "discovered" Jiri Lala in the AAA and VI "discovered" Billy Breen in the AA) are what make it worth doing this thing IMO.
I agree.

BTW, I also "discovered" the captain of your MLD 2011 championship Eden Hall Warriors last year: Walt Buswell :naughty: not to mention Bingo Kampman from MLD 2011 finalist Regina Capitals. I was primed to announce further discoveries this year, but alas, I shall next year after I've paid my dues. I've had plenty of time for research reading this year!

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
gotta love when you find a guy one year then the next he moves up to being a solid MLDer if not outright to the ATD like Eldebrink did from the team Tony and I put together.

anyway, I'm in if someone wants a co-GM, but with the schedule I have for work and practicing/performing with a couple ensembles I just don't have the same research time I did before to justify running a team solo.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I agree.

BTW, I also "discovered" the captain of your MLD 2011 championship Eden Hall Warriors last year: Walt Buswell :naughty: not to mention Bingo Kampman from MLD 2011 finalist Regina Capitals. I was primed to announce further discoveries this year, but alas, I shall next year after I've paid my dues. I've had plenty of time for research reading this year!

Buswell and Kampman became excellent picks once the all-star voting came to light! (incredible for the AAA level - not that they will ever be there again)

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Buswell and Kampman became excellent picks once the all-star voting came to light! (incredible for the AAA level - not that they will ever be there again)
They were not AAA. They were in the AA. :naughty: Rounds 8 and 14 of the 2010 Double-A Draft to be exact (the same draft as Billy Breen, Alex Levinsky and another guy I was jacked to uncover but hasn't been drafted this year - yet).

The bios I presented on them last year made me excited about them without knowing at all all-star voting numbers.

Here are the 2010 Double-A Draft bios I'd done:

VanIslander said:
... defenseman Walt Buswell, the captain of the Canadiens in his 8th NHL season, 1939-40. He played at least 44 games a season for eight straight NHL seasons, with a very good 15 assist season and added 7 the following season, even scoring a couple of goals his last postseason despite having a reputation for staying at home.

Buswell_Walter_001.jpg

... always the model of consistency... a steady and reliable defenseman, ... solid, if unspectacular, play. He was at his best in his own end, where he used brains rather than brawn to defend his territory. A strong skater with a long reach, the 5-foot-11, 170-pounder was also one of the more durable rearguards...
http://ourhistory.canadiens.com/player/8445296

VanIslander said:
...defenseman Bingo Kampman, the ambidextrous stick wielder who won the Allan Cup in 1937 right before his 5 solid NHL seasons and won another Allan Cup in 1943 soon after joining the war effort. His 287 PIM in 189 NHL games is second only to Red Horner among Leafs in penalties for three of those five seasons. He was the Leafs top-scoring rearguard in 1939-40 with 6 goals and 15 points, and was second two other seasons with double digit points. He also scored a couple of assists in the 1942 Stanley Cup championship postseason as one of the Leafs top-3 rearguards. More significantly, he had a reputation for his physical strength and big hits. Bingo!

bingo.jpg

Kampman was a hard rock defenseman with Toronto in the 1940s, not afraid to throw big body checks or exchange pleasantries with NHL's toughest fighters. His penchant for the physical game apparently earned him his famous nickname.

Kampman was as strong as an ox. Sometimes the on-ice Hercules even used his strength for his benefit away from the rink. More than once Kampman engaged in parlor tricks, winning bar room bets with his teammates by lifting tables high off of the ground with nothing more than his teeth!

Kampman was a bit like a modern day Ed Jovanovski, although Kampman was not nearly as gifted in the skating department. Still, he liked to rush the puck out of his zone, rumbling through each zone in burly although sometimes aimless fashion. He didn't score all that often, as his 14 tallies in 189 career games suggests, but his rushes were described as exciting and memorable.

Dit Clapper, the great Boston Bruin, certainly remembered one rush in particular. As Kampman entered the zone Clapper engaged him along the wall in a routine play. The two fell to the ice. Kampman got up, but Clapper was left lying on the ice in a pool of his own blood. Kampman's skate accidentally sliced Clapper's achillies tendon.

Kampman helped the Leafs with the Stanley Cup in 1942, but that would be the last he would play with them. He was enlisted in Canada's military efforts in World War II, serving in Ottawa and Nova Scotia while continuing to play senior hockey.

Upon his discharge Kampman, like so many Leafs of the early 40s, found his old roster spot taken by a younger player. Kampman continued to play on in various minor and senior leagues until 1950
http://mapleleafslegends.blogspot.com/2009/12/bingo-kampman.html

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
That kind of terminology can be used to describe a lot of nondescript 3rd pairing modern defensemen. Obviously the fact that they frequently showed up in allstar voting shows that these attributes were so profound that they were considered among the better players of their day. Without that, what makes them demonstrably different from richard matvichuk and curt giles? Without that proof, they were aaa/aa picks. In retrospect, they were incredible picks but no one could have known that a year ago.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Similarly, I uncovered Jack Portland in my A draft research last year. Now he was good enough to be the #3 (some would say #2) of a mld finalist. The rrason? Allstar voting was uncovered. Otherwise I can't justify drafting him for a team any better than aa level.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
The Yaroslavl Lokomotiv would certainly be interested in joining this draft, if you'd let me. :D

Guys, this by no means makes him eligible for the ATD if he joins here. But VI's presence in the AAA would make it a better draft. Does anyone object to him participating in this? I do not. If you do, you don't have to say so publicly, just send me a PM.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad