AA signs one year deal with the Kings. $1.2M per cap friendly

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Not pumping my tires, or otherwise I wouldn't mention Yamamoto and if you read through the thread I'm in it defending Aerchon from revisionist "hindsight" claims. I think its health for all of us to go back and see some of the dirt we posted. I don't really give a toss what anybody thinks of me other than that hopefully I'm occasionally funny and maybe an interesting enough read. Which it seems I am....pffft ;)
I did read the thread. Aerchon complains about everything Holland does. Complain about everything and you are bound to be right once.

GOilers88

Upside Down Canadian Flag
Dec 24, 2016
Hey, I'm just ribbing with this. everybody is wrong sometimes as quick as you can say Yamamoto. Roll a doobie, sit back, relax, and we all realize its part of just being human. We all got our bad calls at the track.

look out for me when I'm betting though;)

cheers

ps I didn't even peak at your posts in the signing AA thread. heh.

Different phrase? Helpful depth.

Detroit got rid of an ongoing distraction, Got a good solid vet with a good attitude in Gagner, and 2 good picks to help rebuild. I man thats Win, win , win at the track. Oilers got to pound sand and watch AA squander any chance and disappear half the time.
Didn't mean to sound so riled up. I enjoy your takes on most things Oilers related. I just can't get on board with saying Kenny boy and Tipp set us up to fail. I just don't see it.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Didn't mean to sound so riled up. I enjoy your takes on most things Oilers related. I just can't get on board with saying Kenny boy and Tipp set us up to fail. I just don't see it.

No worries. Hey, i generally like Holland, and I like Tippett. Its possible to state that and still think both are past their best dates. Both are competent, which is hella better than Chiarelli and dorks like Eakins. Something we can all agree on. ps I hated Chiarelli and Eakins from the word go as well.

I mean these are better times than we've had since 2006 so its all good.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
I liked the idea of adding AA. Unfortunately he just wasn't really a fit, seemed to take a long time to get going and never really got it going here. Unfortunately seems like the negative takes about him not knowing the right way to play were correct, and he also had more or less zero finish for us.

Hopefully he has some success and good luck with LA. Sucks we paid two seconds for him, but I'll take the swap out of AA for Kahun any day and ask for seconds. At the end of the day, we're talking about similiar production for the role he will play, and a guy who is more used to bringing a lunch with him to the rink. You have to appreciate Holland not falling for the sunk cost fallacy and moving on.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
I liked the idea of adding AA. Unfortunately he just wasn't really a fit, seemed to take a long time to get going and never really got it going here. Unfortunately seems like the negative takes about him not knowing the right way to play were correct, and he also had more or less zero finish for us.

Hopefully he has some success and good luck with LA. Sucks we paid two seconds for him, but I'll take the swap out of AA for Kahun any day and ask for seconds. At the end of the day, we're talking about similiar production for the role he will play, and a guy who is more used to bringing a lunch with him to the rink. You have to appreciate Holland not falling for the sunk cost fallacy and moving on.
Could you imagine if Holland had too much pride to admit he was wrong and qualified AA instead of moving on and managing to sign better players with the money AA would have got?

Reactions: nabob

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Not pumping my tires, or otherwise I wouldn't mention Yamamoto and if you read through the thread I'm in it defending Aerchon from revisionist "hindsight" claims. I think its health for all of us to go back and see some of the dirt we posted. I don't really give a toss what anybody thinks of me other than that hopefully I'm occasionally funny and maybe an interesting enough read. Which it seems I am....pffft ;)

Appreciated for the defense. Little enough of that on these boards. Many like to pile on when a perceived error was made. I always look at this board as dialogue rather than trying to be right or wrong. Things change so much and I feel it safe to say everyone on here has good portions of being "right" or "wrong".

I'm right enough that I typically don't sweat the times I'm wrong or someone disagrees with me. I have a loyal fan base here especially in regards to Holland and Broberg. I've ignored more than a few after how outraged some got the last time I was right ;-)

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Praise needs to be given to Holland and Tippett for the success during the regular season. But to be fair they need to be rightly blamed for terrible moves at the deadline and in the play ins.

Tippett and to a slightly lesser extent Holland were the biggest reasons the Oilers got spanked in the play ins, imo. The team also didn't play well but they were set up for failure.

To be fair there 2 parts here . The team was playing good and Holland said he would help them . He kept his word .

The 2nd part was the trades were made before Covid-19 shut the league down . Teams have to over pay at the trade deadline in assets . Signing UFA you overpay in cash and or term best to avoid going after a player during these periods.

Lots of Oilers fans were on board with going after AA . I thought he would be good . But what to I know .

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
Appreciated for the defense. Little enough of that on these boards. Many like to pile on when a perceived error was made. I always look at this board as dialogue rather than trying to be right or wrong. Things change so much and I feel it safe to say everyone on here has good portions of being "right" or "wrong".

I'm right enough that I typically don't sweat the times I'm wrong or someone disagrees with me. I have a loyal fan base here especially in regards to Holland and Broberg. I've ignored more than a few after how outraged some got the last time I was right ;-)
Seems reasonable to assume Holland got it wrong, although I would hesitate to say he set them up for failure. More like he tried and it didn't work out. Mincing words I know but a GM not doing anything with his team fighting for a playoff spot is setting them up for failure, as Drivesaitl pointed out it is no minor feat making foreign pieces fit mid season but you have to try. I liked the Green addition in theory but the combination of the injury and pandemic made that deal null. AA had red flags all over it and Holland had already had a tough time negotiating with AA before and assuming if you pay 2 2nds you are resigning him. I'm thinking Holland will never ever try to trade for or sign this guy again lol...but never say never I guess.

Reactions: Aerchon

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
1.2 is too much for a player that brings nothing more then speed and a fading 30 goal season .

What did he want from the Oilers 3+ ? I take Turris , Kahun and 1/2 of Koekkoek salary over him

And turned down ~2M from us this off-season. If the guy had any confidence in his abilities then chance to play with McDrai should have been the opportunity of a lifetime to get his stock up to cash in on a future contract. Just a huge miscalculation by him and his agent to drag this all out and be left with scraps and a coach that absolutely despises entitled and lazy players.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
I did read the thread. Aerchon complains about everything Holland does. Complain about everything and you are bound to be right once.

I think it's ok to complain about our GM.

I think it's rather that he still defends our last GM, the worst GM in the last 10 years, in contrast that makes it really lack in value.

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
Just a huge miscalculation by him and his agent to drag this all out and be left with scraps and a coach that absolutely despises entitled and lazy players.

I wonder who this decision falls on the most: player or agent? If it was the agent...geez. That’s a bad look.

And if it’s the player - wonder if there were personal reasons or just greed and arrogance?

Oilslick941611

slapshot into the empty net...utterly irrelevant
Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
It's because it's 100 times easier to be negative all the time than to be positive.
totally, then you take that negative attitude and cloak it in "independent" thought and you have half the oiler board united in one thing and one thing only, hating the oilers, and everything they do. You really have to think why they are fans of the team when all they do is criticize, its sports, and life is short, find a team you enjoy.Theres no "credit" in being the cantankerous old coot crying about how we wasted 5th round pick. Unless of course the only thing you enjoy you is criticizing.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
And turned down ~2M from us this off-season. If the guy had any confidence in his abilities then chance to play with McDrai should have been the opportunity of a lifetime to get his stock up to cash in on a future contract. Just a huge miscalculation by him and his agent to drag this all out and be left with scraps and a coach that absolutely despises entitled and lazy players.

Yeah AA did us a favour when he refused Holland’s offer . Good bye to the slacker .

Reactions: subnet

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
totally, then you take that negative attitude and cloak it in "independent" thought and you have half the oiler board united in one thing and one thing only, hating the oilers, and everything they do. You really have to think why they are fans of the team when all they do is criticize, its sports, and life is short, find a team you enjoy.Theres no "credit" in being the cantankerous old coot crying about how we wasted 5th round pick. Unless of course the only thing you enjoy you is criticizing.

Thankfully, we do have a glorious button called the 'ignore' button, and I have used it on over 300 HFBoard posters. Makes things a LOT quieter and much more bearable to read the good posts over the shitty posts from the whiners and haters

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

You actually usually just ignore people when they don't share your view on things and call you out on stuff when you're wrong. It's much easier to post bullshit here when its an echochamber for you.

Reactions: Declassified

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
Forgive my earlier outburst.
I hope Andreas finds success, but not too much, with the Kings.

sandhu111

Mar 17, 2008
Edmonton, AB
No worries. Hey, i generally like Holland, and I like Tippett. Its possible to state that and still think both are past their best dates. Both are competent, which is hella better than Chiarelli and dorks like Eakins. Something we can all agree on. ps I hated Chiarelli and Eakins from the word go as well.

I mean these are better times than we've had since 2006 so its all good.
I like tippett alot as a coach despite his bad calls in the very odd time of the play-ins.
He's a very competent, smart and from players descriptions of him is that he is personable well at the straight time being a straight shooter.
Holland is past his prime but still with his pedigree building around mcdavid, draisaitl should be a tasks that he is more than competent enough for

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad