AA to 3rd Line Center if Hank doesn't play

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
You do know AA has spent time at center before right
In name only. While carrying an epi pen for his standing allergies to back checking and sound positioning.

AA plays hockey like that guy in drop-in who cherrypicks all game, then whines that nobody gets him the puck. Even if he grows up one day, I don't see him ever being a good fit at center.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
From MLive >> AA "thinks he can compete at high level" ...wtf? So he's admitting he was floating since he broke into the league?

Red Wings hopeful of breakout season from Andreas Athanasiou

Quotable: "I think I can compete at a high level. I think I can compete in playoffs. I kind of showed that the last time we were in the playoffs when I got in that Tampa series. I think competing at a high level is very important. There's a lot of times where the stage is big here and you have to compete on that level, and I think I do a really good job of competing on the big stage and at the highest level."

Grimm

Jul 21, 2017
?????????

Implying if we got rid of Blashill, this roster might be a contender?????????

If you have problems with the "garbage roster" your problem isn't with Jeff Blashill.

It's both of them. The roster blows but I don't think he's good for the young kids either.

LOL at your aggressiveness. Each end of the spectrum eh? Either bottom 3 or contender with a new coach! Calm down holy shit

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Maybe he’s trying to give him more responsibility and make him into a better more complete player. I don’t necessarily think center is bad for him I actually think he can be dynamic with his speed and skill up the middle as the middle of th ice is a way more dangerous area then the walls

The sense I got last season was that centering the 4th line was a demotion. He might have been sat late in a few games(?), then all of a sudden he's a C, it was strange. Again just my gut feeling but I thought Athanasiou appeared proud of the role and played into the responsibility. At the time I was barking about trying to fit a square peg into a round hole but for now as others have said, it's worth a shot.

I still don't understand the exaggerated dislike of AA by some. Sure he's not of the usual Red Wing mold but he's not that bad of a hockey player. As a 24 y/o 4th round pick he's a success story who has upside. There's every reason to think in the next 2 years he could increase the value of his $3 million salary.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
It's both of them. The roster blows but I don't think he's good for the young kids either.

It's tricky. If you hire a new coach and he clicks, the next thing you know and this team is mediocre again. Not good enough to do anything, not bad enough to get a top pick. I see what you are saying Frank, but I would wait until next season to get a new coach if the right one is out there.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Barf. Those will be some sort shifts, with a center who doesn't play defense, trying to back check after cherrypicking in the offensive zone.

The silver lining: top 5 pick, here we come.
If we are aftaid to try a guy like AA at center in this current situation, when are we ever going to have the balls to do it?

Either he learns to improve his shortcomings, or he is quickly pushed out of the center position. As a near-guaranteed bottom 5 team you can afford to try and develop players.

Reactions: Henkka

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
If we are aftaid to try a guy like AA at center in this current situation, when are we ever going to have the balls to do it?

Either he learns to improve his shortcomings, or he is quickly pushed out of the center position. As a near-guaranteed bottom 5 team you can afford to try and develop players.
Fear and risk mitigation have nothing to do with it. Like you said, right now there's nothing to lose from experimentation.

It's that I'm convinced that AA will never change his ways, and the sooner he's off the team, the better. So I suppose, in a way, this should hasten that, since I fully expect him to be a colossal failure at 3C. It's just going to be ugly to watch in the meantime. (And I would've preferred one more season of sheltered minutes on the wing, to mask his flaws as much as possible, and to help the return for dealing him at the deadline.)

Rzzie

Sep 11, 2015
Fear and risk mitigation have nothing to do with it. Like you said, right now there's nothing to lose from experimentation.

It's that I'm convinced that AA will never change his ways, and the sooner he's off the team, the better. So I suppose, in a way, this should hasten that, since I fully expect him to be a colossal failure at 3C. It's just going to be ugly to watch in the meantime. (And I would've preferred one more season of sheltered minutes on the wing, to mask his flaws as much as possible, and to help the return for dealing him at the deadline.)

Is there really any need to mask his flaws? I mean either he takes a step forward or he crashed and burn. Doubtful he has any trade value to salvage by playing sheltered minutes.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
I would honestly rather have Rasmussen as the 3rd line center than AA but whatever as long as we lose enough to get another top prospect I am good with it.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Nothing wrong with trying something to get a player who has shown major issues with work ethic to actually demonstrate some.

If it doesn't work? Maybe we lose a couple extra games and get a better draft pick. If it does? We are able to make a quality asset out of AA.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Aw, thats going to be a bad line. I just don't see AA as a creator/distributor. I thought he'd be great at LW, on a third or second line even. His speed creates problems but he's basically average imo everywhere else. I'd at least give Rasmussen a shot at the job if Red Wings are serious about bringing him up full time and playing him.

I don't think this move will last all season but I wish him the best of luck. Maybe he's a face-off wiz now. Idk. Some reason I can see Nyquist/AA playing well together on a third line, maybe, idk I just don't feel comfortable with AA at C honestly.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009

LOL at your aggressiveness. Each end of the spectrum eh? Either bottom 3 or contender with a new coach! Calm down holy ****
It's implied from your post. Are we not "wasting away Larkin's wheels and youth" if he were on a mediocre bubble team that just barely misses the playoffs? Or barely makes the playoffs and goes nowhere in them like we were doing before we started missing?

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
He's still young. Everyone matures differently. This could be the year he takes serious steps to improve himself, and the additional responsibility of center could be a catalyst for that. I won't say I expect that, but I can see it happening.

Barring that, as others have noted, worst case scenario is he fails, our third line is bad, and we get a slightly better draft pick.

Basically a risk with huge potential payoff and very little potential loss, as many seem to already write him off anyway.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

I’m not as down on him. Think he has shown decent play in the middle before and pushing him to improve his overall game could make him a better player. But biggest thing is we have few options if Z retires. AA is the biggest X factor on the current roster (not counting prospects), nothing wrong with giving him a shot.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Am I the only one upset that they are wasting away Larkin's wheels and youth for a bottom feeder garbage roster under Jeff Tankhill Trashill Blashill?

Let TANKhill tank and we gan draft high better plyers and waste less years when Larkin is on his prime.

We need the reinforcements to arrive from 2018-2020 drafts.

Last edited:

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Nothing wrong with trying something to get a player who has shown major issues with work ethic to actually demonstrate some.

If it doesn't work? Maybe we lose a couple extra games and get a better draft pick. If it does? We are able to make a quality asset out of AA.
Agreed.

And I know we're all bored because the season hasn't started yet so these things take on extra meaning (I'm certainly guilty of it). But really this is just one statement. The plan could change after they try it for half a period. It could change before the season even starts.

Reactions: ArGarBarGar

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Big opportunity for AA, it's up to him to decide his fate. Blashill can't make him skate or commit to 100% effort all the time but he can give him the chance. Contrary to some beliefs, "Trashill" has given AA opportunities before only for AA to fumble them so it'll be interesting if the leopards spots change, so to speak.

As others have said - if it works great, if it doesn't it's better lottery odds.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
No idea why anyone has a issue with this. We're going to suck regardless. If it works and AA does well his value increases greatly. If he fails he is who we thought he was,nothing lost.

marcmadsen

Sep 29, 2016
My initial reaction to this was unfavorable. But the more I think about it, the more it makes sense.

Initially I would have preferred to see Helm at 3C. Mostly because I still have dreams of being able to trade him and if he showed he could still be an effective 3C teams would at least be a little bit more open to this contract (maybe). But knowing that the likelihood of Helm being dealt is extremely small, working with AA at centre does more for the development of this team and should at least add a decision making factor when the FO determines how/if AA fits in long term.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Good. I just hopes this means we stick him there and leave him be. Give him a solid month or two to see if he can gain his footing as a center. Now is the time to experiment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->