AA signs one year deal with the Kings. $1.2M per cap friendly

ManByng

It's Me OilTastic
Aug 4, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta
1.2 is too much for a player that brings nothing more then speed and a fading 30 goal season .

What did he want from the Oilers 3+ ? I take Turris , Kahun and 1/2 of Koekkoek salary over him

me too! I think we’ve added a whole lot more depth with those players than what AA would have brought us! o_O

OilerSuperstar17

Oct 5, 2012
I hated the trade, terrible from day one by Holland, but was willing to give him a lot more time. Losing him by non qualification seemed to double down on the brutality of trading not one but TWO! second round picks for a overpriced, locker room cancer, one dimensional, Green jacket contending, middle 6 winger with a brutal agent to boot.

However. While I believe trading for him to begin with was stupid and unnecessary Holland at least used the cap savings to sign Kahun. A player that while not worth 2 seconds at least has a decent chance of being a solid middle 6 winger for us. Not as fast or talented but still a RFA after this year and a bit more of a two way guy.

I hate that he went to the Kings. They are rebuilding way too fast although surprisingly with a heavy emphasis on skill before all.

The majority of our fanbase wanted him because they thought the fact AA could skate fast made him "McDavid's ideal winger". It was pretty obvious over the years that it's not how fast a player skates, but how he thinks the game. That's why Draisaitl, Nuge, Maroon, (and to an extent) Rattie can succeed and have succeeded with Connor.

Reactions: Aerchon

OilerSuperstar17

Oct 5, 2012
Well, Holland ought to have already figured out what this player was about and what his problems were. He had intimate knowledge of them. hell I even did from the many past PUBLIC comments of coaches and his own players. AA was not even liked by players in the Detroit room and by the leadership in that room. You can't have that in hockey. Holland should've been glad to be away from the trouble, instead he recruits the person here, Ironically with one of the other team mates (Green) who also held a poor view on AA as a player.

Its very rare when there are such public comments out there on a player, on a team mate. When there are it means the player is considered toxic.

This was all unnecessary.

The other irony is we traded a consummate pro, and good guy (Sam Gagner) for this troubled player.

You got links to these comments?

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
The majority of our fanbase wanted him because they thought the fact AA could skate fast made him "McDavid's ideal winger". It was pretty obvious over the years that it's not how fast a player skates, but how he thinks the game. That's why Draisaitl, Nuge, Maroon, (and to an extent) Rattie can succeed and have succeeded with Connor.
McDavid definitely works better with smart players rather than fast players. He want's you to be where he knows you'll be.

Having speed is just a bonus.

Reactions: CanmoreMike

North

Jun 25, 2009

I think it has more to do with him having the ability to score 30 goals. Sucks it didn’t work out.

Reactions: CanmoreMike

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
Bad boo boo by Ken. AA did not have what it took to compete. Ken should have known that. Stevie Y raked him. 2 seconds ? Now detroit is full of young talent and will be a force.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Thankfully, we do have a glorious button called the 'ignore' button, and I have used it on over 300 HFBoard posters. Makes things a LOT quieter and much more bearable to read the good posts over the shitty posts from the whiners and haters

The picture of Buddhist tolerance here.

I don't think I've had a dozen people on ignore my whole time here. never more than a handful at anytime, and not usually for long.

Imagine coming to a messageboard with say 400 participants and you have 300 of them on ignore. lol, how could you even follow a discussion?

I mean I looked at that, looked at it twice, and thought, maybe a discussion board isn't for every person..

I mean if you go to a party and decide that 70% of the people at the party you can't stand, and you want to ignore those people, it might not be the right party..

just trying to be funny here.

But I'm on ignore, lol.

Last edited:

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
Oh yeah, those 2 2nds are really going to put them over the top. :monkey::silly::propeller:dunce:

Yup. My thoughts exactly.

Funny, I don’t hear Flames fans lament losing their 2010 1st round pick for an Ollie Jokinen rental in 2009. But then the pick was used on Brandon Gormley who didn’t pan out. Perspective.

Who’s to say those two seconds we gave up will pan out? We could trade a third someday for somebody and some GM uses it on the next Brayden Point and our GM - whoever he is - will be raked over the coals by fans for being an idiot.

Reactions: Oilhawks

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
I was actually on board with Ken giving up 2 picks for AA. I based my approval on Ken's history with the player, and his knowledge of the game.

I believe Ken misjudged the player now. Big mistake, for a GM that makes a lot of cash. So Ken is human.....but he's making a lot of money to produce and not make too many of these deals.

Reactions: Aerchon

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
I was actually on board with Ken giving up 2 picks for AA. I based my approval on Ken's history with the player, and his knowledge of the game.

I believe Ken misjudged the player now. Big mistake, for a GM that makes a lot of cash. So Ken is human.....but he's making a lot of money to produce and not make too many of these deals.

What happens if, god forbid, AA has a productive year in LA? Does that mean the Holland haters will admit they were wrong about AA or will they clamour for Holland’s head for not paying him when he had the chance? (And losing the dinero to sign Barrie, Turris, Kahun etc.)

:dunno:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
What happens if, god forbid, AA has a productive year in LA? Does that mean the Holland haters will admit they were wrong about AA or will they clamour for Holland’s head for not paying him when he had the chance? (And losing the dinero to sign Barrie, Turris, Kahun etc.)

Nah, its inconceivable that a Pro GM would make the same mistake on the same player twice. I mean he had to know that player, and that its established the player isn't even valued in the room in what is a team sport. As I've mentioned theres very few instances in hockey where team mates specifically call out a team mate. Yet this has happened on multiple occasions with AA and he has a history of coaches not liking his play either. It would be impossible for Holland not to be aware of that.

I mean its really a bad look for Holland to have brought this player here, and give up assets for this player. I don't know what he was possibly thinking.

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
Nah, its inconceivable that a Pro GM would make the same mistake on the same player twice. I mean he had to know that player, and that its established the player isn't even valued in the room in what is a team sport. As I've mentioned theres very few instances in hockey where team mates specifically call out a team mate. Yet this has happened on multiple occasions with AA and he has a history of coaches not liking his play either. It would be impossible for Holland not to be aware of that.

I mean its really a bad look for Holland to have brought this player here, and give up assets for this player. I don't know what he was possibly thinking.

Not a big fan of AA and said before that I’d take Kahun over him 10 times out of 10 but I have a feeling AA would have built decent chemistry given the time. He looked good in spurts. That said, he probably would have topped out around 20-15-35 and been meh defensively. Kahun is likely a 15-25-40ish (or more??) player and is much better defensively.

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010

If AA does well in L.A, it's on Holland again. Ken makes the big bucks to evaluate players. I like Holland and a lot of things he has done here BTW. I just dont think Ken is a superstar GM, yet....

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
If AA does well in L.A, it's on Holland again. Ken makes the big bucks to evaluate players. I like Holland and a lot of things he has done here BTW. I just dont think Ken is a superstar GM, yet....

No, it won't be. Because he wasn't going to sign here for 1.2

Reactions: TB12

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad