AA signs one year deal with the Kings. $1.2M per cap friendly

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I'd like to personally thank AA and his braintrust lawyer for testing the market. The Oil are a deeper team though the covid cap and these two misreading the buyer's market. It would have been nice to see this player have more time to see if he could gel as an Oiler but it wasn't meant to be as they chased the big money. Bonne chance speed racer.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I hated the trade, terrible from day one by Holland, but was willing to give him a lot more time. Losing him by non qualification seemed to double down on the brutality of trading not one but TWO! second round picks for a overpriced, locker room cancer, one dimensional, Green jacket contending, middle 6 winger with a brutal agent to boot.

However. While I believe trading for him to begin with was stupid and unnecessary Holland at least used the cap savings to sign Kahun. A player that while not worth 2 seconds at least has a decent chance of being a solid middle 6 winger for us. Not as fast or talented but still a RFA after this year and a bit more of a two way guy.

I hate that he went to the Kings. They are rebuilding way too fast although surprisingly with a heavy emphasis on skill before all.

Reactions: Beerfish

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I hated the trade, terrible from day one by Holland, but was willing to give him a lot more time. Losing him by non qualification seemed to double down on the brutality of trading not one but TWO! second round picks for a overpriced, locker room cancer, one dimensional, Green jacket contending, middle 6 winger with a brutal agent to boot.

However. While I believe trading for him to begin with was stupid and unnecessary Holland at least used the cap savings to sign Kahun. A player that while not worth 2 seconds at least has a decent chance of being a solid middle 6 winger for us. Not as fast or talented but still a RFA after this year and a bit more of a two way guy.

I hate that he went to the Kings. They are rebuilding way too fast although surprisingly with a heavy emphasis on skill before all.
So you're upset that the oilers traded for him because he's a bad player, and you're also upset that the King's signed them because he's going to help them rebuild?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
It is what it is. COVID bit the Oilers in the butt in that instance, but by the same token, COVID situation probably also gave the Oilers Barrie at a price they wouldn't have otherwise been able to afford, just in the nick of time with Klefbom out.

Also let us sign Ennis, Turris, Koekkoek, Kahun all for cheaper than we would have otherwise and get Bear signed for cheaper than he probably was going to get otherwise too.

So all around I think we come out ahead.

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
At the time of the trade, I had fully believed that he would do well with the Oilers; I was completely wrong.
Just based on, once again, subjective premonition, I have more faith in Turris and Puljujarvi to produce at the same/better rate and be better defensively.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
At the time of the trade, I had fully believed that he would do well with the Oilers; I was completely wrong.
Just based on, once again, subjective premonition, I have more faith in Turris and Puljujarvi to produce at the same/better rate and be better defensively.

Its a high bar..;)

Unfortunately I nailed this one. That AA wouldn't be much different than Spooner was here. The 30 goal season was really outlier, and I broke down why I thought so, when we acquired this wildly inconsistent project.

Don't like what we gave up for him but other than that glad he's gone.

ps Thanks for the 1 goal. I don't even remember it.

Holland got taken twice by this one. That shouldn't happen.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aerchon

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Holland made a mistake on the trade but didn't compound his error by signing AA to an expensive contract.

One of the signs of good leadership is the ability to take your lumps and move on, avoiding panic and not falling into the trap of "saving face" ----with one bad decision piled on another.

I don't think Holland is a water walker but as many have said on these threads he is simply a cooler and more reasoned head than Chia.

Reactions: Aerrol and ujju2

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I wish that he would've signed for that here as IMO he could be a good NHLer, that said, he chose elsewhere so f*** 'em.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Loved the trade till I saw him play. Holland had the guy he should have known better

He straight up said a reason he paid up for him was because he knew him :(

Definitely a big miss on Holland's record here. But hey, we've seen much much worse by an Oilers GM :) And Holland has lots of time to make up for it.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Holland made a mistake on the trade but didn't compound his error by signing AA to an expensive contract.

One of the signs of good leadership is the ability to take your lumps and move on, avoiding panic and not falling into the trap of "saving face" ----with one bad decision piled on another.

I don't think Holland is a water walker but as many have said on these threads he is simply a cooler and more reasoned head than Chia.

Well, Holland ought to have already figured out what this player was about and what his problems were. He had intimate knowledge of them. hell I even did from the many past PUBLIC comments of coaches and his own players. AA was not even liked by players in the Detroit room and by the leadership in that room. You can't have that in hockey. Holland should've been glad to be away from the trouble, instead he recruits the person here, Ironically with one of the other team mates (Green) who also held a poor view on AA as a player.

Its very rare when there are such public comments out there on a player, on a team mate. When there are it means the player is considered toxic.

This was all unnecessary.

The other irony is we traded a consummate pro, and good guy (Sam Gagner) for this troubled player.

Last edited:

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Covid totally scuttled AAs chance to build chemistry here.

It was a good trade to try out. I dont think the lesson for Holland is never to get a good rental, and pay more for RFA control.

Covid destroyed the value of that trade, but also opened the chance for us to get Kahun, who would still be a Sabre if not for Covid.

So in this case it worked out for everyone. At least Holland didnt keep AA at all costs to save face

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Well, Holland ought to have already figured out what this player was about and what his problems were. He had intimate knowledge of them. hell I even did from the many past PUBLIC comments of coaches and his own players. AA was not even liked by players in the Detroit room and by the leadership in that room. You can't have that in hockey. Holland should've been glad to be away from the trouble, instead he recruits the person here, Ironically with one of the other team mates (Green) who also held a poor view on AA as a player.

Its very rare when there are such public comments out there on a player, on a team mate. When there are it means the player is considered toxic.

This was all unnecessary.

There is certainly something to be said for reputation but it isn't always accurate.

Many people said that Taylor Hall was a cancer in the dressing room but others describe him as friendly and outgoing and make note of the fact that he never asked "out" during some of the darkest days of the franchise. Which is it? I don't know because seeing is believing.

Its the same way with Puls. Some say he is childish and lazy while others point out that he was poorly handled by an inept and frustrating coaching/management team. Again, which is the real truth?

My own experience with people says that sometimes reputation is warranted and sometimes it isn't.

My original point was that if Chia had made this trade (and I could certainly see that) he probably would have signed AA to a new contract. He never learned his lesson about bad trades and always seemed to compound his mistakes.

The other irony is we traded a consummate pro, and good guy (Sam Gagner) for this troubled player.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
The trade for AA was bad enough, but when he traded for the aging and oft injured Mike Green too (who got injured almost the minute he suited up for us - surprise!), that made the deadline a disaster for him. Not having a 4th round pick isn't the end of the world, but when you combine it with not having a 2nd or a 3rd this year, that's a bunch of assets given away for nothing.

ZenOil

Fast Twitch Hitch
Sep 23, 2010
Vancouver
There wasn't enough time to properly asses the player. But he was trending down undeniably. The speed freak in me is sad to see him go. Oh well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->